Introducing The Sun Cloak Vertical

• Thread starter TomTrichrome
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

Hi there,
Tommy Trichrome here
, first time forum poster, but long time reader. By chance I came across the Sun Cloak vertical LED lighting system as it was being developed in the same building in which I was employed. I have been amazed by the results and felt it necessary share what I have learned. I have been in the cannabis industry for a while now, and while I wouldn't consider myself the leading expert, I would consider myself very knowledgeable with many years of trial and error under my belt.

Some of my history: I have been involved in California’s Medical Cannabis Industry going on 6 years now, working every nuanced niche from courier, budtender, vendor, inventory manager, analytics lab rep, medical delivery dispatch, to propagator.

⦁ Prior to my induction into the medical field, I had worked everything from hydroponic nurseries to residential grows for about 3-4 years. This means I have tried almost everything, from different growing techniques to the technology I was using.
⦁ Throughout my years growing, I have tried many manipulation techniques (topping, FIMing, super-cropping, monster-cropping LSTing).
⦁ As well as different propagation methods (drip systems, ebb n flow, hand watering, NFT, Deep Raft, integrated hydro techniques)
⦁ It's important to mention throughout all my years and experience, I have only been familiar with conventional HID lighting systems, by which I mean, either Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium systems, hung horizontally above the plant canopy. So any conventional propagation knowledge I have, I applied to my grow using the Sun Cloak LED system.

As stated it was by chance that I worked in same building that was in the processes of designing revolutionary vertical/surround LED panels for growing. Once I knew their purpose, I was interested because it the theory just made sense to me.

Here is what I knew going into this grow. The Sun Cloak system output about 84-112K lumens for a 4ft x 4ft grow table with an energy consumption of about 600-800 watts and substantially less heat generation than an HPS. I suspected that these features would lessen environmental adjustments (temp./humidity) and maintenance. And the vertical design would definitely penetrate upper canopy and possibly make the lower canopy a viable producer.

My Transition: All these pro's combined, not only sparked my intrigue into using LEDs, as opposed to my conventional HID lighting, but the reality of the facts presented was enough to make me want to try a transition to LEDs from the conventional lighting of which I am familiar.
A summary of what I have seen with 3 weeks before harvest
⦁ Faster plant growth and development during all stages.
⦁ A proportionate weight of buds dispersed throughout upper and lower canopy.
⦁ Less hassle, due to less environmental monitoring and adjusting.
⦁ lower energy costs.
⦁ Currently trending toward better yields (though harvest is still 3 weeks)

Follow Along:If you would like to learn of the possibilities offered by Sun Cloak's LEDs and how to achieve similar results, while lowering your costs, please follow along on this thread. I have results throughout flower (up till week 5 of flower), along with pictures that chronicle my progress throughout the grow, using Sun Cloak Systems LED technology. The posts to come will show my progress throughout the vegetative and flowering stage till we come to real-time updates chronicling my results through weeks 5 of flower-Harvest.
suncloak-light-set-up.jpg

yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
Interesting, to say the least. Been using LED`s for 8 or 9 grows now, so yes, I`m interested.

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

Yes, there are pictures (a chronological grow journal) I will be adding daily until the grow posts will be in real time. This grow is up to week 6 of flower, with 2-3 weeks left. I will be posting the next "chapter" to this thread (with pictures) today. The results will be shocking.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Those vertical leds dont light burn the plants being so close to the leaves?

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

Not at all. the cool to the touch diodes, produce a lot of lumen output without much heat emitted. which is why the ambient room temps also stay low.

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

Hey there,
Tommy Trichrome reporting again!
After introducing the revolutionary Suncloak System in my first post, I am following up with pictures attesting to the review and benefits that this system offers. So here it is, the beginning of near completed grow journal following Sun Cloak System's Vertical LED Panels. Stay posted as more results will be posted each day till harvest!

The Trial Run: (9 Grape Ape clones in a Sun Cloak 36” panel x 9 plant System)
Supplies: 1 large bag of hydroton (for root aeration and drainage), 3 bags of FF Ocean Forrest Soil, 1 small bag of perlite. Nutes: Sensi grow and Sensi bloom, CalMag, FF Grow big, Superthrive, MOAB, Molasses. RO’d and Aerated filtered water source.
Grow Area: 4’x4’ Grow Tent from Lighthouse Hydroponic Tents (true 48” x48” spec tent)
Propagation Method: Soil medium with Hydroton clay pellets at the bottom of the containers for drainage and root aeration, with regular scheduled hand watering/feeding.

Schedule of Plant Maturation: 1st) Clone Root Establishment: 1 week for clones to root and establish new growth (first new set of leaves) 2nd) Weening clones: from T5s to the Sun Cloak System for vegetative stage-1 week. 3rd) Vegetative Stage: 3 weeks in the Sun Cloak System. (total veg time- about a month). 4th) Switch to Flowering: Plants begin early flowering, and “the stretch” is seen. (1-2 weeks). 5th) Full Bloom: for around 4-5 weeks plants will be at one of their most productive stages, as size of the buds begin to swell (calyxes begin to mature and expand giving the buds substantial size and density.) 6th) Late Bloom: The final 2 weeks (8-9 week total in flower) are to allow the plant to ripen fully, and to reach the desired trichrome development (in between an opaque milky color to lightly turning amber- just before the THC-A starts degrading into CBN). Final Flushing) in the late bloom phase we will begin to flush frequently until harvest (1-2 weeks of flushing). 7th) Harvest Time.

Light Source: 1 Sun Cloak 800 w LED Full Spectrum System-84,000-112,00 lux output.
Environmental Controls: 2 oscillating fans (1 large oscillating room fan & 1 small clip on oscillating in-tent fan), a portable 9000 btu room AC (set to 75 degrees F on energy saver, which means it turns on if the room temp exceeds 75 degree F) - NOTE: for the Sun Cloak system the portable AC isn’t necessary, just a passive air intake and circulation)

Chronology of Growth
⦁ Start Date: August 9th 2015
⦁ Aug. 9th- Purchased Supplies
⦁ Aug. 14th- Purchased Clones-placed under t5 2700k fluorescent panels (24hr for 3 days, then switched to 18/6 light cycle)
⦁ Sept. 4th - Put t5 vegged clones in Sun Cloak System to Veg further, to flowering stage.
⦁ Sept. 20th- Switched plants into flowering (12/12 light cycle)
⦁ Oct.- Nov. - All Flowering w/ increased nutrient uptake.
⦁ Nov. 20th- Foreseen Harvest Date

(Plants installed and ready for vegetative state after 1 week of weening of T5 floro's)

Sun%20Cloak%20Lights%20with%20plants%201st%20stage%20of%20veg.jpg

shemshemet

shemshemet

There a way you can turn off some of the diodes on each 'line'?

Those plants look like they are basically getting no light from the top diodes. Is that correct?

Would be cool to turn on the diodes in stages, if anything.

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

There a way you can turn off some of the diodes on each 'line'?

Those plants look like they are basically getting no light from the top diodes. Is that correct?

Would be cool to turn on the diodes in stages, if anything.
You can unplug each row individually if desired, but each strip of LEDs in a row that's powered will be on.
it is also important to note, that because I am taking these pictures with my cell phone, so the intensity of the LED's are not represented fully.

shemshemet

shemshemet

You can unplug each row individually if desired, but each strip of LEDs in a row that's powered will be on.
it is also important to note, that because I am taking these pictures with my cell phone, so the intensity of the LED's are not represented fully.

Just saying it would be a cool feature to be able to turn on each strip in stages as the plant grows

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

Just saying it would be a cool feature to be able to turn on each strip in stages as the plant grows
hmm, a gradual "dimmer" so to speak from the bottom to the top is a interesting idea! From what I know of this system each row is controllable, but not dimmable from the top to the bottom of the strip (or bottom to the top). Very interesting idea tho!

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

Hey There Forum Readers,
Tommie Trichrome here,
following up with my 3rd grow journal update using the the Sun Cloak LED System.

Just a Note: I intend to answer all the questions posed, however I believe, once I post these further grow journal updates, some of the specific questions will be answered through my posts and pictures.

Here's what I've done and seen so far in my grow journal.
Friday September 4th, 2015 switched to veg under the Sun Cloak System, after letting the roots and true first leaves become established under 2 weeks of T5 fluorescents.
⦁ The spacing allowed me to choose the size and shape of the container that best suited my growing needs. Pictured is a 5 gallon conventional circular container, next to the same size 5 gallon squared containers. So with the vertical infrastructure i was still free to chose the size and shape of the container that works for me.
⦁ Just at a glance, the visually perceived spectrum of the Sun Cloak System’s wavelength is a warm mixture of red, yellow, white and red colors, which together with traces of blue color, appears to resemble the suns natural shine.
⦁ it was important to gradually ween plants to acclimatize them to their new light source. (1-5 days)
Sun%20Cloak%20Lights%20with%20plants%201st%20stage%20of%20veg.jpg

2 weeks of Veg. later. (September 15th 2015)

forum%20post%203%20veg%20pic%20%232.JPG

Veg.%20forum%20post%203.jpg

Hopefully later today, I will be able to post the update of the plants finished vegetative state, (4 weeks under the LEDs)

⦁ September 15th 2015, 2 weeks of true vegetative state under the Sun Cloak System and grow has been extremely vigorous!

⦁ In addition to new upwards growth, I have seen amazing secondary growth (new branching, and steering of energy towards upper and lower canopy.

-Again I want to reiterate, the limitations of my cell phone camera. The pictures do not do the systems intensity justice. we all struggle from time to time getting the right picture, but due to the brightness of the spectrum, the intensity isn't fully recorded in the pictures.

Something I noticed right away was the light penetration. Its everywhere! The plants cannot escape the lights penetration. I tried placing my hand throughout different areas of the tent. as well as placing it under foliage and at the base of the container, and still my hand was covered with light.

Thinking about this going forward into flower. This light penetration might in turn give me a more even dispersement of buds on the lower canopy.

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

4th Forum Post- End Result of Vegetative state under LEDs

Here are my end results for being under the LEDs
for 3 weeks

To recap: the clones were placed under t5 fluorescents the first 5-7 days from purchase. I don’t consider this the vegetative state, but a root development and acclimation period, which gives the newly rooted clones time to develop and become rooted in their new growing container.

⦁ I consider the first true week of vegetative state, when the first new leaves of growth appear, after the roots have developed enough to promote this new upwards growth.
⦁ With this said, the growth that I have experienced in these 3 weeks of veg. under LEDs is really good.
⦁ What I have experienced in the vegetative state is crazy growth, and tight internode spacing. With these tighter internode spacing,I believe the plants potential to fill in the “gaps” in between bud sites becomes greatly increased.

I put this plant on my table to try and "see the tree, from the forest" so to speak. I needed to isolate a plant to see my growth when taken outside of the tent because when I look at the tent, when its filled, its hard to separate the size and development when the foliage is right next to each other.
End%20results%20of%20veg.jpg

end%20veg

I commute to school on thursdays to SF state, so I wont be able to answer posts or comments until I return on friday. I am very interested in answering questing and engaging with forum members. so Please, let me know of any suggestion, or questions, as this is just my 1st journal with LEDs.

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

Hey they're Forum Members,
Tommie Trichrome here, trying to give you all the next update of the LED grow journal im working on (currently on week 7 of flower).

I flipped to flowering September 20th,

This is the height I decided to flip em. I figured it would give them just enough space to "stretch" to where the top canopy is flush with the horizontal LEDs. (Since this is grape ape and indica, I expected a shorter stretch). What I noticed, as the plants stretched into their final height, was that there appears to be no light footprint being lost.
beg.%20flower.%20height.JPG

1st week of flower and the bud sites are starting to develop....Now the Fun Begins...
1st%20week%20of%20flower%20budsites%201.JPG

1st%20week%20of%20flower%20budsites%202.JPG

So up until this point I have been doing regular hand feeding, with dechlorinated and aerated water, but flushed the plants when I switched to giving them their initial bloom nutes.

The room is staying at a good 74-78F during the day and at night i've been gradually lowing the temperature to 64-69F. the humidity in veg was kept in the mid 60%, however now that i switch its def. coming down to the 50% and then gradually to the 40% range.

So far everything is looking amazing, IMO, and I haven't lost even a leaf to the LEDs. So far the LEDs are keeping my room a consistent temp and not messing with my humidity. Also my energy bills have been dirt cheap throughout the grow, so thats was a interesting surprise to what i'm use to.

I will do a follow up update to my grow journal later today that will hopefully take us through week 4 of flower, so you all can see the results i'm getting. I"d appreciate and advice, feedback or comments that you can think of that could help me out on future journals and grows.
Lates.

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

They look like these waterproof rgb led strips you can buy.

View attachment 546436
They do look similar, and i'm sure just like any conventional lighting system there are different companies and different degrees of quality. I don't know anything about those LED rolls, but they look to be a possible economy option for those DIY's out there.

Top Bottom