Introduction & First time growing

• Thread starter Rudolf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rudolf

Rudolf

Hi all. Never grown before, only watched my dad grow when I was kid, but he's not really around anymore so I'm kinda figuring stuff out for myself!
I have a friend who grows using HPS lights, so I have a respect for that light, considering that's what my dad used too.
At this time though I'm using LEDs I bought off DHGate (yea I know). 2000w, 1000w
I'll have to upgrade those lights at some point, but I'm hoping that this will at least grow something. Here is what I have so far, in my lil peat pot.
I used Foxfarm soil, and I added some of their liquid fertilizer. I also added Superthrive and Alaska Fish fertilizer.
I know I overwatered it in this picture, so I am letting it sit for a couple more days without water. I started weighing the pot so I can watch the weight go down before adding any water. I keep the tent at 70-75ish with around 55-60% humidity.
I kind of wanted to try and do soil like my dad did, but my buddy uses coir like a lot of you do. I bought some, so I am happy to try that at some point if soil doesn't work out for me. I like the idea of being organic ya know. Haha.

I know people do grow diaries but I just wanted to introduce. I do not feel like I have the right to show my grow as it might fail, etc...
The strain is ATF, and I have a few WW's sitting in the towels, ready to be planted any day now. This one is feminized, so I hope to get some seeds outta the mayhem with the WW Regs coming.

Introduction  first time growing
Introduction  first time growing 2
Introduction  first time growing 3
dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

Welcome and I see you're serious since you've laid out some cash to get this far. White Widow has such a unique taste and smell. I love the stuff. Have six of them going right now.

91tnEFMVgGL AC SX679
CALMAG
NEEM

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

Yes sir. And thanks. I have most of those except Neem. I was gonna try epsom salt first instead of Calmag.
I use Cal Mag Plus as a preventative. Not a reactive. When a deficiency happens the damage is already in progress. Damaging leaves, stunting growth and stressing the plant. Some times it is minor, like a few bottom leaves yellowing out from magnesium deficiency. But I've seen far worse because people experiment with home-made organic concoctions and ruin their plants. Or use shitty brands of fertilizer. Stress of any kind like deficiency can cause hermaphroditism. And deficiency if it is out of control takes a lot of time to correct and will reduce your yield. Time you don't have if you're in the flowering process. I highly recommend to newbies and those who think they are experienced to dose a couple times with Cal Mag Plus. Then all trace elements are covered. Know that they really don't need more than a couple doses because the elements stick around. The plant can't consume magnesium and calcium like other nutrients. I've dosed mine twice with Cal Mag Plus this grow and that's all they're getting. On Ebay you can see people selling it in smaller bottles. For smaller grows you don't need a larger amount. I buy it in 2 oz or 4 oz bottles. Neem has some nutrient value but mainly protects the leaves from fungus like powdery mildew and bugs. It requires a little bit of dish detergent as an emulsifier but some brands are already mixed and ready to spray. I have used organic, plant-based dish detergent to emulsify my Neem. I buy pure Neem oil. Try to get it on the bottom of leaves as well. Insects cannot lay eggs on leaves treated with Neem. It keeps all the nasty buggers at bay. Thrips, mites, white flies. It also neutralizes those nasty fungus gnats in the soil if your medium gets an infestation. If you're messing with manure teas and organic concoctions you can get gnats. I bought an exotic potted flower from Hawaii (not cannabis) and it had passengers. Gnats. Because the nursery on Maui was using organics. But I kept it away from my grow room and killed them.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
neem is an insecticide/pesticide and it gets into the plant tissue. more accurately its the azadirachtin that has those effects and it does accumulate in the plant tissue and its translocated in the plant meaning a neem soil drench will lead to accumulation of azadiracthin in the flowers. azadirachtin although not deadly is still linked to some problems when used in cannabis manufacture. mainly prolonged usage of azadirachtin containing buds may cause a hypersensitivity and nausea and stuff (google it i dont remember it all lol).

so what i’m getting at is hygiene is much more important then any pesticide you can use. indoors, take a shower when you enter your home, leave the shoes outside. use bug filters if taking in fresh air. better yet suck air from a buffer room with double filters if you can, never bring outside plants inside and no live plants from anywhere else either.

these measures are much more effective and will result in much cleaner herb for you to smoke. i havent touched the bottle of azadirachtin i have for about 4 years now.

Rudolf

Rudolf

I use Cal Mag Plus as a preventative. Not a reactive. When a deficiency happens the damage is already in progress. Damaging leaves, stunting growth and stressing the plant. Some times it is minor, like a few bottom leaves yellowing out from magnesium deficiency. But I've seen far worse because people experiment with home-made organic concoctions and ruin their plants. Or use shitty brands of fertilizer. Stress of any kind like deficiency can cause hermaphroditism. And deficiency if it is out of control takes a lot of time to correct and will reduce your yield. Time you don't have if you're in the flowering process. I highly recommend to newbies and those who think they are experienced to dose a couple times with Cal Mag Plus. Then all trace elements are covered. Know that they really don't need more than a couple doses because the elements stick around. The plant can't consume magnesium and calcium like other nutrients. I've dosed mine twice with Cal Mag Plus this grow and that's all they're getting. On Ebay you can see people selling it in smaller bottles. For smaller grows you don't need a larger amount. I buy it in 2 oz or 4 oz bottles. Neem has some nutrient value but mainly protects the leaves from fungus like powdery mildew and bugs. It requires a little bit of dish detergent as an emulsifier but some brands are already mixed and ready to spray. I have used organic, plant-based dish detergent to emulsify my Neem. I buy pure Neem oil. Try to get it on the bottom of leaves as well. Insects cannot lay eggs on leaves treated with Neem. It keeps all the nasty buggers at bay. Thrips, mites, white flies. It also neutralizes those nasty fungus gnats in the soil if your medium gets an infestation. If you're messing with manure teas and organic concoctions you can get gnats. I bought an exotic potted flower from Hawaii (not cannabis) and it had passengers. Gnats. Because the nursery on Maui was using organics. But I kept it away from my grow room and killed them.
It sounds like Cal-mag is better than epsom salt then. I will have to ditch that idea. Thanks!

Rudolf

Rudolf

neem is an insecticide/pesticide and it gets into the plant tissue. more accurately its the azadirachtin that has those effects and it does accumulate in the plant tissue and its translocated in the plant meaning a neem soil drench will lead to accumulation of azadiracthin in the flowers. azadirachtin although not deadly is still linked to some problems when used in cannabis manufacture. mainly prolonged usage of azadirachtin containing buds may cause a hypersensitivity and nausea and stuff (google it i dont remember it all lol).

so what i’m getting at is hygiene is much more important then any pesticide you can use. indoors, take a shower when you enter your home, leave the shoes outside. use bug filters if taking in fresh air. better yet suck air from a buffer room with double filters if you can, never bring outside plants inside and no live plants from anywhere else either.

these measures are much more effective and will result in much cleaner herb for you to smoke. i havent touched the bottle of azadirachtin i have for about 4 years now.
I’ve been super careful. But who knows? I also have peppermint essential oil I’ve been misting in there with the humidifier occasionally. my friend got spider mites, so I’m already scared to get them!

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I’ve been super careful. But who knows? I also have peppermint essential oil I’ve been misting in there with the humidifier occasionally. my friend got spider mites, so I’m already scared to get them!
if you abide by strict quarantine rules they will not get there and if they somehow do then you can use pesticides. regularly check your plants for any pests and you’ll catch it early if it happens.

steamroller

steamroller

Welcome to the farm and good luck with your grow .
Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here .
Enjoy and you should do a grow diary .
They help all who read them whether you have success or not really ,but lets hope you do well anyways ~!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Cal/mag locks out my plants it seems to block phosphorus uptake then everything turns purple & stiff. My well water obviously has more than enough calcium I just need to add the magnesium or the leaves fade, curl a bit and the get a paper like feel to them.

Rudolf

Rudolf

I use the General Hydroponics 3 part flora series + Floralicious & Kool Bloom for a few weeks in flower in Promix.....No Cal/mag for me
( well water)....I'm now adding Epsom salts under the led lights I didn't need under hps lighting. Lets hope you don't need the Neem oil
Interesting. LEDs causing this issue is new to me. A quick Google shows people complaining of this issue.
I am on city water, but I used Camden tabs in my reservoir to eliminate chloromine. I added a bit of pH down.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Great, I’ll move it to fabric pot as soon as I water. Thanks!
Fabric pots are great but the shit to transplant out of, if you plan on up potting more than twice then there are fabric pots that you can open up with velcro like flaps for not much more that the cheap regular ones without the opening ability.

Rudolf

Rudolf

I put in a 3 gal pot, cut the bottom off of the peat pot. I didn't see any roots. Anyway looks like this plants gonna die.

IMG 3616
Heywood

Heywood

She may be trying to duck away from all the light. How far above the plant is your light, and if dimmable, what power level is it set to?
You said your lights are 2000W and 1000W ?

Rudolf

Rudolf

I just had it at 16inches, I just raised it to 22inches after I saw your post. Correct, 2000w, 1000w. They are not dimmable.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I put in a 3 gal pot, cut the bottom off of the peat pot. I didn't see any roots. Anyway looks like this plants gonna die.
Hey man don't give up on them. Weeds they're tough. Get her going right good light lots of air. I'd fked up with a few cuttings this run I've some pics here I took March 22 this year and then yesterdays pics of the Platinum OG before & after pics & the Bubble Bomb pic I took on the 14th of April

100 7002
100 6999
100 7204
100 7161
Heywood

Heywood

I just had it at 16inches, I just raised it to 22inches after I saw your post. Correct, 2000w, 1000w. They are not dimmable.

I think that may be your problem. This young gal is nowhere near ready to be hit with the full force of the sun.
I don't know the difference between your two lights, but if one is strictly a veg light, I would just have that one on and turn the other off.
Your plant is trying to escape all that light.

Top Bottom