Is a 4ft tall grow space too small to grow a sativa dominant strain?

• Thread starter oldirty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

oldirty

Is 1.2m (4ft) too small to grow a sativa dominant strain? For example charlottes angel by dutch passion. Other dimensions are 2ft width and 4 ft length

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would say so. I mean you might get away with SOG and tiny plants. But not something I personally would try. Add the lights and the medium and your down to about 2 feet if not less.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I would say that it is possible, but will be difficult and your plants won't get to develop much unless you can keep them nearly horizontal. I have grown Sativas for years and they are difficult to keep under control. As @Aqua Man said, by the time that you figure in the lights and the growing container, you won't have much room going up. If you could make some type of hydro using a flat-ish bottom, you might be able to squeeze a few more inches out of it, but it will be difficult with the space provided. If you run them under nearly 24/0 in veg mode, it will help to keep the plants compact, and you could top them a bunch of times to spread it out, but it could be done if you were determined.

O

oldirty

Alright cheers guys so from that im assuming i should be able to do it comfortably if i go with a 150cm tent instead, im new at this and can only fit 150cm max and dont want to be forced to extensively train my plants as im bound to fuck up . Im looking at the sp250 from marshydro what do yous reckon about a light like this it says itll take up 8cm for the light itself then 45-30cm distance from plants during flower. Is this a good setup or should i be going for a some form of lighting that can be kept closer with lower yields?

BigCube

BigCube

Alright cheers guys so from that im assuming i should be able to do it comfortably if i go with a 150cm tent instead, im new at this and can only fit 150cm max and dont want to be forced to extensively train my plants as im bound to fuck up . Im looking at the sp250 from marshydro what do yous reckon about a light like this it says itll take up 8cm for the light itself then 45-30cm distance from plants during flower. Is this a good setup or should i be going for a some form of lighting that can be kept closer with lower yields?

I would personally stay away from Mars and other "known" brand names. As you are just paying more money for something with a name. Plenty of other cheaper and better led fixtures around.

tall boys

tall boys

Here's four sativa, I put in flowering at 7ft.
I'd say 8ft. by now .
20190727 155219
20190727 142511 HDR

20190729 173526

O

oldirty

Recommendations for lighting that is because the sp250 looks like a great option to someone with my inexperience. It claims 1.8g/w. And those look glorious man wish i had the room for some tall boys of my own

BigCube

BigCube

Well if you're looking for a tent. Square is better for a single light than rectangular.
3x3 or 4x4 would serve better than rectangular tent if you go with one light.

The only led I can reccomend is the only one I've used. Since I won't reccomend anything I dont know for %100 certain, is the x5 or x6 series cob lights on Amazon.

Search Amazon for x5 cob or x6 cob. They are low cost, low power consumption and work like a hot damn! Here is a link to my current grow where its kicking names and taking ass... or the other way around...

luxeluxe99

luxeluxe99

I'm about to start growing in a 2 x 2 x 4.5 and i've found a handful of short sativas by using the filters on various seeds sides, so there are a handful but you'll definitely be limited in your options. I don't have much of an option for higher but if i did i'd go to 6' so that i have more strain options.

BigCube

BigCube

I'm about to start growing in a 2 x 2 x 4.5 and i've found a handful of short sativas by using the filters on various seeds sides, so there are a handful but you'll definitely be limited in your options. I don't have much of an option for higher but if i did i'd go to 6' so that i have more strain options.

Yeah, that's the main reason I went with 3x3x6. Also the extra room is nice too.
You can always do a back of the envelope calculation, how much headroom your light needs + how close you can get to it - the room in the tent = grow area. Get a nice low wide square pot. Look up the strain and its flower growth rate. Most are at least 100%. Just flip to flower when the plant is half the size of your available growing area.

I'm making it sound easy, these calculations are to give you ballpark numbers to work with. Always round on the side of less room. And plan a %10 buffer as to make up for any unforeseen changes. It usually works for me when planning small grow areas.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I grow a lot of Sativas indoors and let them get 7 ft or so, but the base of the light isn't that high. I use HID lighting and hang my bulb vertically, with the reflector being a sort of flattened white metal reflector that allows about 3/4 of the bulb to hang below it's bottom. As the Sativas grow, they get moved from directly under the light and start to spread out, surrounding the bulb. The walls are painted a highly reflective white and reflect a ton of the light that is emitted from the long sides of the bulb. Sativas grow well with side illumination, and with careful splitting and training, they will grow unexpectedly large when they first grow under then along side the light source.
The common wisdom is to keep plants more or less under the lights. By using the light output from the vertical bulb, more of the tall Sativas get exposed to the light and they grow surprisingly bushy. When they outgrow the bulb's height (since they aren't under the bulb, they can grow taller), they will start to grow sort of sideways (especially if helped along by training) and the fan leaves will claw downward trying to get as much strong light exposure as possible. It makes for strange looking buds, but they are still large and heavy, especially for a Sativa. If I've confused you, as I often do, just drop me a msg if you want more info.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

No sativa is mostly tall with thin leaves and elongated flower, indica is more short and squat, with large fans and pine cone shaped nugs. I hate to do it but if your running out of room you can top. If it's not in flower.

Latest posts

Top Bottom