Intervals; Fresh weed on a regular schedule

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

Hi all, This thread will be about interval gardening- and I can tell already that one of the biggest bones of contention will be exactly what to call this technology. I've already heard interval (which I like because its descriptive), pipelining, assembly line, etc etc. So feel free to chime in with what you'd call it, and let the consensus arise naturally, like a thread of smoke from a fine spliff...

The basics of intervals are these; that you have a constant number of plants in each of multiple stages, which all switch from one stage to the next at the same time. This allows a grower to fine-tune each stage to be the perfect size, temp, light intensity, nute strength, etc for each phase of the plants' life cycle... when done correctly which maximizes yields and quality.

The overview first, then we can get into the weeds about deets;
1. cloning- it has to be this way, since strain constancy is key to building an interval system that produces consistent results.

2. early veg- the usual, although since I have several veg stages, I like to use the time wisely to top and train the plants to branch out better and create an ideal canopy.

3. Peak veg- where the plants grow strong and fast, taking on the shape you want for their eventual blooming cycle.

4. prebloom- where the dark interval gets longer and the final topping and trimming takes place.

5. early bud- the plant grows vigorously, setting up budding sites and filling in.

6. peak bloom- overall growth slows as the plant puyts its energy into manufacturing massive buds

7. late bloom/finish- heavy trichome production, ripening and flush happen here, just before harvest, trim n cure!

The system depends on each stage being set up so that all the plants move from one stage to the next at the same time. It takes awhile to balance things, but once it's running, you get fresh bud- and a manageable amount of work- every cycle, which could be as long as 4 weeks, or as short as weekly.

Upsides include the ability to fine tune every stage of your growth cycle, and provides for- almost forces, really- the discipline to create consistent, repeatable results. Also, since you see every stage over and over, you can really begin to tell just by looking what's going on, and if there are problems before they get out of hand.

Downsides- and there always are a few- are that you can't really have too many different strains, since the whole thing depends so much on timing, once you have established a harvest time, you pretty much have to keep it the same, so no sativas mixed in with the indicas! Also, while the work is spread out, the clock becomes the boss; when its time to do something, it can't be put off for a few days until you get back from Tahoe- it's gotta get done NOW.

There are a million more details about how this works and different approaches, but that's what a thread is for!

As ever, I can't wait to see what the good people here think of this approach?

LBH

LBH

This is commonly referred to as a perpetual grow. Lots and lots of legal folks do it. I personally am allowed 12 and 12 so I plant 4 seeds and harvest 4 plants every 4 weeks or so

ttystikk

ttystikk

This is commonly referred to as a perpetual grow. Lots and lots of legal folks do it. I personally am allowed 12 and 12 so I plant 4 seeds and harvest 4 plants every 4 weeks or so

Perpetual grow is a blanket term for any setup that has separate grow and bloom areas. What I'm describing is taking this to the logical next step, which is a regimented assembly line approach, which yields specific benefits over just having some in veg and others in bloom all the time.

The system you describe is a completely legitimate 4 week interval setup. just optimize the zones for the plants that will live in there and you're stylin'!

For those with more room, or want more frequent harvests, splitting your flowering time into 3 or four stages makes sense, and those also are examples of interval grows. In fat, once you get to 6 or 7 stages, you can get very specific about creating the ideal conditions for your plants in that slice of their lifecycle, with exact amounts of light, heat, space and nutrients and additives. the more intervals, the more control you have, and potentially, the bigger your yields!

J

Jsän

Kind of like a SOG with 20x's more work?

honestly tho,
the space required to split your veg into 3-4 stages, you could have grown more/larger plants. The environmental differences in vegetative state are minimal at best.

Off-setting your flower rooms into 2rooms/30days apart works, adding a "finishing room" is a GREAT idea, especially for those running 10+ week strains.

But IMHO the "assembly line" has already been covered by SOG. Even if you dont run "True" Sea of Green, (ie single cola/no veg) the pattern is already there.

sorry im a patient as well and the idea of moving (per se) 1 plant a week through 6 stations is tiring to even consider. Might as well move 2 thru 3 stations for "comparable yields" for half the stress/space.

just a ha-penny.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I don't pretend tha one answer is right for everyone. For small plant numbers, fewer intervals makes sense.

On the other hand, sea of green isn't an all things to all people solution, either. For one, its a lot of stems and that's an undeniable risk. Two, it does not lend itslf to managewble amounts of workload; sometimes there's nothing to do, other times, like harvest n trimming, you're overwhelmed. Three, it isn't as space efficient.

LBH

LBH

Why are strems risky, you completely lost me on this one,lol

and if a sog isnt space efficient, wouldnt a cycle with more stages be even less space efficient??

R

RMCG

I have the following in my perpetual:

'pre-Veg' - E&F table 400w MH - fresh rooted clones 2-3 weeks to get roots down
Veg - UC system 1k MH - 3-4 weeks
(2) Flower rooms - 4k alternating monthly (strain dependent) harvest

I get rooted clones, so I don't have that 'station', but I could just as easily.

3 moves over ~ 1.5/2 months, once every 3 weeks or so.

If you are looking to harvest every week, it will be very dependent on your grow style. You will also have 4-8x the work, as each 'batch' will be on a different nutrient regimen. Workable in very small gardens or VERY large gardens, where you dedicate a Room/System to that week. No need to 'physically' move them, but nutrient requirements will shuffle down the systems depending on which week they are in. Not saying its unworkable, just that it takes a lot of work/planning to pull off successfully for any length of time.

ttystikk

ttystikk

RMCG, glad to see you here! I guess the heart of the perpetual/interval system I'm building out is based on making it so moving plants is so trivially easy, you can do 100 in15 minutes' work. That takes all the inconsistencies of reconfiguring the environment out of the picture, and lends itself to more consistent results. At least that's been my own experience. ..

R

Relaxed420

I too call this a perpetual garden and for the last few years this is how I try to set up most of my gardens like this, so that A: the workload is lighter, but more often/consistent (easier to get 3-4 trimmers every 2-3 weeks than 8-10 every other month) and B: I have smoke every few weeks, it's seems easier to consistent for the shops as well, just as they are finishing up the last batch the next is fresh and ready to go for them and the 2nd round hasn't gotten dried out, misplaced or more importantly SMOKED UP before it generates the reimbursement!

Man, why move the plants around when you can keep them in a stable enviroment for the entire grow, ie. have a dedicated mom/clone ROOM, dedicated VEG room (% just showing up and the same % leaving room), then separate bloom areas for the intervals, like I have 4 flower rooms so every 2-3 weeks depending on if it is an 8 or 10 week strain (2 rooms each, they offset and I will be adding a few more rooms soon to even out the harvest even further) carrying around 40-70 plants at a time between rooms is a big enough pain let along having to do it several times like you state, once they go to a room they are done moving till they are done flowering. Much easier on my back, legs and arms!

I_Love_THC

I_Love_THC

It all sounds cool, but I'd take outdoor or /if it has to be indoors/ SoG anytime to the Interval growing, since it's just not worth the effort and I personnaly don't like being that much of a control freak, hehe... And if you'd say that it's about providing the perfect conditions to the plants - well, it's just not any good to think that we can do better than the Mother Nature... Less is always more - less interfireing to the plants' lives, better results... if not in quantity, then in quality...
But, hey - that's just my humble opinion, don't wanna get you mad with my ignorance, hehe... just sharing thoughts, friends...
Lots of Love and Positive Vibes!
Peace and Blessings from the THC Lover.

ttystikk

ttystikk

It all sounds cool, but I'd take outdoor or /if it has to be indoors/ SoG anytime to the Interval growing, since it's just not worth the effort and I personnaly don't like being that much of a control freak, hehe... And if you'd say that it's about providing the perfect conditions to the plants - well, it's just not any good to think that we can do better than the Mother Nature... Less is always more - less interfireing to the plants' lives, better results... if not in quantity, then in quality...
But, hey - that's just my humble opinion, don't wanna get you mad with my ignorance, hehe... just sharing thoughts, friends...
Lots of Love and Positive Vibes!
Peace and Blessings from the THC Lover.

Hey lover- nothing about this is unnatural. Mother nature just doesn't provide ideal conditions very often so its up to us to do it! Besides, the modern discerning customer won't stand for truly 'au naturel' weed cuz the quality would be inferior!

marski420

marski420

^^^ Word .. You can get some good outdoor but the bomb dank comes from within!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Something to consider for the purposes of this particular thread; I am NOT advocating that *everyone* immediately switch what's been working for them for months/years/decades cuz they've been doing it wrong!!!!!- Instead, this thread is about exploring an alternative idea that may resonate with at least a few growers out there who want to maximize the fficiency of a limited growing space, or reduce their cost per unit of output...

If one develops an easy way to move plants, then it becomes a practical possibility to move them from one purpose-built environment to the next, thereby opening up the options for more closely tuning the environment to each stage of the plant's growth. We already do this for veg vs. bloom cycles, this just carries that idea forward to its logical conclusion. Early bloom plants will want different conditions than late stage- nutes and additive needs will be different, lighting needs will differ, space required will be bigger (you hope!)...

bloads

bloads

My biggest pain doing this is some days having to mix up to 4 different batches of feed, as opposed to 2 max.

ttystikk

ttystikk

My biggest pain doing this is some days having to mix up to 4 different batches of feed, as opposed to 2 max.

The way around this issue is to consider feeding for the entire cycle- that is, the duration of the time the plants will be in one particular zone- all at once. Easy to do with hydroponics; just put the nutes in at the beginning and let 'er rip! Also not too tough with soil- put the necessary goodies in the soil, and then amend once every cycle.

I move mine every two weeks, so it's very easy to mix up the proper nutes and apply right then. This way, it's all done and no need to keep complicated schedules.

bloads

bloads

The way around this issue is to consider feeding for the entire cycle- that is, the duration of the time the plants will be in one particular zone- all at once. Easy to do with hydroponics; just put the nutes in at the beginning and let 'er rip! Also not too tough with soil- put the necessary goodies in the soil, and then amend once every cycle.

I move mine every two weeks, so it's very easy to mix up the proper nutes and apply right then. This way, it's all done and no need to keep complicated schedules.

Yeah, atm I'm handwatering coco, so it's sort of a hassle... but well worth constantly having new flowers

ttystikk

ttystikk

Yeah, atm I'm handwatering coco, so it's sort of a hassle... but well worth constantly having new flowers

I hear you- have you investigated using a timer and a reservior, to at least cut down on the watering you have to do?

ttystikk

ttystikk

The idea of this approach is to duplicate your time. If the entire stretch of time between fresh cutting and harvest is, say, 16 weeks, then if you have 8 stages that all transfer at the same time you get to do everything the plants will need throughout their whole life cycle every two weeks. This means that with careful planning, you're not married to your grow, and you get a crop 26 times a year! The main thing here is efficiency- and in some of my other threads, I'm starting to pound on the concept of cost and time efficiencies pretty hard, because the price of product is falling- and that means margins will be squeezed. If you can get good crops with less inputs, that means more money is left in your pocket after all the bills are paid.

The main reasons I prefer this approach, in no particular order;
1. Iterative power- if you do the same stages every two weeks, over and over again, you'll begin to notice every little detail and be able to make changes to improve things way faster than if you go through the whole cycle, one crop at a time. You're learning more, faster, and can apply it far faster than the guy who does single batches.

2. Customization- building an ideal environment for each stage of your grow allows you to optimize everything- and that's not to be underestimated! nutes, lights, and space can all be tailored- and improved- to exactly match the plants' needs at every given stage of their life cycle. This results in better, stronger growth, more resistance to disease and much more yield per square foot than the one size fits the whole cycle approach.

3. Cost reduction- If you look at the one crop cycle model, you will see that there is an incredible amount of space wasted most of the time. After all, unless you intentionally overcrowd everything, you're only going to fill up your space right at the end of the cycle. Paying a light bill and rent for empty floor space is EXPENSIVE, and unnecessary.

4. Regular throughput- Anyone who has done a big cycle can tell you that it's basically a game of waiting, waiting and waiting, in between bursts of HUGE effort and massive work. Hundreds of clones takes a lot of time. Topping and trimming is time intensive and more so for a big crop. And then when it's all done, you have a massive harvest that all needs to be cut, trimmed up and dried at the same time. Spreading this out to have reasonably sized crops on a regular basis reduces the brain damage factor by orders of magnitude, and allows you to plan workflow much better. Process engineers out there are nodding wisely at this, because they fully understand that a consistent, manageable workflow leads directly to better economies and efficiencies.

A small, consistent, manageable crop every few weeks that you and perhaps a friend or two can easily handle yourselves, or long stretches of dry wait time, and then calling every live body you can think of to handle the peak times of massive harvest, with all the stress that goes with it? Which would you rather plan for?

ttystikk

ttystikk

A lot of people who are telling me I'm on the wrong track with this idea are advocating approaches that take a lot more work, and worse still require much of that work to be done all at once. Others who question my sanity for moving plants from one stage to the next don't ask how much work it actually involves- and I can tell you here that once you've set things up so that moving the plants requires nothing more than picking one up and putting it down in the new zone, no wiring, no dirt, no extra BS in any way, that you can easily move 100 plants in 15 minutes. That solves the high workload factor, and it only has to be done once a cycle. In my case that's every two weeks. The rest of the jobs are really not very big, and doing all the jobs a plant needs to complete its life cycle in two weeks instead of 16 means that I can get a much more manageable harvest, Plus, I have much more control over my individual environments, my use of space is far, far ahead of the single room for the entire cycle crowd- whther you call it sea of green or not- and through time I'm getting much more grams per watt yield.

I_Love_THC

I_Love_THC

Hey lover- nothing about this is unnatural. Mother nature just doesn't provide ideal conditions very often so its up to us to do it! Besides, the modern discerning customer won't stand for truly 'au naturel' weed cuz the quality would be inferior!

I was not referring to what you're talking about, dear friend. And I respectfully disagree it is not unnatural - there is a unnatural source of light, at the very least - not to mention all the nutrients that people use to increase the efficiency of their garden and occur absolutely rarely in the wild Nature in that form, hehe...

What I had in mind was that not always the perfect conditions give best results. I mean, it might sound a bit environmental, Nature already has it all figured out - it's all about controlling the balance, at least imvho... One forest cannot and never will replace another - that was what I meant, dear friend.
But, hey - who doesn't want 26 fresh crops per YEAR? Of course everything has its benefits and disadvantages... unless Mother Nature - that's how I see it. We are a part of it, but we do not play our role - we do not want to keep the balance, we want everything to be perfect according to us, because us is so important, haha... Whatever - my ideology is not to be understood by many people, as it is not connected to the broad concept about humans, so what I see in growing cannabis is not related to what people might consider to be practical, logical or whatever... So, I'm not sorry to be sharing my opinion, but I am sorry if I am causing you negative vibes, friend.
It's a free world and I would love to one of those projects you're talking about - you know, just to have the experience and knowledge that's been put into a project like that in front of me, hehe...

I mostly respect your work, friend! I am sure it's been a long ride to dial everything and work it out for that style of growing! Rep points. :)

Peace and Love, dear friends!

Top Bottom