is an IX also an F2?

• Thread starter Funtcas3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funtcas3

Funtcas3

me and motherlode were chatting about this. is an inbred backcross also an F2?

Funtcas3

Funtcas3

so when is an inbred backcross just that? any specific situation? lets say you have an F7 of ur strain and still have the original daddy or mommy. would crossing that F7 with the original be considered just an IX?

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
most of the time you will see the term IX in a line after a back cross has taken place. so say you take males and females from a bx1 generation and cross them, you would refer to them as an in cross. your f7 to the original daddy would be a back cross

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
same goes with bx2 and bx3?

Bx2 and Bx3 would be putting the each future generation of offspring back to the original mother plant. F2 F3 F4 would be breeding each future generation with itself ie. putting an f2 to another f2 would make an f3 and so on. Now putting say an F5 to an F2 would still be make an f3 if im not mistaken....but it may be considered a bx....thats where the grey area comes in.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
any time you go back its a back cross. if you don't go to the original parent it would be an IX i guess or still just a back cross???. so if you take a f1 male and hit the original female mom it would be a bx1(back cross 1st gen) if you take these bx1 kids and go back to the original mom again makes the bx2, but if you take say these bx2 kids and go back to say the bx1 instead of the original mom im thinking IX(in cross) even though you went back. I'm sorta guessing here on this last one so if someone has a differnt idea it be cool to hear it.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
Bx2 and Bx3 would be putting the each future generation of offspring back to the original mother plant. F2 F3 F4 would be breeding each future generation with itself ie. putting an f2 to another f2 would make an f3 and so on. Now putting say an F5 to an F2 would still be make an f3 if im not mistaken....but it may be considered a bx....thats where the grey area comes in.

yes say you take f2 and breed them with f3 im thinking in cross on this

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Yeah, you guys are on point pretty much, any filial interbreeding is an Fgeneration...f1,f2..
When a filial progeny of the parents is crossed back to one of the original parents it's a backcross, bc.
When you take a F5 and mate it with a F2, Not sure if it's a F3 or better yet average it out and get F3.5...lol
Anyways you guys nailed it, genetics can get confusing real fast!

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Or maybe it has to be let's say a f5 to an f5 to get F6 and if it's a F5 to F2 that might designate a IX versus F?...lol
Been awhile since I've read this in school or looked it up...lol
Someone else may know, Koopa?

baba G

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
yeah baba i am thinking about this more and more. im thinking any time you take pants from the same line but of differnt generations its an incross(IX). but if you take f5 and cross to f5 its an f gen(f6). but i dotn think if you took the bx1 generations and bred them together it would be f3, could be an f1 though? but i would call it an IX.

symbiote420

symbiote420

I believe if you cross an f-5 with an f-3 that's backcrossing, even though you don't use the original mom you went "back" in your selection process. The plants must be of the same filial generation to progress to next.

Top Bottom