Irish Boy's 2011 Spectra Led Grow (Revenge Of Casey Jones)

• Thread starter IrishBoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

IrishBoy

heres a update. still in the 103F+ range. girls are flowering slowly. just the heat really throws a curve ball and its makes things a pain. i cant wait for it too cool down. hoping these new lights make the plants flower light crazy in 100F+ temps.lol..

still cant believe their alive in these temps as high as 110F and healthy also. liking the Dyna Gro nutes. my camera sucks on the close ups and hard to get the details.

100 5321
100 5323
100 5325
100 5326
100 5328
100 5332
100 5334
LEDhead

LEDhead

Looks great :) sorry to here about that BS today hope everything's ok, I started my Kessil H350 grow and they seem to be doing fine but I had a couple questions for you, I've had my clones under the LED's for 5 days and growth is great but I have some pretty big preflowers on them is this normal I'm Lucas feeding with Pro Tekt, GH micro and bloom, Cal Mag + and voodoo juice at 290ppm 6.1ph RT is 73-76F and RH is 28-32%
And did you veg in 24 20-4 18-6?

I

IrishBoy

Looks great :) sorry to here about that BS today hope everything's ok, I started my Kessil H350 grow and they seem to be doing fine but I had a couple questions for you, I've had my clones under the LED's for 5 days and growth is great but I have some pretty big preflowers on them is this normal I'm Lucas feeding with Pro Tekt, GH micro and bloom, Cal Mag + and voodoo juice at 290ppm 6.1ph RT is 73-76F and RH is 28-32%
And did you veg in 24 20-4 18-6?

i vegged these ones and my last ones under 18/6. u usually go 24/0. i like 24/0 better when temps allow it. i get less stretch and stacked plants with 24/0

what are you talking pre flowers. just a few little hairs coming from the nodes? or actually little hairs looks like cotton balls kinda coming from the bud sits or tips? what time are you vegging under?

little hairs T THE NODES is normal in veg

EDIT.......................
PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME THAT YOUR MXING THE PROTECT 1ST??? I SEEN UR PICS AND THE HAIRS IS NORMAL, BUT UR GIRLS ARE HAVING ISSUES AND LOOKS LIKE A NUTE BURN OR A LOCK OUT OR THE LIGHTS ARE BLEACHING THE GIRLS. ITS VERY HARD TO TELL WITH THE PICS AND THE LIGHT ON THOUGH. BUT PROTECKT OR SILLICA NEED TO ALWAYS BE MIXED 1ST OR IT WILL LOCK THINGS OUT.

LEDhead

LEDhead

Hairs from the nodes but they are pretty long, and I'm on 24 now :) Thanks, can check it out in the journals and tell me what you think? I'd appreciate it a bunch :)

LEDhead

LEDhead

No they were clones cut WAY TOO EARLY after rooting they just say in the cloner for about 2 weeks then under a VERY small T5 till I finished and cleaned my garden the left two aren't going to make it but the right one in the back is doing great and my bean is too, and YES always add the PT first 2ml mix well then 6ml micro mix well then 9ml bloom mix well then 5ml CalMag mix well then 5ml VooDoo mix well and let set in cool dark place 24 hours then test ph and ppm this is a per GALLON mix, I then pour about 1/3 into just RO till I get to about 300ppm for now I'll raise it as I go till I hit full strenght in about 3-4 weeks :)

B

BluntForce

I'm glad I've decided to switch to LEDs after seeing your results. Not that I'll be able to match your results, I highly doubt I'm capable. I'm just really stoked that all the people who labelled me a money waster were wrong as I think this technology is almost there. When i say almost I mean it's perfectly viable at this point in time but within 3 years it will have overtaken HID in both no. of growers using them and the amount of bud they will be able to produce. I'm looking forward to getting a headstart using these so when the really awesome units come out in 2 or so years I'll have plenty of experience using them. BTW, IrishBoy... you F'iing rock mate, wicked results!

I

IrishBoy

Hairs from the nodes but they are pretty long, and I'm on 24 now :) Thanks, can check it out in the journals and tell me what you think? I'd appreciate it a bunch :)
its all good.

sometimes it stresses the girls out changing the time. keep an eye out.

No they were clones cut WAY TOO EARLY after rooting they just say in the cloner for about 2 weeks then under a VERY small T5 till I finished and cleaned my garden the left two aren't going to make it but the right one in the back is doing great and my bean is too, and YES always add the PT first 2ml mix well then 6ml micro mix well then 9ml bloom mix well then 5ml CalMag mix well then 5ml VooDoo mix well and let set in cool dark place 24 hours then test ph and ppm this is a per GALLON mix, I then pour about 1/3 into just RO till I get to about 300ppm for now I'll raise it as I go till I hit full strenght in about 3-4 weeks :)

just wanted to make sure u mixed that 1st because it will cause issues.

I'm glad I've decided to switch to LEDs after seeing your results. Not that I'll be able to match your results, I highly doubt I'm capable. I'm just really stoked that all the people who labelled me a money waster were wrong as I think this technology is almost there. When i say almost I mean it's perfectly viable at this point in time but within 3 years it will have overtaken HID in both no. of growers using them and the amount of bud they will be able to produce. I'm looking forward to getting a headstart using these so when the really awesome units come out in 2 or so years I'll have plenty of experience using them. BTW, IrishBoy... you F'iing rock mate, wicked results!

leds are very cool, its all about getting a led thats tuned in. not all leds/company's are the same. allot of them are out to make quick money and scam everyone. happens all the time and when i find them ill put them on blast, because i know how it is to bust ass all day at work to get those paychecks. these lights are not cheap.

leds are cool because you can fine tune them so much to certain NM's to get the exact needs to the plants, theirs just so many options it will take a long time to find the right combo of spectrum's.

growing with leds is a different learning curve and you will have it down soon my friend. takes time, and time to read our plants.

you know if u ever have any questions ill be right here to help you out brother.

R

Rasta Man

im well impressed irish by your results keep it up. i might even try this out myself in a few months.. only after purchasing a hps kit..

how irish are you :).. are you as irish as me ;)

I

IrishBoy

im well impressed irish by your results keep it up. i might even try this out myself in a few months.. only after purchasing a hps kit..

how irish are you :).. are you as irish as me ;)

thanks bro, you may have to try what? growing in 100F+ temps? its really not fun.lol by far not my best led grow but we shall see how it turns out?

i am pretty Irish where i bleed green, could also be from all the meds i smoke.lol

B

basement botany

Those temps make me cringe. I have been checking out your grows. Looking to convert to LED myself. Currently using a 1000 watt HID on a light mover, and 2 T5 units 4 footers. I would be in the same boat as you right now if it were not for the portable AC unit I got off craigslist. Piped the exaust out like a drier vent. I know that might not be a viable option in your case. Probably adds $20 to $30 to my bill a month and I keep it on 80 and live pratically in canada so summer heat here is probably half as bad here as it is there. And it doesn't even run when the 1k light is off. It is a good option if there is no window and or stealth is an issue. Which in my case it is both. I will probably need about 3 or 4 of those units you have to cover the area I do now. 4x8 or 4x9 depending on if I run 16 or 18 plants. Probably still use the mover but it will just move a foot or so in each direction instead of 3 and a half feet in each direction now. Thanks for all your postings you have helped me decide to move forward with LED. As it stands now in order to flower 18 plants at a time I must purchase a new Hortilux eye every 2 months for each run to maintain intensity and density and even if I weren't using a mover and doing a 4x4 area the light would still require changing for a good crop. That is a good enough reason to make the switch right there. That and I bet my AC will run 2/3 less through the summer. HID rocks but is very wasteful and achives it's goal through brute force. Way I figure it at the very least I could mix the HID in for a couple weeks during the flower cycle and really blow them up.

I

IrishBoy

nice post.

hey do u have any pics of ur a/c setup? i would love to see what ur talking about.

B

basement botany

nice post.

hey do u have any pics of ur a/c setup? i would love to see what ur talking about.

Ok as per your request. I got this on craiglist for 100 dollars. the people barely used it. Had all the accessories remote flexable pipe you see in the photo. Also is a dehumidifier 6000 btu just the right size to deal with heat of a 1000 watt HID. I built a pedistal to get it up off the floor also holds water catch bucket. You could use a floor drain though if you have one. I ran 5 inch metal ducting out of the house with drier nosel on the end hooked that 6 foot flexable part to the metal duct works great. Room never goes over 81 degrees and it's set on 80. Have to empty that bucket every few days with heavy usage and high humidity. The flap over the display is because it's very bright. That flexable pipe is ridged and holds what ever shape you snap it into by the way. You could tie it into a chimney or just dump it into a attic space or a drier vent like mine anyone of those would work. The pipe behind the AC is one of 2 fresh air intakes from the main body of my house which I keep at 75 degrees. The AC vents from the top and that fan on the ceiling picks it up and delivers it right on the girls and that hood you see hanging. When I seal the room a 435 cfm fan with 12 pounds of active carbon scrub the air before being dumped into main body of the basement. The air intakes have reusable filters in them to keep out contaminates and bugs and what not. The intakes are passive the can fan does all the work.

IMAG0547
IMAG0546
IMAG0545
IMAG0544
IMAG0543
I

IrishBoy

heres a update. its hot!!lol. max temps today were 102-103F, its been like this all week. girls are still lagging and flowering slowly. i pulled one girl out because she was a runt and was just blocking light from my big girl. i am running out of head room and my big girls are touching the glass on the led units.lol
since the girls are getting so close and temps are so high, so as of right now i am only running one 500w in the middle. figure ill get better mixing of the spectrum since they were so close to the units.

100 5366
100 5351
100 5352
100 5356
100 5357
100 5367
100 5370
100 5371
B

bmf725

Dang those girls haven't started flowering yet? is it because of the high temps?

I

IrishBoy

Dang those girls haven't started flowering yet? is it because of the high temps?

ya its really messing with them. i am trading out the 500's for some 180's to cool things down a little more. i think i am running too much light for these temps and its overdoing the girls.

B

basement botany

humm getting ideas.lol. thanks for the pics. nice setup bro

Thanks for your kind words. Idea's huh when I say that my wife says how much is it going to cost. Trade in 500's for 180's. How much of that heat is as a result of the lights. Thought I read somewhere in this thread that even during lights out you had high temps because of summer time heat. Give them to me i will put them to work. I'm sure I can accomidate whatever heat they produce. You would be in real trouble if you were using a open air HID lamp. And looking at your setup you would probably be better off with a cool tube or closed hood and just zip the heat right out of there. I can see how you could get heat build up with those things just exhausting right in the grow area with no AC. No way to stuff a portable in there huh? You may still find yourself in the same boat even with the downgrade. Hate to see a grow area cooking like that. It will definetly jack up a grow.

I

IrishBoy

Thanks for your kind words. Idea's huh when I say that my wife says how much is it going to cost. Trade in 500's for 180's. How much of that heat is as a result of the lights. Thought I read somewhere in this thread that even during lights out you had high temps because of summer time heat. Give them to me i will put them to work. I'm sure I can accomidate whatever heat they produce. You would be in real trouble if you were using a open air HID lamp. And looking at your setup you would probably be better off with a cool tube or closed hood and just zip the heat right out of there. I can see how you could get heat build up with those things just exhausting right in the grow area with no AC. No way to stuff a portable in there huh? You may still find yourself in the same boat even with the downgrade. Hate to see a grow area cooking like that. It will definetly jack up a grow.

ya the leds still put off heat just not radiant heat like HID, this is how i am able to have still healthy girls in 110F. the main reason why i am going with the 180's is because of reading ive been doing, that having too much light/watts in high heat can slow down flowering and mess with the girls, makes then work too hard and at the end they have no energy to build flowers. so i can still get foot print but have less watts. just a theory i have. we will see.

ya air cooled HID is a must for me but even with that i need a/c or my girls will fry for sure in these temps.

i wont give up on the summer grows until i find a way to grow in 100F temps without a/c. thinking the less watts is my ticket. that way the girls are not respirating more then their photosynthesizing. i also think day/night temp diff makes a big deal also.

LEDhead

LEDhead

it can be done but quality will suffer, after all it is a weed but at about 85F the plant will stop growing and use its energy to fight off the heat to stay alive I've noticed that the LED's do produce growth but heat is still a problem it might not be radiant heat onto the plant but im having to keep my AC at the same temp. as with the HID because the garden warms up FAST im still running my HID because the Magenta LED didnt produce enough growth as my 400w can and the temps. are 1-2 degrees cooler with the HID in im still going to try the KESSIL out in bloom :) but if you can cool the temps down the plant just wont produce her full potential and its going to take a long time

I

IrishBoy

it can be done but quality will suffer, after all it is a weed but at about 85F the plant will stop growing and use its energy to fight off the heat to stay alive I've noticed that the LED's do produce growth but heat is still a problem it might not be radiant heat onto the plant but im having to keep my AC at the same temp. as with the HID because the garden warms up FAST im still running my HID because the Magenta LED didnt produce enough growth as my 400w can and the temps. are 1-2 degrees cooler with the HID in im still going to try the KESSIL out in bloom :) but if you can cool the temps down the plant just wont produce her full potential and its going to take a long time

i know they can due it because ive grown in 100F+ temps a few times with leds. quality will suffer but can still pull out some frosted buds. my goal is to get just as good quality as i can

Top Bottom