Irie Seeds "Orange Gasm" under Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..........

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

Hey SSHZ just out of curiosity, what are your temp differences if you know them, both room temps and leaf temps, your HPS vs LED

sshz

sshz

The big difference on the Gavita's from the 1650's to the 1700's was the improved drivers.......... I know they are more efficient and use less electricity than the older ones, along with being better made thus lasting longer.

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

Hey SSHZ just out of curiosity, what are your temp differences if you know them, both room temps and leaf temps, your HPS vs LED

Don't know.......I can honestly say in over 30+ years of growing, I never looked nor worried about my leaf temperatures........apparently with LED's, it's an important factor. The biggest difference I'm noticing is in the humidity- the LED room, although slightly bigger, has a much higher humidity level which is why I bought the dehumidifier. I'm guessing it's because there are more leaves, thus more transpiring going on.

Regarding room temperature, the HPS room was always in the high 70's. The LED room is running in the low 80's right now, with the way I have it set up with exhaust fans, etc.

It's not really fair to comment without doing a summer and winter grow. I am in a high heat/high humidity area and it does impact my grows- even though I'm in the basement of my house. The house breathes, there is a healthy flow in and out of air- so outdoors does effect the indoors.

As I stated previously, my winter grows always turn out nicer than my summer ones......it's one of the reasons I switched from HPS- to get a better control of the room heat. Funny how that worked out in the end- I'm running hotter now. LOL

sshz

sshz

Today, Thursday- is 5 weeks thru flowering, so half way there. I'll be defoliating the other half of the room in the morning and arranging them a bit differently. I'm just removing any leaves blocking buds below. This side has the tallest plants, but some shorter ones also.

A few notes......... the smell is slowly getting stronger- I'm finding the Big Blue Ozone generator is not working well, as it's performance diminishes in higher heat and humidity. I may pull the unit out of the room, as it's just using electricity with no effectiveness.

Over the last week or so, I found 3 leaves with mite eggs. I know what to look for, and found them very early. Each leaf only had a few eggs, and I didn't see any mites per se. I've already sprayed the room last weekend with PureCrop1, and I'll probably spray this weekend with Dr. Zymes. The higher humidity in the room is keeping things in line, as the mites don't like the humidity (although they do like the heat) and their reproductive cycles slow to a crawl in these conditions. The defoliations help with in these matters too.

My pots are showing some signs of compacting of the pro-mix......it happens when I don't add enough perlite in the beginning and I water the plants in a certain way. Tomorrow I'll be breaking up the soil manually as I do my work in the room. It's not a big deal actually, it just helps the water find it's way down further in the pots.

I ordered my wall reflective material tonight, which I'll put up after this grow is complete. It's by Viagrow, and available thru Home Depot. I believe it's 95% reflective, which should do just fine.

Viagrow reflective film vpanda25 64 1000

Back on tomorrow with some more stuff.

sshz

sshz

This morning is 5 weeks along in flowering. To celebrate, I ripped the right side of the room apart to 1) put the largest plants in the back, 2) rearrange everything else and 3) to do a light defoliation just to remove any leaves blocking buds below them. This side of the room looks to be a bit heavier in bud, maybe for no other reason than the taller plants are carrying more weight.

I did go back in the room very late last night, 4 hours after lights out- and the "citrus" smell nearly knocked me down. Still no orange, at least from what I can tell- but surely (don't call me Shirley) a grapefruit punch to the nose.

So, first up is two pictures- 1 before and then 1 after a light defoliation.

IMG 0150
IMG 0151

sshz

sshz

Then next up, is 2 plants side by side just to show the difference. I'm not sure it's a different pheno, or just the placement in the room- but on this side of the room, I'm seeing this difference over and over.

IMG 0149

sshz

sshz

And lastly, the right side of the room now defoliated lightly, with the tallest plants in the back and ready for the packing on of buds. Also notice the front right plant, lighter in color with is the Golden Goat pheno. There are only 4 or 5 (out of 24) of these light green girls, but they stand out like a sore thumb.
IMG 0152

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Interesting video from same source. Hypothesis: the big leaves are caused by the far red in your spectrum, not the blue. The blue has kept your plants short. Further, far red and green are the key to penetration in light generally. Blurples will always be crap for penetration bc the spectrum gets absorbed too well.

I think your penetration will be better than you think and your yield as well.

sshz

sshz

If I get over that mark, and the quality it better than under HPS, I’ll be a happy guy. Growing under LED’s has turned out to be more involved and more work day to day, I just want to know it’s all worth it in the end.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If I get over that mark, and the quality it better than under HPS, I’ll be a happy guy. Growing under LED’s has turned out to be more involved and more work day to day, I just want to know it’s all worth it in the end.
There is also the new equipment syndrome 😁 makes one spend more time in the grow room. I think a couple runs and you know what to expect you will be a happily converted LED grower.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

2nd video is also worth watching........ basically it details the advantages of far-red lighting in your LED's. It appears Gavita knew what they were doing when they chose the diodes they use in their LED's. Thanks Milson, good stuff!
I have to watch this second part... It sounds like exactly what I was wondering about your lights.

Btw @sshz I appreciate you putting up with all this in your journal. But honestly if it gets to much just say so. Some great info in here.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

it's one of the reasons I switched from HPS- to get a better control of the room heat. Funny how that worked out in the end- I'm running hotter now. LOL
I know this feeling all too well haha. I am looking forward to fall already. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

sshz

sshz

Thanks Stank.......you've been consistently following from the beginning- I appreciate that!

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

So here is something that comes to mind watching this grow, First SSHZ your doing a great job and thanks for posting all the info, But here is something i'm curious about because I never done any testing under LED light, some of you may have and know the answer to this. and thats the relationship between the LED lights , Photosynthesis and sugar production. because thats king and from what I see the LED lights create some different moving parts vs HPS

The first thing I notice was the smaller stockier plant with lots of new leaf growth , that great but new leaf growth (younger foliage ) takes a lot of energy, meaning sugar that the plant is making, but there is a lot of competition going on as well in the rest of the plants for sugar as well. So thats one thing I'd be testing is sugar levels in the plants sap at various points and times to see where its at.

Another aspect I'd be curious is defoliation after flip in to flower, After flip the bud sites require large amounts of sugar and are probably the most important to receive the sugar to grow big add weight,flavor etc etc , but there is still a big demand in the rest of the plant. The only reason I defoliate in flower is to redirect or speed up sugar production in the plant, With all the leaf growth under LED light, that is creating a strong demand for sugar, at the same time the bud sites are as well as the rest of the plant. So I would think defoliation just became a whole lot more important, because if your removing the wrong leaves you could be hurting sugar production, So I would think it would be most important to be removing the younger new foliage that is taking a lot of sugar to grow as opposed to the more established leaves that are making you sugar. So thats eliminating a need, and redirecting or making more sugar available to the buds sites giving better bud production. Also over defoliation in total, hurts sugar production. I'd be shooting for 12% or better sugar levels in the leaves.

Do you happen to have a refractometer SSHZ to check sugar levels, It would be interesting to see how the levels are running under led, they could be high, right on or low, It would also be neat to see how the growth of the plant with all the foliage and multiple defoliation's are effecting sugar levels in flower.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So here is something that comes to mind watching this grow, First SSHZ your doing a great job and thanks for posting all the info, But here is something i'm curious about because I never done any testing under LED light, some of you may have and know the answer to this. and thats the relationship between the LED lights , Photosynthesis and sugar production. because thats king and from what I see the LED lights create some different moving parts vs HPS

The first thing I notice was the smaller stockier plant with lots of new leaf growth , that great but new leaf growth (younger foliage ) takes a lot of energy, meaning sugar that the plant is making, but there is a lot of competition going on as well in the rest of the plants for sugar as well. So thats one thing I'd be testing is sugar levels in the plants sap at various points and times to see where its at.

Another aspect I'd be curious is defoliation after flip in to flower, After flip the bud sites require large amounts of sugar and are probably the most important to receive the sugar to grow big add weight,flavor etc etc , but there is still a big demand in the rest of the plant. The only reason I defoliate in flower is to redirect or speed up sugar production in the plant, With all the leaf growth under LED light, that is creating a strong demand for sugar, at the same time the bud sites are as well as the rest of the plant. So I would think defoliation just became a whole lot more important, because if your removing the wrong leaves you could be hurting sugar production, So I would think it would be most important to be removing the younger new foliage that is taking a lot of sugar to grow as opposed to the more established leaves that are making you sugar. So thats eliminating a need, and redirecting or making more sugar available to the buds sites giving better bud production. Also over defoliation in total, hurts sugar production. I'd be shooting for 12% or better sugar levels in the leaves.

Do you happen to have a refractometer SSHZ to check sugar levels, It would be interesting to see how the levels are running under led, they could be high, right on or low, It would also be neat to see how the growth of the plant with all the foliage and multiple defoliation's are effecting sugar levels in flower.
Just my input not claiming it's fact but more how I understand it. Photosynthesis makes sugars. Each leaf that if photo synthesising is contributing to this and those are the leaves being exposed to the most light. The over all photosynthesis will increase overall sugars and starch production so IMO removing the leaves that are not contributing but are using sugars is the key. This could mean removing large leaves blocking penetration. No loss to overall photosynthesis as the lower leaves will now gain but changing where it happens and the need for transport. To me it would seem import to strategicly remove leave to spread this out through the plant not just at the tops where during the Calvin cycle it has to travel all the way to the roots.

So I don't think it's as easy as pull top leaves but more to pull them strategicly so that the photosynthesis is not just in one area of the plant.

Imo any leaves photosynthesizing is making more starches/sugars than the cost for it to grow. I think this is why the plant will shed the bottom leaves not contributing as a natural reaction for self preservation

Just how I see it.

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

I do not have a refratometer, I'm curious how much they are- I'll have to check one out on Amazon.

Rasta Jeff said you only want to remove leaves that are unhealthy (yellowing), or blocking a bud underneath. And of course the 1/3 lollipopping at the bottom of the plant. Leave everything else.

Tonight I went back into the room and actually removed more from the first side I did yesterday. Stand at a different angle in the grow and you see things you missed the first time.

The one thing I do miss seeing is those big, center cola's packing on the weight. But I'm thinking in 2-3 weeks, there's going to be a sea of nice colas.

I saw a few fungus gnats buzzing around tonight too. Even after 2 applications of the masquito bits, a few still manage to show up. I'll put up some yellow sticky traps tomorrow around the room to catch them.

I also wanted to show my old room under two 1000 watt HPS with Ethos Genetics "Apex" strain at 5 weeks, the exact same period as my current grow............ quite a difference between the two.

Apex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom