Irie Seeds "Orange Gasm" under Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..........

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
sshz

sshz

As I'm approaching harvest I guess I will ask: have you noticed any difference from putting the plant in darkness for X hours before cutting? Guessing you did not do that here.

I used to think so, now I'm not sure. To be honest, I just haven't seen much of a difference either way and I always worry when they sit in the darkness for too long, will mold or some other nasty form......so I don't bother with it anymore

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I used to think so, now I'm not sure. To be honest, I just haven't seen much of a difference either way and I always worry when they sit in the darkness for too long, will mold or some other nasty form......so I don't bother with it anymore
I kind of feel like it's one of those things that I might as well do....I just hate doing things when I don't really understand what I'm accomplishing. All I can figure is "freak the plant out and it will basically flush itself! or maybe raise resin! Or maybe thc!"

???

lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

like I said I will not be shocked to see you hit 2gpw... i hate that measurement but great lights in the hands of an experienced grower... even if not I knew from the moment I seen your thread you would smash your goals... this has been an amazing thread. I'm excited to see it come to and end but sad at the same time.

sshz

sshz

If you believe Bruce Bigbee, resin is a defense mechanism against insects and light. By keeping them in the dark, the resin won't degrade.

I once had an original G13 that I kept in the dark for 1 week after I thought it was done- I didn't really care about the plant as I had plenty of other stuff to deal with. When I harvested and dried it, I let a friend of a friend have it for a price. He came back and said it was the best he had ever had. Ever since then, I thought there might be something to it.

But I've done side by side comparisons and noticed very little difference, if at all...............

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

like I said I will not be shocked to see you hit 2gpw... i hate that measurement but great lights in the hands of an experienced grower... even if not I knew from the moment I seen your thread you would smash your goals... this has been an amazing thread. I'm excited to see it come to and end but sad at the same time.

Worry not......a new thread will be started even before this crop and dried and the numbers are reported. It just depends on how much time I have, as football will be in full spring soon enough. We can always head over to your thread......which is no slouch and an enjoyable read too with loads of pretty pictures.

As I've said, 2 GPW ain't going to happen. If I reach 1.5, I'd be happy enough. 1.8 would be amazing.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter

I think I might try this new technique my good childhood friend who's been growing 30 years suggested to me. He's been growing commercially (underground ) for decades, so I really trust his judgement.

Anyhow, he says, he only started doing this the last few years, but when he finishes a room, he'll allow them to "dry up" right in the planters in the last days, then does a manicure (removing fan leaves) and shuts off the light, leaving them in the pots to cure, with the fan going on in the background.

He claims, that they get an "extra boost" from staying connected to the roots, and that some of potency (and flavor) is enhanced, by this method. It's all he does anymore. He doesn't hang whatsoever.

sshz

sshz

Letting plants dry out in the pots is not unheard of...... plants will dry quicker if they haven't been watered a lot towards the end. But the extra boost stuff is probably bull. I typically remove most of the fan leaves the last couple days but with this crop THERE AREN'T ANY. LOL

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If you believe Bruce Bigbee, resin is a defense mechanism against insects and light. By keeping them in the dark, the resin won't degrade.

I once had an original G13 that I kept in the dark for 1 week after I thought it was done- I didn't really care about the plant as I had plenty of other stuff to deal with. When I harvested and dried it, I let a friend of a friend have it for a price. He came back and said it was the best he had ever had. Ever since then, I thought there might be something to it.

But I've done side by side comparisons and notice very little difference, if at all...............
My hypothesis that comes particularly from others here and some research over the years. During the Calvin cycle the plants move starches to the roots as well as other compounds. By giving a dark period we not only allow the renewal (not sure what else to call it) of fluids canabinoids, terpenes, flavinoids from light and heat degradation that occurs during lights on. But also the transport of starches and other byproducts to the roots from the buds. Essentially in the end providing a smoother and more flavorful product. Again this is my uneducated guess so take it for what you will and discount it if you like. It's not something I would like to debate about but is something I practice.

Also a big reason why I feel a dark period is necessary in veg. Not so much for plant growth but more so to keep a happy biology in the soil and i feel the processes in the calvon cycle to be beneficial to overall plant health.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter

Yea, this thread is really making me reconsider purchasing a "commercial" quality light. But I need to keep it within reason, say $1300 tops.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
My hypothesis that comes particularly from others here and some research over the years. During the Calvin cycle the plants move starches to the roots as well as other compounds. By giving a dark period we not only allow the renewal (not sure what else to call it) of fluids canabinoids, terpenes, flavinoids from light and heat degradation that occurs during lights on. But also the transport of starches and other byproducts to the roots from the buds. Essentially in the end providing a smoother and more flavorful product. Again this is my uneducated guess so take it for what you will and discount it if you like. It's not something I would like to debate about but is something I practice.

Also a big reason why I feel a dark period is necessary in veg. Not so much for plant growth but more so to keep a happy biology in the soil and i feel the processes in the calvon cycle to be beneficial to overall plant health.

Yea, the way I was thinking about it is this, as the plant dehydrates, if it's still connected to the roots, it might bring some of that "more concentrated" flavor into the bud, or bring things that are blocking those taste out of the buds (as aqua suggest) I have no scientific basis for it either, but it sounds reasonable to me.

Regardless, darkness is a transitional time, not just a dormant period where nothing is happening. I suspect it's much like sleep in animals, where Rapid eye movement (REM) and things like that occur, it's a "restorative" period for the plant to "reboot" for onset of another "stress" cycle.

And yes sshz, I tend to agree, I think potency is "set" at the cut, if anything it might enhance smell and taste, nothing more.

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter

Thank you for your input. I think that is where most people are, science wise.

How long do you do? 24? 36?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thank you for your input. I think that is where most people are, science wise.

How long do you do? 24? 36?
48... first time I did 36 hr dark flip this time and I will like do 24 hr dark flip and 48 dark before harvest. I also lower temps aboit 10 days before harvest. This time I dod it a bit soon i think. Thats just in my mind to help reduce degradation. Bit like I say I have no solid proof just what I'm doing now.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
48... first time I did 36 hr dark flip this time and I will like do 24 hr dark flip and 48 dark before harvest. I also lower temps aboit 10 days before harvest. This time I dod it a bit soon i think. Thats just in my mind to help reduce degradation. Bit like I say I have no solid proof just what I'm doing now.

Yea, this kind of approach might actually "extend" the growing cycle a bit, allowing those trichomes to maybe develop a bit further, that would have likely "over ripen" in lighted conditions. Is this part of your thinking as well?

Keep them cool and comfortable, but "alive" for the last little bit, to become fully-uniform in ripeness...

It would be really cool to study how ripening occurs on a molecular level, and all of whats going on, from the mitochondria level forward.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yea, this kind of approach might actually "extend" the growing cycle a bit, allowing those trichomes to maybe develop a bit further, that would have likely "over ripen" in lighted conditions. Is this part of your thinking as well?

Keep them cool and comfortable, but "alive" for the last little bit, to become fully-uniform in ripeness...

It would be really cool to study how ripening occurs on a molecular level, and all of whats going on, from the mitochondria level forward.
Absolutely but again I have no proof

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Absolutely but again I have no proof
Well it's well known that mitochondria play an important role in programmed cell death, where cells that are acting abnormally are killed. This prevents abnormal cells from harming the plant or interfering with growth and reproduction. it's not a stretch to imagine that they are integral to the ripening process as well.

Because ripening is a form of cell death.

Also, the presence of cannabinoid receptors on the membranes of mitochondria, the energy-generating organelle within cells. This discovery laid the groundwork for subsequent investigations into the role of the endocannabinoid system in regulating mitochondrial activity, which is critical to how cells function. Defects in mitochondria have been linked a wide range of neurodegenerative, autoimmune and metabolic disorders—Alzheimer’s, schizophrenia, autism, cancer, epilepsy, diabetes, cardiovascular and neuromuscular disease, and more.

A growing body of scientific data indicates that cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), two key components of the cannabis plant, can affect mitochondria, both directly and indirectly. It turns out that many of the biological pathways that involve mitochondria—including energy homeostasis, neurotransmitter release, and oxidative stress—are modulated by endogenous and exogenous cannabinoids.

Why does a small dose of cannabis stimulate while a large dose tends to sedate? How is it possible that cannabinoid compounds can destroy cancer cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed? Examining the role of mitochondria sheds light on these questions and other perplexing aspects of the endocannabinoid system.

So leads me to believe this is were the "critical" activity in ripening is likely also occuring, as plant "energy output" and THC production appear directly linked to one another.

I don't know the exact chemical mechanism for THC production, but it's got to be linked closely with ATP

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

So I'm looking at this picture again and I notice the distinct difference between the branches on the right and the ones on the left. And I'm thinking the ones on the left aren't done as much and were lower on the plant. Well, I'm wrong.............

IMG 0209

Well, actually I had a strong flashlight on and it just hits the plants to the left. In all actuality, the buds on the left have the same color as those on the right. The color of XXXXX.

Another plant will be cut on Tuesday, just curious how many branches on this next one.

sshz

sshz

I came across this grow tonight from April 2019......Ethos "Apex". This is the perfect stuff if you want to smoke and NOT get high.......a no-buzz special edition from the breeders at Ethos. Pot that looks this good should surely get you high = BAD breeding!

Apex

Cracken

Cracken

and a hush falls over the room.. you could hear a single piece of shake drop as the crowd awaited the final tally.
I came across this grow tonight from April 2019......Ethos "Apex". This is the perfect stuff if you want to smoke and NOT get high.......a no-buzz special edition from the breeders at Ethos. Pot that looks this good should surely get you high = BAD breeding!

View attachment 1024655
that sounds like a bad date to me. you put in all the effort and do everything right then get nothing but a handshake and a pat on the back....

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
and a hush falls over the room.. you could hear a single piece of shake drop as the crowd awaited the final tally.
A hush? I will be very disappointed if @sshz doesn't vacillate at least a little more about Turkish Cookies vs Sweet Zombie and don't think for a second I have ruled out a dark horse late contender.......

😆😎🙃🤔👻

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom