Irie Seeds "Orange Gasm" under Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..........

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

Looking good there SSHZ, I can't wait to get my going, Probably when I get back from Alexandria. Any orange smell yet ?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looking good there SSHZ, I can't wait to get my going, Probably when I get back from Alexandria. Any orange smell yet ?
Tag me when that starts please sir... A few comments got me thinking to pay close attention to your grow. I always feel like I can learn a thing or 2 from almost anyone. But I am certain I have a thing or 2 to pick from that brain.

sshz

sshz

Leave my brain out of it, please..........since you guys peaked my curiosity, I went to to the same plant I took the pic of and rolled my fingers lightly on a stem and some bud and guess what- some kind of wonderful citrus/grapefruit going on. That plant definitely leans to the Platinum Tangie side by appearance but i can't remember if those are the "orange" leaners of the "grapefruit" leaners, as there can be some cross-over smell and taste wise. WOW is the word of the day!!!! Actually, let's do a double WOW WOW!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Leave my brain out of it, please..........since you guys peaked my curiosity, I went to to the same plant I took the pic of and rolled my fingers lightly on a stem and some bud and guess what- some kind of wonderful citrus/grapefruit going on. That plant definitely leans to the Platinum Tangie side by appearance but i can't remember if those are the "orange" leaners of the "grapefruit" leaners, as there can be some cross-over smell and taste wise. WOW is the word of the day!!!! Actually, let's do a double WOW WOW!
Haha I'm not done with the brain yet. I'm very curious on the bud development under these lights. I know veg will be killer and also easy to see by your pics.

I love to sit and roll the stems and compare. Just lean back and take it all in. Some can just take you to a little piece of heaven. Sounds like that's the case here

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

Thats awesome , going by memory I thought Rasta said the grapefruit was the more rare one, it had a noticeable bigger serration on the leaves, I think he called it the mean one lol, I could be wrong that just memory , I'm going to listen to it again. either you got me excited to run this strain, thanks again for making it possible.

sshz

sshz

You're partly right.........he said the very TALL pheno is the grapefruit one, spindly and light yielding. He said if you are looking for weight, kill it off. But for taste and smoke ability, it's the one you want but it's rare. This plant does not have the height to be that pheno. The grapefruit was VERY noticeable, that's why I said the tastes and smells bleed from pheno to pheno, meaning you'll get hints of each here, there, and everywhere. No orange in this one, all grapefruit.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If anyone shops at True North Seed bank in Ontario, Canada or orders from there, I have a discount code for 30% off. It should be good once under you name.

"TNSB30"
I use therealcanadaseeds. Once so far and was extremely impressed with communication and service.

sshz

sshz

I don't, but it's still a guess since it's my 1st time growing with the lights............

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I don't, but it's still a guess since it's my 1st time growing with the lights............
I think you will.... But idk what type of yielderr that strain is. I do however feel you will surpass your HPS on one hand but on the other I'm waiting to see how this more blue spectrum impacts yields.

My off the wall guess. Slightly lower yields than a 2700-3000k LED (maybe not even noticeable?) but frostier than both your HPS or 2700-3000k LED. But I could be wrong with the red/infrared it may not see any reduction in yield.

Paying close attention as I'm looking at these or fluence for an upgrade from my hlg 600v1 3000k. As it doesn't veg as nicely but I have no complaints on the final bud weight.

Will be hard to tell without a side by side but any info is better than none.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I think you will.... But idk what type of yielderr that strain is. I do however feel you will surpass your HPS on one hand but on the other I'm waiting to see how this more blue spectrum impacts yields.

My off the wall guess. Slightly lower yields than a 2700-3000k LED (maybe not even noticeable?) but frostier than both your HPS or 2700-3000k LED. But I could be wrong with the red/infrared it may not see any reduction in yield.

Paying close attention as I'm looking at these or fluence for an upgrade from my hlg 600v1 3000k. As it doesn't veg as nicely but I have no complaints on the final bud weight.

Will be hard to tell without a side by side but any info is better than none.
Bruce bugbee has a video showing results from blue light vs yield. His result was shorter plants but same yield with more blue. Study checked up to a 20% difference. It's called toward an ideal light spectrum for indoor growing or something along those lines.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Bruce bugbee has a video showing results from blue light vs yield. His result was shorter plants but same yield with more blue. Study checked up to a 20% difference. It's called toward an ideal light spectrum for indoor growing or something along those lines.
Well there is more to it but he is an absolute authority. I will have to look it up.

With the incorporation of the synergistic spectrums like blue and UV and red and far red those will change things greatly. So wondering if he also looked at that and not just the red/blue

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Well there is more to it but he is an absolute authority. I will have to look it up.

With the incorporation of the synergistic spectrums like blue and UV and red and far red those will change things greatly. So wondering if he also looked at that and not just the red/blue
I would be doing him a disservice if I tried to summarize any further off the top of my head, but I do know he was looking at more than red vs blue.

Here is the video.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Interesting at the end he says outside our plants dont increase canabanoids from the suns uv as they build up protection to it.

But inside adding uv increased canabanoids. And he means led uva.

Or does the university have uvb led diodes?

sshz

sshz

I don't have time just now to watch the video but I did want to comment of yields, as Elcrecedor got me thinking. I attacked one side of the room this morning, moving out a few of the taller plants to even the canopy AND did a light defoliation, removing any big leaves blocking buds below. I probably removed 150 leaves on this side (other side tomorrow). While moving plants around, and looking things over- I whole heartily believed if I was to move these plants under HPS right now (i.e. my old room)- I'd be looking at 2 1/4-2 1/2 lbs per side. Easily, no problem. Under these lights, with the light penetration issue of LED's- I'm still not so sure. Could be though, I just don't have enough experience with LED's (actually, NONE) to give an educated opinion. Aqua Man surely knows a lot more about it than I do, so he might be perfectly right. Check below for a pic after I was done.

I'll again address the amount of leaves I've removed out of the room, it's been crazy. I keep saying it over and over, because I'm amazed. This might very well be do to the fact that the strain is leafy, but I don't know that for sure. Is it the lights or the strain, or a combo of both??? I don't remember the breeder mentioning in his podcast the strain is overly leafy. It will be interesting to see if Dr.Green55 experiences the same issue as he starts up a few plants of Orange Gasm shortly too. It probably does make a lot of sense to look for strains that limit their leaf grow, as the whole growing process would be made much easier. Still no word from Dr. GreenThumb, so it may well be that I do those Sweet Zombie seeds next time (a Black Domina hybrid), that's also very bleafy BUT it's 95% indica, stays short, is VERY uniform, and I've grown it before so it should be easy to dial in quickly.

Back on later today to address the video............

IMG 0148

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I don't have time just now to watch the video but I did want to comment of yields, as Elcrecedor got me thinking. I attacked one side of the room this morning, moving out a few of the taller plants to even the canopy AND did a light defoliation, removing any big leaves blocking buds below. I probably removed 150 leaves on this side (other side tomorrow). While moving plants around, and looking things over- I whole heartily believed if I was to move these plants under HPS right now (i.e. my old room)- I'd be looking at 2 1/4-2 1/2 lbs per side. Easily, no problem. Under these lights, with the light penetration issue of LED's- I'm still not so sure. Could be though, I just don't have enough experience with LED's (actually, NONE) to give an educated opinion. Aqua Man surely knows a lot more about it than I do, so he might be perfectly right. Check below for a pic after I was done.

I'll again address the amount of leaves I've removed out of the room, it's been crazy. I keep saying it over and over, because I'm amazed. This might very well be do to the fact that the strain is leafy, but I don't know that for sure. Is it the lights or the strain, or a combo of both??? I don't remember the breeder mentioning in his podcast the strain is overly leafy. It will be interesting to see if Dr.Green55 experiences the same issue as he starts up a few plants of Orange Gasm shortly too. It probably does make a lot of sense to look for strains that limit their leaf grow, as the whole growing process would be made much easier. Still no word from Dr. GreenThumb, so it may well be that I do those Sweet Zombie seeds next time (a Black Domina hybrid), that's also very bleafy BUT it's 95% indica, stays short, is VERY uniform, and I've grown it before so it should be easy to dial in quickly.

Back on later today to address the video............

View attachment 1011434

The led’s definitely grow more leaves than hps would with so much more blue spectrum. So would metal halide or ceramic metal halide in my experience.

I never defoliated much until i used cmh to flower.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Definitely the blue plays a role in more leaf. What I'm wondering if gavita has something on the red/infrared that will compensate for the more blue spectrum in bud yield.

This is a good summary read I have linked a few times.

Plants are looking gorgeous @sshz

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Definitely the blue plays a role in more leaf. What I'm wondering if gavita has something on the red/infrared that will compensate for the more blue spectrum in bud yield.

This is a good summary read I have linked a few times.

Plants are looking gorgeous @sshz

Lots of blue peak despite the far red diodes. Wonder how it fares against a 650 r spec hlg 2700k?

35EC0487 78DF 4576 A62C 7B250ECA372B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom