Interveinal Chlorosis help identifying issue

• Thread starter Pottsfarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pottsfarm

Pottsfarm

Hello everyone, first time grower here. Can someone help identify this problem. Has anyone experienced this? I'm thinking either ph issue or cal-mag issue.
Interveinal chlorosis help identifying issue
Interveinal chlorosis help identifying issue 2
Interveinal chlorosis help identifying issue 3
Interveinal chlorosis help identifying issue 5

Interveinal chlorosis help identifying issue 4
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

These come from inside out?

There is something going on... possibly underwatering? But note sure yet.

One key not is you see the pattern this is happening in?

This is called variegation. Then the variegated portions are burning. So it's an uptake issue or the plants being stressed a ton from UV exposure if it was started indoors and moved outside.

Variegated leaves do not photosynthesize well on the portions that are variegated which is why you see those portions damaged or will be lighter in healthy plants.

If I had to guess that's what happened.... you have a plant that carries the variegation gene. It was started indoors and moved outside... causing the less photosynthetic portions to burn from UV exposure.

I could be wrong as I don't have a lot of info on the grow but 1,000,000% the variegation is playing a role here. Not to mention stress can bring out the variegated expressions if the plants carry that gene

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just gonna pluck some links for you to go over and a copy paste statement.

Browning is a very common condition for albos and variegated plants. This tends to happen for a few reasons, your plant isn't being watered enough or it's getting too much light. It's usually the latter, because as you might know, the amount of light is connected to the amount of variegation your plant will express.

Pottsfarm

Pottsfarm

Bugs. Ph. Media. Light. The poor plants a goner.
Ponky, thanks for the reply. Minus the fly, bugs haven't been a major issue. Ph was always adjusted and checked before watering. Media was not ideal. I started with burpee organic mix, just something I found at the local store with coco coir. Light started indoor under a t5 spouter humidity dome. Then outdoors to a mostly shaded greenhouse. Then to mostly direct sunlight after 12pm. The plant never had a fair chance in life but I'm learning alot.

Last edited:
Pottsfarm

Pottsfarm

These come from inside out?

There is something going on... possibly underwatering? But note sure yet.

One key not is you see the pattern this is happening in?

This is called variegation. Then the variegated portions are burning. So it's an uptake issue or the plants being stressed a ton from UV exposure if it was started indoors and moved outside.

Variegated leaves do not photosynthesize well on the portions that are variegated which is why you see those portions damaged or will be lighter in healthy plants.

If I had to guess that's what happened.... you have a plant that carries the variegation gene. It was started indoors and moved outside... causing the less photosynthetic portions to burn from UV exposure.

I could be wrong as I don't have a lot of info on the grow but 1,000,000% the variegation is playing a role here. Not to mention stress can bring out the variegated expressions if the plants carry that gene
Aqua man, thank you for the reply. That's very interesting. Searching online I've never heard of this nor would I possibly find it. My plants did start indoor under a t5 spouter. Then I move them outdoors to a greenhouse that got very little direct sunlight. Shortly after that I invested in the spider farm 2x2 with the ts1000. I moved my plants indoors and they finally took off. But after a month they were not very full and stretched considerably. Every transplant I stuck the faint root ball on the bottom of the container and covered with soil. Since these are photos I decided to move them back outside to let the season finish them out and started an auto indoors. I may have stretch watering as well in fear of over watering. My schedule was every 3 days unless I knew it was gonna be in the 90s.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Aqua man, thank you for the reply. That's very interesting. Searching online I've never heard of this nor would I possibly find it. My plants did start indoor under a t5 spouter. Then I move them outdoors to a greenhouse that got very little direct sunlight. Shortly after that I invested in the spider farm 2x2 with the ts1000. I moved my plants indoors and they finally took off. But after a month there not very full and stretched considerably. Every transplant I stuck the faint root ball on the bottom of the container and covered with soil. Since these are photos I decided to move them back outside to let the season finish them out and started an auto indoors. I may have stretch watering as well in fear of over watering. My schedule was every 3 days unless I knew it was gonna be in the 90s.
So I would remove the severely damaged leaves and put them under low light intensity. After you see improvement then slowly bump them up going from low light to full sun is very hard on a plant. To add they are not conditioned to UV and that will stress them big time even in a healthy plant.

Get the watering under wraps and they should recover.

Treat for gnats with bti and stickies and plants once taken outside should not be brought back in due to bugs. Others may have a better treatment for gnats as bugs are something I'm piss poor in experience on.

This thread will help you solve the dilemma of how and when to water and how the media and pot size shape affect it.

Pottsfarm

Pottsfarm

So I would remove the severely damaged leaves and put them under low light intensity. After you see improvement then slowly bump them up going from low light to full sun is very hard on a plant. To add they are not conditioned to UV and that will stress them big time even in a healthy plant.

Get the watering under wraps and they should recover.

Treat for gnats with bti and stickies and plants once taken outside should not be brought back in due to bugs. Others may have a better treatment for gnats as bugs are something I'm piss poor in experience on.

This thread will help you solve the dilemma of how and when to water and how the media and pot size shape affect it.

That sounds like good advice. I don't want to lose all my plants to this. I will remove the damaged leaves and place the plants in a shadier spot to recover from the uv/direct sun exposure as well as increase my watering. Thanks again. Ill post pictures and results here for anyone interested in the outcome.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That sounds like good advice. I don't want to lose all my plants to this. I will remove the damaged leaves and place the plants in a shadier spot to recover from the uv/direct sun exposure as well as increase my watering. Thanks again. Ill post pictures and results here for anyone interested in the outcome.
Absolutely am interested. Hoping it works out. I've grown some variegated plants and sometime they kinda pull out of it. Some of the most sought after strains carry this gene. And most times it's not a really big issue as plenty of other leaves are photosynthesizing well. Just something to pay attention to and if it's too prominent you may want to avoid that pheno or exclude it from cloning.

A few of DJ shorts have this trait.

Pottsfarm

Pottsfarm

Well after a day or two in the shady and a increase in the watering schedule these girls are looking healthy again. I know the little one won't produce much if any but this is my first run and I can still learn alot from it. I believe my issue was primarily infrequent watering. With the heat of the direct sunlight reach 90 degrees Fahrenheit at some points. The plants had no way of pulling water to cool down. I'm not 100% sure but the issue has stopped with increased and deeper watering. Hope everyone learned something I know I did. Also half of
20210625 200614
20210625 200635
my plants are in burpees organic potting mix with a ratio of .12 .12 .12 this was not enough nutrients so I started adding General Hydroponics. This gave some life back into my plant. I'll follow a water feed water feed schedule for a while and see how they respond.

Top Bottom