Inline fan muffler

• Thread starter Gandalf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gandalf

Anyone using them?

I heard it really reduces the noise generated by inline fans.
Any word of experience? Are they really worth the $$?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Yup. Love it. Super quiet.

Cheap too.

101480d1283788507t-diy-fan-muffler-img_1593.jpg.att

-TF

G

gudkarma

trich's version is low budget phatness for usre.

i use one... and it quiets the "wooshing" sound on the outside of my intake 100%.

G

Gandalf

Thanks guys!

I dont have equipment to build a wonderful device as you sires did (wish I had the time!)
I think I'll just buy one from the hydro store - they have a 4" silencer for under 55 bucks!

a question tho - what does the silencer 'silences' ?
is it the RPM of the motor, or the actual air flow?

(better yet - what makes the noise - the air or the motor?)

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Thanks guys!

I dont have equipment to build a wonderful device as you sires did (wish I had the time!)
I think I'll just buy one from the hydro store - they have a 4" silencer for under 55 bucks!

a question tho - what does the silencer 'silences' ?
is it the RPM of the motor, or the actual air flow?

(better yet - what makes the noise - the air or the motor?)

The muffler is not that bad to make. There are some more simple designs on here as well.

And to answer your question. Both the fan and the wind input/output makes the noise. Make sure that if your store bought silencer is packed with fiberglass, to vent it to a non inhabited area.

May the force be with you.

-TF

U

username09

you can also use dynamat (yes, the material they use for car audio) on your fan to quiet down the vibrations and overall noise. just stick it on the fan housing and you'll be surprised at the difference it makes.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

You mean this stuff on the fan in the picture? Dynamat Xtreme. I highly recommend it. Makes the big difference on the fan motor noise.
112770d1289287747t-10-x-10-mpb-room-build-img_1892.jpg.att

Latest posts

Top Bottom