Iron deficiency and soil that is too alkaline

• Thread starter BzDave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BzDave

BzDave

I definitely have an iron deficiency going on. But I also have soil that is too alkaline. From what I understand the iron deficiency can be caused by soil that is too alkaline. Or maybe I’m wrong. But I don’t know if I should treat the iron deficiency and the pH, or if I should just treat the pH and get the iron deficiency to work itself out that way. Any suggestions?

az2000

az2000

I definitely have an iron deficiency going on. But I also have soil that is too alkaline. From what I understand the iron deficiency can be caused by soil that is too alkaline. Or maybe I’m wrong. But I don’t know if I should treat the iron deficiency and the pH, or if I should just treat the pH and get the iron deficiency to work itself out that way. Any suggestions?

Photos would help. What stage of growth? Are you growing indoors or out? If indoors, what soil is it? a brand? What are you feeding? How did you determine your soil ph, and what exactly was the reading? (7.5?).

If you've one something with a pk "booster," too phosphorus can affect iron. Too much calcium can too.

BzDave

BzDave

Photos would help. What stage of growth? Are you growing indoors or out? If indoors, what soil is it? a brand? What are you feeding? How did you determine your soil ph, and what exactly was the reading? (7.5?).

If you've one something with a pk "booster," too phosphorus can affect iron. Too much calcium can too.
I think if I fix my ph it will solve the problem. Are used a digital Flynn scientific pH meter. And it was in the high eights. So I just went out now and added some coffee grounds with just enough water to rinse them down a bit.

4A04323B 2935 4CE9 80D5 1B829ACD3BEB
E7684AB7 E956 4593 8858 88562327F988
41C676F4 744B 4CBB B0F7 C328DC57B630
az2000

az2000

You're measuring the runoff ph? You've calibrated your ph pen? (There is a method that's supposed to be precise when measuring runoff. Google for "NCSU pour-through extraction method." There's also a slurry test people here do. Someone could guide you on that. The problem with measuring runoff ph is that it depends on how long the water sits in the soil and acclimates to the ph, how much is washed out and potentially diluted by water that didn't acclimate. I never thought runoff ph was reliable indicator. I bought a relatively expensive soil probe. It's not hugely accurate either. But, close enough that I can see trends.).

What are you feeding? To me it looks hungry. And, in my environment, soil ph rises when there's no nutrients in the soil. I.e., if I overfeed, the soil ph drops. I monitory my runoff ppms to have some visibility into that. I don't know if that works for all soils and nutrients. But, for me it's a very reliable indicator. My soil ph tracks runoff ppms very well. (But, my soil is very light. It's essentially soilless (peat & perlite) with 20% soil added. Maybe that's why runoff ppms work for me.). It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on yours and see if you notice a correlation with ph and under/overfed conditions.

BzDave

BzDave

You're measuring the runoff ph? You've calibrated your ph pen? (There is a method that's supposed to be precise when measuring runoff. Google for "NCSU pour-through extraction method." There's also a slurry test people here do. Someone could guide you on that. The problem with measuring runoff ph is that it depends on how long the water sits in the soil and acclimates to the ph, how much is washed out and potentially diluted by water that didn't acclimate. I never thought runoff ph was reliable indicator. I bought a relatively expensive soil probe. It's not hugely accurate either. But, close enough that I can see trends.).

What are you feeding? To me it looks hungry. And, in my environment, soil ph rises when there's no nutrients in the soil. I.e., if I overfeed, the soil ph drops. I monitory my runoff ppms to have some visibility into that. I don't know if that works for all soils and nutrients. But, for me it's a very reliable indicator. My soil ph tracks runoff ppms very well. (But, my soil is very light. It's essentially soilless (peat & perlite) with 20% soil added. Maybe that's why runoff ppms work for me.). It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on yours and see if you notice a correlation with ph and under/overfed conditions.
I’ve actually been having a problem with the opposite. I think I had given them too much food initially, and was told that’s what caused all the extreme “tacoing” that you see on the leaves. I used the meter directly into the soil.

az2000

az2000

I’ve actually been having a problem with the opposite. I think I had given them too much food initially, and was told that’s what caused all the extreme “tacoing” that you see on the leaves. I used the meter directly into the soil.

Have you calibrated the meter? Is it meant to probe soil directly?

Sometimes people go from overfeeding to deficiency. Are you feeding anything? What were you feeding, when was the last time, etc? (More info is always better.).

I don't see extreme tacoing. Nothing more than I'd attribute to summer heat.

I see there is some history. Maybe @Jimster can build upon his previous advice.

az2000

az2000

Are used a digital Flynn scientific pH meter.

Update: I see Flynn makes a soil ph probe. I assume that's what you have. (I saw a different one which is made for test tubes and could suggest using it in soil, but I don't think it's made for that.). I doubt there is a calibration for the soil probe. So, if that's what you used, I'd trust that. (If you have the test-tube ph meter, I don't know if that can work in soil.).

I still think not enough nutrients. (If the problem were too much nutrients, I'd think the soil would be on the acid side.). If it's really a soil ph problem, aluminum sulfate can lower the ph. I've only used it in a container with a plant already growing. (I've used it when making my soil, before planting.). I've read some people have concerns about the plant taking up aluminum, the health issues of smoking bud that might have aluminum in its tissue. I don't know if that's a valid concern or not. I just know it's commonly used for this purpose.

BzDave

BzDave

Have you calibrated the meter? Is it meant to probe soil directly?

Sometimes people go from overfeeding to deficiency. Are you feeding anything? What were you feeding, when was the last time, etc? (More info is always better.).

I don't see extreme tacoing. Nothing more than I'd attribute to summer heat.

I see there is some history. Maybe @Jimster can build upon his previous advice.
I definitely trust my meter. As of right now, I have added some coffee grounds to the top of the soil and also some chill laded iron as well. All I can do now is wait a few days and see what happens. When they were new were are use miracle grow soil that had the slow release food in it, but then I added some organic food to that on top. And I was definitely showing signs of overfeeding, at least according to, folks here on the website. If I don’t see a change then I can definitely add some more food. Here’s a side question I was wondering about since I’ve got you though. Do you think it’s a good idea to get some earthworms and put them in the soil?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I think if I fix my ph it will solve the problem. Are used a digital Flynn scientific pH meter. And it was in the high eights. So I just went out now and added some coffee grounds with just enough water to rinse them down a bit.
if your ph is in the 8's more often than not it due to drainage,the salts will build up with lack of drainage,put more holes in the pots and give it a few days,usally 3 days in most soils

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Slurry test the ph and ppm/ec. If your ppms are low, feed em. If your ppms are high, flush em. If your ph is low use a ph adjusted water to get the ph back up. Same goes for if it’s too high. Adjust the water to a full point above or below the direction you want it to go.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Slurry test the ph and ppm/ec. If your ppms are low, feed em. If your ppms are high, flush em. If your ph is low use a ph adjusted water to get the ph back up. Same goes for if it’s too high. Adjust the water to a full point above or below the direction you want it to go.
Good advice. I would also mention that if you have a high PPM, this can cause your Ph to read more acidic (as most fertilizers are water soluble salts with an acidic Ph), so don't chase your Ph if it is out of whack until you verify that it isn't out of whack because of too much nutrients. The Ph can also affect what the plant can use from the soil, so it is a balancing act between Ph and PPM/Nutrients.

Latest posts

Top Bottom