Irie Seeds "Orange Gasm" under Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..........

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Sunlight does behave the same way, but you need to realize that the important difference is the distance from the light source, not the distance between different parts of the plant that is being hit by the light source.

The sun is 93+ million miles away. The three feet between an upper plant bud and a lower plant bud is nothing in terms of the amount of light energy that hits each. But if your LED fixture is 18 inches from a top bud and 36 inches from a lower bud, the lower bud is getting much less light energy because there's double the attenuation.
After sitting down and doing the math, I have satisfied my curiosity that this is right and why. It's a good day, this has been bugging me for a while. Cheers!

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
After sitting down and doing the math, I have satisfied my curiosity that this is right and why. It's a good day, this has been bugging me for a while. Cheers!
Btw, in case anyone cares.
IMG 20200919 140017114

This just shows the total distance matters in figuring out the delta between two distances. Not a formal math proof or anything.

ChRonic73

ChRonic73

A new thread has been started for the "Sweet Zombie".................
Hey sshz.. I did a search for the sweet zombie thread, but there was so much chatter on this thread I can not seem to find the new one. Though I'm pretty new and have not mastered this forum yet.
Any chance you can shoot this lazy man link to the new thread?

sshz

sshz

All these types of grow reports are easily found under "Grow Diaries"............. but happy to help.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Btw, in case anyone cares. View attachment 1032918
This just shows the total distance matters in figuring out the delta between two distances. Not a formal math proof or anything.
You'll never believe this, but I was thinking about light again. I came to a realization: if I can get to some threshold for my canopy (let's say 30k) by having my lights close in and dimmed or up high and full blast, I should expect better penetration with the lights further away because the extra distance is less meaningful vs the power of the source.

And I had been keeping it in close and low for heat reasons. Now I have to have a think and possibly recalibrate.

Hmmmmm.... I will carry this on in my own thread. Sorry @sshz.

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

Tonight I'm going to do my final summary of the grow and strain, the only thing that's not finalized will be the overall weight and I'm 90% sure that number will fall between 95 and 105- that final number will be posted by next Saturday. Here goes:

"WHERE THE FUCK IS THE ORANGE?"

The Gavita's were very impressive in all areas, the strain was not. First the LED's:

I can't find one negative thing to say, other than, maybe the $1295 price. The lights are super well made, very sturdy for something that large (43 inches X 44 inches), easy to maneuver up and down, and quite effective in growing marijuana or anything else for that matter I'm guessing. The overall heat generated from them was a bit surprising and more than I expected, as it's the reason I bought them in the first place. But, if you were to put your hand 4 inches below the fixture, I don't feel any heat at all. So, because of it's design, the heat rises quickly in the room away from the plants. When I bought these, just know I was an HPS guy thru and thru. It took most of the grow before I came around but slowly, I started liking them more and more. After seeing the final weight, I absolutely love them. If we assume 100 oz exactly as the final weight, that's approx. 2.18 grams per watt- an impressive number by most accounts. I'm not so sure I will do much better than that moving forward, but it's fun to try.

Regarding the grow with them, I'm a minimalist and try to go slow and easy as it was my first grow with anything LED. I reduced my fertilizing ppm around 30% and really didn't make any other major changes in my grow style. I did have to add a dehumidifier to the room to get control of the humidity, but past that- not much different than normal. Setting the light height was the big unknown for me, and I played with it a little here and there, but generally 24-36 inches in veg and 14-18 in flowering- I did not see any negative affects from the lighting the entire grow. I heartily can recommend these fixtures, but know they are a 2019 edition and improvements are happening fast and furious in the LED market. I'm sure there are other brands out there that can equal or garner better results today in 2020........ but there's nothing wrong with these and I couldn't be more pleased overall. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Regarding the strain "Orange Gasm", I'm not overly impressed. I expected some orange or tangerine or citrus, I would have expected as much with the name. It's mostly sativa, and not my favorite kind of buzz anyway- but it's ok and better smoked in the morning or afternoon. It's probably not a strain you'd want to smoke in the evening unless you are heading out to the bar or movies or a BLM protest (LOL). I choose it because it was feminized, priced right, a heavy yielder and fairly easy to grow- which all came to fruition. I really didn't expect an over powering buzz, as the breeder never really touched on the subject in his podcast. To me, it's a skunky type of strain thru and thru. I wouldn't grow it again but you sure can't knock the final yield- the question remains was it the strain or the lights (or both) that enabled such a high yield??????

I expect the smoke will continue to improve while it continues to dry and cure and even now carries a rich and thick smoke anyway, very tasty on the pallet. I've smoked quite a bit of scissor hash from it, and the grapefruit taste comes thru nicely there. But smoking buds in a joint or bong- nothing citrusy. The breeder did say where the strain does shine is in concentrates, and he was probably correct.

Ease of growth 9/10

Potency 6.5/10

Odor/Smell 8/10

Overall 7.5/10

It's been a great thread, over 21K hits with lots of people popping in and out. I've learned a lot and probably wouldn't have had the success I did with a lot of input from others- I thank you all. Check back here in a week for the final numbers, and we'll see if I hit 100 or not. It will be an honest accounting, I can assure you of that. I'm just as happy with 90 as 110 oz.. Anyway, I expect most of the Sweet Zombie seeds to pop by tomorrow and they'll be placed in their pots and I'll start the room up again as it's ready to go. That thread has been started, see you over there.

Last edited:
Harvard

Harvard

Awesome review! I’m new to the grow forums, found this one during corona vacation. My hps lights haven’t shut off in 25 years for most part.
After following your thread I just bought two GC 680’s. Main reason is no more sun burned tops. Really hope I keep at least 2.5 - 3 lb per light as I get with hps.
Thanks for the review.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Can't wait to see the next round! Thx for doing the test with your wallet :D Great info all around.

sshz

sshz

I posted this link in the Sweet Zombie thread too, but it's a must see for those interested in the lights. It's only 8 minutes long. Interested he commented the lights should not be used in rooms smaller that 5 ft. X 5 ft. - wanna bet?????

I wanted to also mention as of today, everything that was ready has now left the house (73 oz from 17 plants) and the last 7 plants are now in tupperware for continued drying, burping and curing. This stuff still has a long way to go but should be ready by the end of the week and the remaining weight looks really good........ remember the late stuff leans more to the Golden Goat and appears to be heavier yielding and better smelling than the earlier stuff.

sshz

sshz

Final weight report.............this is NOT the final number, just an update. So as stated, 73 are dry and gone. The last 7 plants weight is currently at 36 oz. and it's dry enough to smoke well. I'm figuring another 2 oz lost for continued drying, so that would put us at 107 oz. This is just an estimate, the actual final number will be posted over the weekend. But as it stands, 2.3 grams per watt is more than I ever imagined possible.

And for sure, the later stuff leaning towards the Golden Goat is definitely better than the earlier Platinum Tangie stuff, which finished earlier. The earlier stuff looks better appearance wise, but the quality can't compete.

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

Final weight report.............this is NOT the final number, just an update. So as stated, 73 are dry and gone. The last 7 plants weight is currently at 36 oz. and it's dry enough to smoke well. I'm figuring another 2 oz lost for continued drying, so that would put us at 107 oz. This is just an estimate, the actual final number will be posted over the weekend.

And for sure, the later stuff leaning towards the Golden Goat is definitely better than the earlier Platinum Tangie stuff, which finished earlier. The earlier stuff looks better appearance wise, but the quality can't compete.
Impressive grow congrats ! It will be kool to see ya do it again ! I’ll

sshz

sshz

Doubtful we'll get that weight with the Sweet Zombie................. about 90 is a more realistic goal IMO.

sshz

sshz

Thanks...... I wasn't sure what was going to show up when I opened the video. LOL

Previously I mentioned giving away the Dragon's Flame freebies they gave me to grow out and report on. It does appear I'm just not going to get to them anytime soon and I don't want them to go to waste. A report on them would be great too when they're finished. On Saturday, with the final number, I'll post info on how to get some. They are:

1. Mushus Stash..........(Orange Dream X Bangtock) X Dragon's Stash

2. Dragon's Stash F3.......... Dragon's Flame signature strain- new seed run

3. Hydro Stash.......... 3X O.G. X Dragon's Stash

Everyone I have previously promised seeds have been received by them or have been shipped............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom