Insane in the Membrane

• Thread starter ProGroWannabe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

herby

I was looking at those lights from worms way as well. Nice lights but is there any advantage over a 400w hps? That t5 is also 400 w and is very pricey. One last ? what is the height from your grow medium to your light in those pictures? Just to get a sense of the penetration for the t5's?

Thanks and great job bro!!

P

ProGroWannabe

Right now herby the light is about 16 inches away from the surface of the grow medium.

As for an advantage, I think the biggest advantage is in the fact that you can run it in a space that has shitty ventilation, since the heat that it produces is both lower than an HPS (not by a lot) and is spread out over the entire surface of the light.

After having ran this fixture, I think there are two, near-perfect, applications for this 8-bulb unit. One is vegging plants, the other is for a SoG or ScoG. The light distribution is beautifully even. I've noticed that the nearer the plant(s) are to the center of the fixture, the more intense light they receive....kinda stands to reason really.

All in all, I really like this light and I think it would really shine (pun intended) above a Ebb&Flow table. All of it's advantages tell me that it would likely out-perform a 400 HPS over a small table.....might be wrong though. If you get one to flower with, strongly consider SoG!

H

herby

Thanks PGW.. What you have done here is truly impressive. Since I am just getting set up this is great info.

P

ProGroWannabe

Herby....Anytime you have questions man, you just hit me up. I'll take care of ya! If I don't have the answer, the many great minds here can provide a reliable answer, I'm sure.

Tolpan...thank you! I try.

S

stone69

Can all strains be started on 12/12 or just this one?
Thanks Pro...

M

Mr Green

this was a really good thread.. i am really impressed.. the thought, idea,and results.. job well done

P

ProGroWannabe

Thank you Mr.Green! I'm definitely happy with the results.

P

ProGroWannabe

LST stands for Low Stress Training. It's a method of training a plant to grow in a specific manner or direction. It's done by tying the stems of the plant down to something--usually the pot it's in.

In this thread I utilized LST to maximize the lower intensity light of the floro fixture so that I could get maximum use of the light I had to work with. Basically, the hazes were tied down at many intervals along their stems to keep them low to the container. Had I not done this, these plants would have been 5 feet tall and everything except the very top buds would have been light-starved and practically worthless.

Go back and look at some of the "overall" shots where all of the plants are shown in one pic. If you look closely, you can see a bunch of the strings that are holding the plants down.

S

stone69

Man what an Awesome grow. Those T5 lights are tiny compared to the T15's I have, but I found some "Wal-mart compared to 100 watt" cfl bulbs and they are super bright compared to the T15's, the T5's must put out alot of light. You surely are a Pro...

Moe Danks

Moe Danks

great grow Pro. them buds look really nice. the fruits from your labor should definitely be enjoyable.

also,i'm thinkin i might need to pick up some T5 lights in the future. after seeing how good you did with them, and seeing how good a 250w MH can do, i'm thinking that 400hps lights might just be a waste of money. :thinking

S

Skunkenstein

Very Impressed

If a person can grow haze or any Sat. dom strain under t-5's then just imagine what could be done with an Indy dom like Sensi star.You would basically have a whole plant stacked with solid bud.Hats off to you..Love to see someone breaking the rules and suceeding!!:rock

D

drpressure600

so where you at with this tread pro, reading this tread, 'anxious i am' . .

P

ProGroWannabe

Moe....thanks for kindness bro. The T5 8-bulb is a very capable option but Tommy hit the nail on the head. It is only "better" for a temperature sensitive area like the cabinet that mine is in. Otherwise, an HPS makes for easier yields. The amount of LST necessary to pull this one off was unreal. Throughout the stretch, I spent at least one hour everyday tying and retying to maximize light exposure.

Skunkenstein....Thank you. We ARE all rule breakers, afterall;)

It's all done drpressure. All that bud is in the jars now.

Moe Danks

Moe Danks

Don't get me wrong, i think that 600w hps lights are great. they cost about $50-$75 more dollars than the 400w, and have almost double the lumes, with about the same amount of heat. that also cost a bit on electricity. so with a 400w hps light, you have to keep in pretty considerably higher than a 250w MH or 8 T5 bubls. taking away from the growth of mid and lower nugs.

also i'm sure that you would have to get use to the T5 set-up. but PGW you obviously showed us the power behind these t5 light. and with these LED experiments going on, i just am starting to look at the 400w hps as a waste of money. this is concerning small closet/cab/w.e grows. for the big rooms i wouldn't doubt the use of any hps lights.

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I think I'll be replacing my 400HPS pre flower with 2 more UFO's to help cut some more power . Nice stuff PGW with the T5's:clapping

Top Bottom