Irish Boy's 2011 Spectra Led Grow (Revenge Of Casey Jones)

• Thread starter IrishBoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PineWreck

I recently got my production license and I'm thinking about setting up an LED grow so I started reading a lot about LED vs HID online and have found a LOT of conflicting information. I saw your grows and since your results seem to be great I wanted to know what you would recommend. By law I can only have 4 plants flowering at one time, and I'm going it in a medium sized closet. I'm really leaning towards LED because I sleep in the same room containing the closet and don't want heat/fan noise issues and ventilation would be a pain.

Would you recommend using two 180s or a 290? Were the lights at growledhydro.com the best you've found so far? Will I need ventilation through the panda film that seals off the closet? Any information you give me will be greatly appreciated, and thanks for helping bring more high quality medical into the world!

I

IrishBoy

I recently got my production license and I'm thinking about setting up an LED grow so I started reading a lot about LED vs HID online and have found a LOT of conflicting information. I saw your grows and since your results seem to be great I wanted to know what you would recommend. By law I can only have 4 plants flowering at one time, and I'm going it in a medium sized closet. I'm really leaning towards LED because I sleep in the same room containing the closet and don't want heat/fan noise issues and ventilation would be a pain.

Would you recommend using two 180s or a 290? Were the lights at growledhydro.com the best you've found so far? Will I need ventilation through the panda film that seals off the closet? Any information you give me will be greatly appreciated, and thanks for helping bring more high quality medical into the world!

both led and HID work great. no matter what light you use u need ventilation, venting is not just for heat its for fresh CO2 to the plants. the GLH lights are the best ive found/seen. i would get the 2x180's over one 290w.

welcome to the world of growing ur own meds. nothing like it my friend!

LEDhead

LEDhead

I found it easier to keep my garden at 73-75F with my AC set at 75F with HID in, with the Kessil C130 and 4 H350's I was still venting but it was just the duct seating in the garden and I had to keep AC at 73F I'm using a 345cfm inline

P

PineWreck

So do you think a single 180 is just enough for two plants, or do you think it would be enough for three? I'm trying to get an idea of the strength of these lights on a smaller scale.

I

IrishBoy

So do you think a single 180 is just enough for two plants, or do you think it would be enough for three? I'm trying to get an idea of the strength of these lights on a smaller scale.

i will find out soon just got my 180's in today. i am planing on putting 1x180 over two very large plants 4'+. i will know latter on and let you know and will take pics.

I

IrishBoy

i have some cool pics for you. got my 180's in and took pics side x side with my (2011) 500w, (2010) 300w all next to my new (2011) 180w. all the pics but one are adjusted by the camera to make them not look as bright so you guys can see the details. the new 180's to my eyes back more of a punch but just on a smaller scale because of the size of the unit being smaller then the others. i took a few pics of the 3x180's right next to the 500w panel i am using and going to replace, just to get an idea of what might be best for you. i like the 180's because i can cover more area for around the same wattage. i haven't put them over the plants yet, i will take those pics latter

100 5379
100 5386
100 5388
100 5390
100 5389
100 5393
100 5402
100 5406
100 5405
100 5397
J

juju

There is an obvious difference i agree. How are you getting on? Apologies if i have missed this but what are the set ups ie spectrums, diode wattage etc?
Looking forward to an update.

J

juju

There is an obvious difference i agree. How are you getting on? Apologies if i have missed this but what are the set ups ie spectrums, diode wattage etc?

PS:

Hello.

I

IrishBoy

Cool man. Thanks for the comparison pics!
no problem, ill post pics of the plants and the lights latter on.

i dont know, i would ask the owner about that one, i just grow and not sure on the tech stuff

J

juju

no problem, ill post pics of the plants and the lights latter on.

i dont know, i would ask the owner about that one, i just grow and not sure on the tech stuff

Thats ok m8 thanks for replying.

J

juju

Hey Irish i was just looking at your smaller lights and comparing their brightness... Cree's 3w led diodes are very bright. They come in from what i can see a few ranges in their spectrums. There seems to be a lot of white light-which makes them so bright. White light produces more heat, you could try light in the bluer range say 420nm & 455nm. This would be more specific & run cooler. Bright isnt always right :) Below 420 you are moving into the UV spectrum- in the right amounts good for thc production- too much = bad.

I hope im not teaching you suck eggs. Its just a freindly idea. Without knowing your spectrums I might also be completely wrong :thinking

P

PineWreck

i will find out soon just got my 180's in today. i am planing on putting 1x180 over two very large plants 4'+. i will know latter on and let you know and will take pics.

Awesome thanks let me know what you find. It looks like I'll be buying a Spectra LED 180, and a blackstar for my first LED grow just to test out each light for myself. I have a kandy kush that's been begging to be thrown into flower for a few days now so I'm going to put it on it's own with the blackstar (It has the UV-B which is supposed to increase trich production) in a separate room while I have three in veg under the spectra and some smaller supplemental lights. Once the other three are ready to flower, I'll put them all together to get the maximum amount of light I can while flowering.

If anyone is interested I'll also start up my own grow log. Hell it'll be useful to me just because I'm pretty new to this.

I

IrishBoy

Hey Irish i was just looking at your smaller lights and comparing their brightness... Cree's 3w led diodes are very bright. They come in from what i can see a few ranges in their spectrums. There seems to be a lot of white light-which makes them so bright. White light produces more heat, you could try light in the bluer range say 420nm & 455nm. This would be more specific & run cooler. Bright isnt always right :) Below 420 you are moving into the UV spectrum- in the right amounts good for thc production- too much = bad.

I hope im not teaching you suck eggs. Its just a freindly idea. Without knowing your spectrums I might also be completely wrong :thinking
the new new lights have only about 20% white, the 500w i dont think it really has hardly any and the 2010 models i am pretty sure has none? i just a few. the new new lights have a special white led that cover a wide rang of blue NM and red NM. but all lights still have allot of blue and red not sure what NM though? their is also a side x side going to be done with the 2010 model i used for a long time vs the new one with more white so we will get to see how the difference is?
Awesome thanks let me know what you find. It looks like I'll be buying a Spectra LED 180, and a blackstar for my first LED grow just to test out each light for myself. I have a kandy kush that's been begging to be thrown into flower for a few days now so I'm going to put it on it's own with the blackstar (It has the UV-B which is supposed to increase trich production) in a separate room while I have three in veg under the spectra and some smaller supplemental lights. Once the other three are ready to flower, I'll put them all together to get the maximum amount of light I can while flowering.

If anyone is interested I'll also start up my own grow log. Hell it'll be useful to me just because I'm pretty new to this.

sounds cool, i would for sure just do a side x side so you can see what each light will do and you will know whats what? i would also suggest doing at least 2 plants under each light.

would be cool to see

T

Tttleturtle

Allright so this is my first grow I have 3x 180w blackstars and a 290w spectra in a 4x4 tent. Im going to do your set up:) So I mix sunshine#4 or soil with DM red? Then what else shouldni add for the cal/mag put some Dolomite lime? Everything Sounds legit! Gl

B

bongon

Confused

Hi Irishboy,
I have been following your post, I am alittle confused about the dates of your post and the dates on the actual pics the pics says its taken 2008 and this journal is 2011... is this your previous or your latest grow?
By the way nice work! I am looking @LED too and it's post like yours that gives me the confidence to convert.
GOOD JOB MATE!

D

DB74

I think my mind has been made up when it comes to LED growing, i think i might give them a try.

N

notorious646

Irish I read o. One of your posts that you removed the glass an had better results? Was there sundown side to removing the glass? Moisture damage to LEDs or anything I have a spectra 500 and it worked ok but I. Not quite satisfied yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom