Insect identification

• Thread starter Buttercup726
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buttercup726

Buttercup726

I’m hoping and praying this is not a root aphid and hopefully it’s one of the good guys. I’ve have a video and some still photos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry. Not the best quality. But hopefully the video helps out

Insect identification
Insect identification 2
Insect identification 3
Insect identification 4
Buttercup726

Buttercup726

I know the pics are not good quality. But anyone with some input or thoughts?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The pics are impossible to tell. But the video zoomed in does look like an aphid, but it's hard to say for certain.

Are you getting any other sign like yellowing leaves or a white chalky substance on the soil surface?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
The pics are impossible to tell. But the video zoomed in does look like an aphid, but it's hard to say for certain.

Are you getting any other sign like yellowing leaves or a white chalky substance on the soil surface?
Lol, stoned didn’t see the video link:)

Buttercup726

Buttercup726

Mannnn I hope not. No chalky white substance. Using og bio foliar pack every third feeding at 15 mls per gallon. I was hoping h. Miles. I did introduce them like a month ago 😠

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Mannnn I hope not. No chalky white substance. Using og bio foliar pack every third feeding at 15 mls per gallon. I was hoping h. Miles. I did introduce them like a month ago 😠

Oh well dude that's probably what it is. Looks like stratio for sure. They have similar body shape and colour as RA's. And honestly the way it was moving in the Video looked to be moving too fast and generally more active than RA's.

Take a deep breath, relax and carry on bro. Dont start worrying unless you see other signs of RA like the white chalky poo substance they leave on the surface

Buttercup726

Buttercup726

Oh well dude that's probably what it is. Looks like stratio for sure. They have similar body shape and colour as RA's. And honestly the way it was moving in the Video looked to be moving too fast and generally more active than RA's.

Take a deep breath, relax and carry on bro. Dont start worrying unless you see other signs of RA like the white chalky poo substance they leave on the surface

Deep breaths brother and feeling a little relieved now.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Those are not springtails. I agree with h miles or root aphids. Look similar. Pic too blurry.

But i also agree they are not moving real
Slow like aphids.

Buttercup726

Buttercup726

I also did the potato test but didn’t really see anything. Here a few pics

993AF8CC 7C1F 4A54 8A5A 16BD3A17783B
7CF239FC 7D39 43E3 B7A6 33C8FE931562
84C09514 1980 44B6 BA80 C0E5DF55404E
Mr Bee

Mr Bee

It's hard to be sure but those look like mites or something.root aphids have 2 little bits like a exhaust pipe on a car but one on each side.if u can get a couple out under natural sunlight on a piece or paper or something we can maybe get a better shot a identifying whatever it is.if it's root aphids they can be identified by the wee exhaust pipes on each side at the back of the bug.
My first instinct was it looks like a mite.if you have a lot of life in your medium there's sometimes small predator mites that feed on them but what u have looks bigger than the predator mites though.
Have you noticed any slowing of growth or lack of vigor or anything to suggest your root zones been compromised?
If you have $25/30 I suggest you buy some nematodes for fungus gnats.theyr sold as nematodes for fg but those nematodes should kill any and all insect life in your soil.it won't affect beneficial bacteria or anything.i read they should kill all insects in the soil but at the same time I,v never personally used em on root aphids.thankfully I v never had em but I,v seen people on here who did and they had to scrap they'r whole grow and dump everything but the lights and fans which they thoroughly cleaned.they even got rid of the carpets.waited a few months bought all new pots,new Mylar for the walls,new carbon filters etc etc and got a grow going.within a few weeks they were infested with root aphids again.
They'r not a pest I would like to deal with no matter what the people selling those nematodes say they can do.if I did have ra though I would give the nematodes a try.i hope that's not what u have though

Buttercup726

Buttercup726

It's hard to be sure but those look like mites or something.root aphids have 2 little bits like a exhaust pipe on a car but one on each side.if u can get a couple out under natural sunlight on a piece or paper or something we can maybe get a better shot a identifying whatever it is.if it's root aphids they can be identified by the wee exhaust pipes on each side at the back of the bug.
My first instinct was it looks like a mite.if you have a lot of life in your medium there's sometimes small predator mites that feed on them but what u have looks bigger than the predator mites though.
Have you noticed any slowing of growth or lack of vigor or anything to suggest your root zones been compromised?
If you have $25/30 I suggest you buy some nematodes for fungus gnats.theyr sold as nematodes for fg but those nematodes should kill any and all insect life in your soil.it won't affect beneficial bacteria or anything.i read they should kill all insects in the soil but at the same time I,v never personally used em on root aphids.thankfully I v never had em but I,v seen people on here who did and they had to scrap they'r whole grow and dump everything but the lights and fans which they thoroughly cleaned.they even got rid of the carpets.waited a few months bought all new pots,new Mylar for the walls,new carbon filters etc etc and got a grow going.within a few weeks they were infested with root aphids again.
They'r not a pest I would like to deal with no matter what the people selling those nematodes say they can do.if I did have ra though I would give the nematodes a try.i hope that's not what u have though

Thanks for the thought out response. I hope not RAs. I can’t deal with them. They are so persistent and once you let off a little bit they are back at full force. I’m hoping it’s h miles. I’m going to try to take a sample tonight. It was so fast and I only seen like two of them. Plants are flourishing but I seen plants with RAs flourish until like week 5 of flower then they totally took a nose dive. No fliers either sooo

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
They DON'T look like spider mites, at least to me. The biggest signs of them are usually tiny reddish spots or specks on the larger fan leaves. The mites themselves are very hard to see, smaller than a pepper speck, almost too small to see. I saw them mainly on the leaves, but they might be in the dirt as well. For being almost un-seeable, it's amazing how much they hurt and slow down the growth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom