Inline fan upgrade to quite

• Thread starter Dano110
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dano110

I'm looking to upgrade my fan to something quite and hopefully more efficient. Currently have a 4" inline @ 135 cfm. Standing near the tent I have around 43 decibels. Any suggestions on a 4" inline that has a lower decibel level?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

What kind do you have now?

The cheapest quiet fans I've tried are infinity cloudline fans, but I've never tried a 4". The only quieter ones are used for bathroom fans and they are quite pricey. When I looked into it, they were at least $600 each, and that was about 4 years ago.

Blastfact

Blastfact

Only way over all to address the issue is a larger fan and turn it slower = less RPM. Your still going to have velocity noise regardless. CFM = noise. And nobody in the cannabis grow game is going to offer a true low noise fan like large cooling towers, blowers and axial fans manufactures. The tech and engineering needed cost right at twice a normal fan design and only offers a 5% to 7% db drop if it's all done perfectly. They always claim more but you never get it....

D

Dano110

What kind do you have now?

The cheapest quiet fans I've tried are infinity cloudline fans, but I've never tried a 4". The only quieter ones are used for bathroom fans and they are quite pricey. When I looked into it, they were at least $600 each, and that was about 4 years ago.
One I have now is a cheap made that came with the tent. I've looked at the infinity for around $100 I think maybe would be ok for me idk lol

D

Dano110

Only way over all to address the issue is a larger fan and turn it slower = less RPM. Your still going to have velocity noise regardless. CFM = noise. And nobody in the cannabis grow game is going to offer a true low noise fan like large cooling towers, blowers and axial fans manufactures. The tech and engineering needed cost right at twice a normal fan design and only offers a 5% to 7% db drop if it's all done perfectly. They always claim more but you never get it....
I think if I had a speed control and slow the rpm would help, at 135 cfm the tent has no problem with pulling air. 32x32x63 tent. I would prefer a fan with a built in control instead of adding on to my current. The exhaust on the fan isn't really loud, most the noise is from inside thru the carbon filter.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

One I have now is a cheap made that came with the tent. I've looked at the infinity for around $100 I think maybe would be ok for me idk lol
As I said, I have a couple of 6" infinity fans, and they're great. I chose them for the low noise level, because my grow is directly under my bedroom.

2Bad

2Bad

I have a large ac infinity exhaust fan and I use a silencer on it and it cuts the volume down SIGNIFICANTLY . Best investment i've ever made hand to god.

edit: for reference i'm in a 4x8 tent so the fan usually gets turned up high.

Gorbo

Gorbo

I had the same problem, I live in an apartment. And when I was starting I built a soundproofing box just a wood box with Styrofoam insulation to put the inline fan inside and it works GREAT for that problem. Also you want your ductwork to be the straightest and shortest it can be that will also help keep sound down.

Couldn't find the same thread that taught me, but this is basically what I did, just with Styrofoam insulation in-between the fan and walls of the box

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom