Irie Seeds "Orange Gasm" under Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..........

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
sshz

sshz

After over 30+ years of growing under HPS bulbs, I've finally made the switch to LED's. Bigtime! 2 of these LED's cost me over $2800 delivered. Everything is new- a new room, 2 new lights, a new strain, a different exhaust system, new pots, etc........

Excessive heat was the main reason for the change, as my summer crops were never as nice as my winter ones. The LED's use about 400 watts less each so there will be some electricity savings too. I was averaging over 2 lbs. a 1000 watt light no problem, I don't expect to get there with these. But I'm assuming the overall quality will be better in the long run.

The Orange Gasm is a heavy yielding, mostly sativa strain that Rafsta Jeff claims is all about the orange and tangerine taste and smell it puts off. It's genetics are Platinum Tangie X Golden Goat. Irie uses the Golden Goat in a lot of it's strains. If you want more info on it, you can check out this podcast detailing the strain:

More to come including some pic's when I get around to it.

sshz

sshz

Someone else is growing it, 7 days in flowering........
2294724 irie genetics orange gasm chocolate chunk solfire gardens gelly biscuit grow journal b

sshz

sshz

I remember reading that the strain demands high levels of Nitrogen.........especially early in flowering. This guy must not have read the breeders recommendations.

sshz

sshz

4 pic's for the room layout........just 1 side though.
Pic 1 is the top of one of the LED lights.
Pic 2 is the bottom looking up at one f the lights.
Pic 3 are 12 pots under each light.
Pic 4 is the exhaust system with the Big Blue Ozone hooked up to it.
IMG 1189
IMG 1190
IMG 1191
IMG 1192

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
I grew the Goat about ten years ago, straight from Mr. Danks garden. She was a nitrogen hog, no doubt. Especially during the first 3 weeks of flowering. She's a leggy lady but maybe yours will be better since it's a hybrid.

You went straight for the Ferrari of LEDS man!!!

Cheers!!!

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
sshz

sshz

Remember, there's 2 sides to the room with the exact same setup on the other side so 2 lights, 24 pots total. Yes, I go straight from starting the seed into their final 5 gallon pots of Pro-Mix BX, dolimite lime and extra perlite. There's myco's in the pro-mix so adding that is not necessary.

Golden Goat is well known to be very tall and very lanky and I actually bought that one first but backed out for this one as it's not as tall, has sturdy branches and a better formation overall. I do a lot of research before purchasing my strains, this made sense because I was looking for something that yields really well and it's relatively easy to grow- this fit the bill. I prefer things with more indica in them, but the orange/tangerine flavors will make up for that, along with a high THC level.

I use Botanicare Pure Blen Pro fertilizers with 10ml Cal/Mag per gallon as I use a r.o. device. And some blended tea's as they develop later on.

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
Remember, there's 2 sides to the room with the exact same setup on the other side so 2 lights, 24 pots total. Yes, I go straight from starting the seed into their final 5 gallon pots of Pro-Mix BX, dolimite lime and extra perlite. There's myco's in the pro-mix so adding that is not necessary.

Golden Goat is well known to be very tall and very lanky and I actually bought that one first but backed out for this one as it's not as tall, has sturdy branches and a better formation overall. I do a lot of research before purchasing my strains, this made sense because I was looking for something that yields really well and it's relatively easy to grow- this fit the bill. I prefer things with more indica in them, but the orange/tangerine flavors will make up for that, along with a high THC level.

I use Botanicare Pure Blen Pro fertilizers with 10ml Cal/Mag per gallon as I use a r.o. device. And some blended tea's as they develop later on.

Yup, like I said, the goat is a HOG lol

Cheers

sshz

sshz

With all the seeds sprouted, they were planted yesterday and now the wait is on. I set the lights at 42 inches above the pots, they are currently ON. I'll adjust the lights as necessary. Here's the left side of the room, and it looks exactly the same on the right side.

IMG 1193

sshz

sshz

So with both lights on, and a single 6 inch exhaust fan blowing out of the room- it's running at 85+ degrees, which is way too warm with the door closed. I don't have any fans in there either, which should help some. But I'm thinking I'll need to switch to an 8 inch (which i have) exhaust fan and maybe 2 small inline boosters above each light into the ceiling to get the temps down to a perfect level. The lights are putting off a bit more heat than I expected, but still WAYYYYY better than HPS bulbs. More work over the weekend I guess.

Anthem

Anthem

So with both lights on, and a single 6 inch exhaust fan blowing out of the room- it's running at 85+ degrees, which is way too warm with the door closed. I don't have any fans in there either, which should help some. But I'm thinking I'll need to switch to an 8 inch (which i have) exhaust fan and maybe 2 small inline boosters above each light into the ceiling to get the temps down to a perfect level. The lights are putting off a bit more heat than I expected, but still WAYYYYY better than HPS bulbs. More work over the weekend I guess.
Interesting. I had been told the 1700 were the same at the 1650 but had waterproof classification. After looking at your lights they are not the same. Gavita made several changes. The 1650's have 3 rows of LED's per bar and yours look to have 2. Also noticed they relocated the plug to the side and the bars do not have as deep of a cooling fin. What is the grey metal piece in between the 2 rows of leds? it that a different UV addition? I have noticed the Gavitas do put off more heat than say the growers choice ROI-680's. Changed out the growers choice for Fluence and will be firing those up soon. Will be interesting to see the heat difference between the fluence and the gavitas

sshz

sshz

I was told the only differences between the 1650 and 1700 was the plug change from top to side, improved and more efficient drivers and the waterproof classification. The 1700 is a 2nd generation LED, the 1650's are no longer made. Yes, there are 2 led rows per each bar, but still 1000 (diodes I guess they are called) total on the light. The grey bar is the driver housing in the middle of the light, which is not supposed to be touched or it voids the warranty.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Interesting. I had been told the 1700 were the same at the 1650 but had waterproof classification. After looking at your lights they are not the same. Gavita made several changes. The 1650's have 3 rows of LED's per bar and yours look to have 2. Also noticed they relocated the plug to the side and the bars do not have as deep of a cooling fin. What is the grey metal piece in between the 2 rows of leds? it that a different UV addition? I have noticed the Gavitas do put off more heat than say the growers choice ROI-680's. Changed out the growers choice for Fluence and will be firing those up soon. Will be interesting to see the heat difference between the fluence and the gavitas
Are we going to get to see a journal of those fluence in action @Anthem?!

sshz

sshz

Anthem........I misunderstood what you were asking. I'll take a pic late tonight when the lights are off and cooled for a closeup between the LED rows- you would have better knowledge than me on what it is, etc...... I'm new to this LED game, so it's all confusing to me. I can say all the sprouts popped thru the soil within 24 hours, which is a record and they are all reacting well right now. Harvesting my old crop (see my Archive "Light Speed" grow diary) will happen over this coming weekend, and then I can spend 100% of my time dealing with these new issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom