Is a homemade yeast fermenting co2 generator bucket worth it?

• Thread starter Ganjadad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Hey growers, new to the site. I’m thinking of making a homemade yeast fermenting co2 generator in a 5gal bucket. But I want to know if anyone has tried this and if it worked before I build it. So this is what I’m gonna use to build it
- 5gal bucket with lid
- air pump with 1/4” hose and stone
- 1/4” hose outlet
- submersible water heater max heating @ 93F
- 1.5gal water
- 6 cups of sugar
- 2tbsp yeast
- 2tsp baking soda
I already have the bucket, lid, pump hose, air stone and kitchen items. I would just need to purchase the heater.
Let me know if anyone had good results with this method or if it’s not worth doing. Thanks✌🏼

R

ritoMox

"I don't believe most of those home-made CO2 generators are effective and don't recommend them. If you're going to use CO2, you need to be able to control the PPM's and, in addition to having no way to control the PPM's, you'll never get the PPM's high enough using fermentation". Link
✌️

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

No. You need a cylinder. A valve kit and a control unit. Could get it all for around 500 USD.
Your room also needs to be sealed so the CO2 will stay with the plants. Tents typically aren't air tight enough to make it worth while.

Honestly, you don't need it to grow great bud. CO2 will help the plant grow faster/larger but has zero impact on quality/thc levels (strain choice and grower's skills have a greater impact) or in finish time. It can help you improve your yield. For me, the initial investment plus all the tank refills isn't worth the money. I already harvest way more than I can smoke.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
No. You need a cylinder. A valve kit and a control unit. Could get it all for around 500 USD.
Can also buy a propane CO2 generator, but they produce a lot of heat and might be overkill for a small grow space. It's a little cheaper than bottled CO2 over the long run I believe. But propane prices are going back up again, too.

Either way, propane or bottled CO2 will cost ya. The equipment isn't cheap especially the controller.

If it's just a small grow space why not just buy some of those ExHale CO2 bags that are ready to use? I've never used them, personally, but I know a few who have had good results with them.

Other than that, yeah as others have mentioned, a sealed grow space is ideal for CO2 supplementation. Also, if you have higher temperatures in your grow space, CO2 will help the plants thrive better (plants with CO2 supplement like slightly higher temperatures, actually) so these are things to consider.

At any rate, good luck and welcome to the Farm! 🤠

Ponky

Ponky

I just grow my stuff with good lights and my nugget size and density is top notch. I prefer lots of fresh air flow vs. Sealed with CO2. I think it makes less chance of mold and for a tent where the plants touch the sides of the tent it's better to just use fresh air.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Should have said this is for a a couple 3x3 tents in my walk in closet. Ive had the TC Ares 8 with there controller and valves back when I my grow house but never tried this bucket thing

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Your room also needs to be sealed so the CO2 will stay with the plants. Tents typically aren't air tight enough to make it worth while.

Honestly, you don't need it to grow great bud. CO2 will help the plant grow faster/larger but has zero impact on quality/thc levels (strain choice and grower's skills have a greater impact) or in finish time. It can help you improve your yield. For me, the initial investment plus all the tank refills isn't worth the money. I already harvest way more than I can smoke.
Yeah tell me about it i dropped around a grand for the titan ares set up back in the day. I’m just looking to boost my yield and veg

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yeah tell me about it i dropped around a grand for the titan ares set up back in the day. I’m just looking to boost my yield and veg
Does your place have space for a larger tent? Yes, I know it's likely not in the closet. It's that a larger grow space/bigger tent(s) will give you what you want at far less cost.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Can also buy a propane CO2 generator, but they produce a lot of heat and might be overkill for a small grow space. It's a little cheaper than bottled CO2 over the long run I believe. But propane prices are going back up again, too.

Either way, propane or bottled CO2 will cost ya. The equipment isn't cheap especially the controller.

If it's just a small grow space why not just buy some of those ExHale CO2 bags that are ready to use? I've never used them, personally, but I know a few who have had good results with them.

Other than that, yeah as others have mentioned, a sealed grow space is ideal for CO2 supplementation. Also, if you have higher temperatures in your grow space, CO2 will help the plants thrive better (plants with CO2 supplement like slightly higher temperatures, actually) so these are things to consider.

Yeah tell me about it, I’ve had the titan ares co2 set up it the past and my wallet and wife didn’t like that haha. I’ve been looking at the bags but since I only had to spend $10 for a heater rather than 40ish for the bag I thought I’d try this first. And I have a sealed walk in closet that the tents are in. Thanks man, glad to be here and welcome all the advice from everyone✌🏼

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Does your place have space for a larger tent? Yes, I know it's likely not in the closet. It's that a larger grow space/bigger tent(s) will give you what you want at far less cost.
Not really with it being a family house I can’t grow like I use to. I have a 3x3x5 tent for veg and a 6x6x9 walk in closet for flowering

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Yeah tell me about it, I’ve had the titan ares co2 set up it the past and my wallet and wife didn’t like that haha. I’ve been looking at the bags but since I only had to spend $10 for a heater rather than 40ish for the bag I thought I’d try this first. And I have a sealed walk in closet that the tents are in. Thanks man, glad to be here and welcome all the advice from everyone✌🏼
Then, yeah in that case give the yeast bucket a chance! The only thing I'd be worried about is a potential source of contamination/pathogens using it in a smaller space like that but if you change the water and mixture out regularly it should be alright.
Should start a journal about it here and share your experience with the rest of us!

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

"I don't believe most of those home-made CO2 generators are effective and don't recommend them. If you're going to use CO2, you need to be able to control the PPM's and, in addition to having no way to control the PPM's, you'll never get the PPM's high enough using fermentation". Link
✌️
Thank you for the advice, I’m now thinking to not do this and try to get and outside air source into the closet and tent. Maybe through the attic

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

✌️
But you know I may wanna try it just bc I’m curious to see if it will do anything to the garden and I’ll definitely do a journal with a comparison

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Then, yeah in that case give the yeast bucket a chance! The only thing I'd be worried about is a potential source of contamination/pathogens using it in a smaller space like that but if you change the water and mixture out regularly it should be alright.
Should start a journal about it here and share your experience with the rest of us!
Yeah I’ll definitely start a journal and do a comparison if I do go this route✌🏼

ninjadip

ninjadip

I'm only on my second grow but I couldn't agree with this more. If I already have a jungle as it is, I don't need another cost to the grow. My first grow I kept thinking I was lacking c02 for a great grow, I was only lacking patience and experience.

R

ritoMox

More hydro tech bleeding over to non-hydro tech grows.✌️

ninjadip

ninjadip

Yeah, if you can't get enough c02 in your small grow space an Exhale c02 bag could help. I used an Exhale XL 365 self activate bag and read up to c02 levels of 700 ppm in a 2x4 that ventilated to a 15x15 lung room.

Would I recommend this? No. Those numbers were only during one month of peak. I also realized after that I never had powerful enough lights to utilize any extra c02. Fyi you need some beast lights to take advantage of 1000+ levels of c02.

There are also c02 tank generators on Amazon, that have motorized pumps that could be wired to a controller. That is another option. Not sure if they are worth it either.

I want to let you know about it as an option though. This is for a 4L tank with solenoid $150

MagTool 4L Aquarium CO2 Generator System Carbon Dioxide Reactor Kit with Regulator and Needle Valve https://a.co/d/hjlkMII

Bellemeena

Bellemeena

I just grow my stuff with good lights and my nugget size and density is top notch. I prefer lots of fresh air flow vs. Sealed with CO2. I think it makes less chance of mold and for a tent where the plants touch the sides of the tent it's better to just use fresh air.
I found that bringing in more fresh air , with an added intake fan and an intake filter …keeps the plants healthy , wealthy and wise. People grow huge crops outdoors with nothing added..so in my weird way of thinking..Inditched the CO2 bags, generators and now just bring in fresh and and honestly..I think my plants are doing as well or slightly better.

simonkay

simonkay

But you know I may wanna try it just bc I’m curious to see if it will do anything to the garden and I’ll definitely do a journal with a comparison
Any feedback buddy, i got diy bottles now but im tryna guage how many of these bottles i would need to make an impact. I believe the bottles obviously add something because why would ppl buy exhale bags if they didnt work right? Bottles are just smaller so obviously more would help just a question of how much

Latest posts

Top Bottom