Is Black Pepper The Cure for Marijuana Anxiety?

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
A recent article published on the Canadian website CannabisDigest suggests that a few whiffs of black peppercorn can effectively combat THC induced paranoia.

Whether the result of a poor disposition, bad company, or the wrong strain, most smokers have experienced cannabis-induced anxiety to varying degrees. Whether that paranoia comes in the form of conspiracy theories, debilitating self-consciousness or plain old fashioned weirdness depends on the individual, but no matter how paranoia is expressed, its safe to say that there are few things worse than being subjected to social expectations when the crazy sets in.

Could the solution really be so simple? Yes. Yes it can. A study published in the August 2011 edition of the British Journal of Pharmacology titled “Taming THC: Potential Cannabis Synergy and Phytocannabinoid-terpenoid Entourage Effects”, looks at the ways in which terpenes (the chemical chemical components of plants that generate flavor, and, according to the study’s abstract, “…affect animal and even human behavior when inhaled from ambient air at serum levels in the single digits”) interact with one another to generate entourage effects, or, in other words, effects that are not attributable to any one chemical component. ”

With modern breeding techniques, terpenes have become an increasingly important aspect of the cannabis experience (whereas terpene profiles were relatively constant in the old days, breeders now work to achieve ever more specific effects by manipulating these profiles) and yet the average user knows next to nothing about them. Take Mycrene for example, the active terpene in mangos; Mycrene said to improve the effects of low grade cannabis if ingested an hour prior to lighting up. Pinene, the active terpene in black peppercorns, is what accounts for the spices soothing effects.

http://invalid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/FlavourPie_strain_english_2012-300x291.png?d5e3dc
Holland based Green House Seeds is at the front of the pack in terms of Terpene identification. They performed a spectral analysis on all of their strains and came up with this flavor wheel to help consumers pick the strains that best fit their palette.

As scientists continue to improve their understanding of terpene interactions, we can expect to see more specialized (see: CBD) and properly tested, streamlined strains on dispensary shelves. Unfortunately, the lack of true Indicas make it hard to find a purely sedative smoke.

Sometimes, it’s just a matter of trial and error: find the right strain, the right time, and the right setting in which to consume cannabis. But if you’re met with a case of pot paranoia, just throw some pepper on that bowl.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
This story starts out saying "that a few whiffs of black peppercorn can effectively combat THC induced paranoia.";
but ends-up saying "just throw some pepper on that bowl."--
I don't think "a few whiffs" equates to smoking...

...but that got me thinking:
Rastamen I knew in the'70s added a little nutmeg to de ganja for de chalice--
anyone know if a little nutmeg has any effect in conjunction with smoking Cannabis???

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I remember there was much debate on the properties of nutmeg back in the 70,s It was said to have light visual effects. I tried some and can say, that it didn't do much for me. But then again, I also bought in to the banana peel thing, guess what?, they didn't work either. :confused:

When I was kicking in the Haight I did however stumble on to some Owsley blotter in 71 and guess what???? It worked great,,,,,,,,, LOL ............ my ole lady still thinks I'm havin flashbacks.:cool: And I guess I would have to argue, whats so wrong with that. LMAO

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I remember there was much debate on the properties of nutmeg back in the 70,s It was said to have light visual effects. I tried some and can say, that it didn't do much for me. But then again, I also bought in to the banana peel thing, guess what?, they didn't work either.
I'm not talking about eating a bunch of nutmeg to get high,
I'm talking about a small amount of nutmeg--
maybe an 8th-of-a-teaspoon added to a 8th-ounce bowl...

FadedIrshEyz

FadedIrshEyz

I was reading about the effects of nutmeg after running across this thread while searching back pepper and anxiety. I read that because nutmeg contains myristicin, a psychoactive substance, in its aromatic oil, it makes it structurally similar to other hallucinogenic compounds.

LuccaDaddy

LuccaDaddy

Hey guys so just for fun I tried it and im thinking it worked exactly like I hoped. Alright here is what I,did:

These days 1 or 2 rips off the bong is enough for me. Higher quality then when I was a kid so I,dont roll jays or blunts anymore plus its so expensive so with this stuff I,have now it bring on alot of anxiety if I get too high...so I intentionally went too far...for about 20 minutes I sat here in my mind worrying about nonsense I wouldnt think twice about any other time...so I took a few good whiffs of my black peppercorn grinder with open top and aftwr my 4th whiff after 3 back to back inhales....I forgot what I was thinking about....couldnt for the life of me remember what it was I,was worrying about in my mind for like 10 minutes. Then it came back to me an I started overthinking it again and did the same thing with my black peppercorn grinder and I experienced the same immediate relief.......later that night I hit my bong again, got anxiety again....took my pepperc9rn grinder to bed an wiffd it when I laid down an again, far from paranoid. So hey guys, could be some new uses for pepper in the future. Cant wait to see if anyone tries this

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Ocassionaly if I have a heavy load emotionally and get off into a satie I can have small panic attacks. I do believe I will try this the next time this happens........ Thanks for TOFTT :cool::smoking:
@LuccaDaddy

Perception

Perception

I wonder if this would work for people who are prone to anxiety attacks when sober?

When I was in my teens and early 20's, I suffered from general anxiety, and would have bad panic attacks while sober. Even ended up in the hospital once. This made me more susceptible to getting "too high". It always seemed to me that flipping out on marijuana was just a straight panic attack... while high.

Oddly enough, I've used marijuana over the years as one of my tools for getting over the anxiety. Which I did. Maybe I should have kept pepper with me :)

CertifieDank

CertifieDank

I wonder if this would work for people who are prone to anxiety attacks when sober?

When I was in my teens and early 20's, I suffered from general anxiety, and would have bad panic attacks while sober. Even ended up in the hospital once. This made me more susceptible to getting "too high". It always seemed to me that flipping out on marijuana was just a straight panic attack... while high.

Oddly enough, I've used marijuana over the years as one of my tools for getting over the anxiety. Which I did. Maybe I should have kept pepper with me :)

Terpenes don't need to necessarily be consumed with thc or any other component of cannabis, they alone have their own therapeutic properties.

As far as my knowledge goes, alpha pinene which smells like pine as the name implies, does not come in great quantities in black peppers...

Its more the Beta-caryophyllene in black peppers that is predominant, which also is found in certain strains of cannabis.

Black peppers also contain d-limonene, alpha limonene which is a very similar compound is known for its anti-anxiety properties, and also alpha pinene is a pre cursor to alpha limonene, meaning if a kush strain for example is chopped early, it'll have more alpha pinene than limonene (assuming the strain had the genetics to produce pinene and limonene).

Limonene makes one happy, as evident by every human smelling a citrus fruit and always loving that pleasant smell. Its also good for GI related complications including acid reflux, I cannot remember the last time I had heartburn ;).

Now with all that being said, I will not discredit nor give praise to the black pepper theory, but it is for sure a fact that black pepper shares many terpenes with cannabis, and the funny part is, if you were to get head stash cannabis with these same terpenes, and instead of smoking (which is combustion and introduces other elements into the consumers body), if one was to vape the flower, the chance of the paranoia and anxiety even onsetting is cut by a very large margin. By vaping you take out a lot of components of burning that would otherwise be inside of you and could VERY well contribute if not altogether cause the paranoia.

Chlorophyl is causes paranoia, if you buy weed that smells like hay, it has not been properly dried/cured, and you should not consume it. If you do, no problem, just expect that you might get paranoia and anxiety.

If anyone has any questions, either ask here and I will try to help you out to the best of my knowledge, and/or PM me.

Stay Medicated My Friends.

LuccaDaddy

LuccaDaddy

Terpenes don't need to necessarily be consumed with thc or any other component of cannabis, they alone have their own therapeutic properties.

As far as my knowledge goes, alpha pinene which smells like pine as the name implies, does not come in great quantities in black peppers...

Its more the Beta-caryophyllene in black peppers that is predominant, which also is found in certain strains of cannabis.

Black peppers also contain d-limonene, alpha limonene which is a very similar compound is known for its anti-anxiety properties, and also alpha pinene is a pre cursor to alpha limonene, meaning if a kush strain for example is chopped early, it'll have more alpha pinene than limonene (assuming the strain had the genetics to produce pinene and limonene).

Limonene makes one happy, as evident by every human smelling a citrus fruit and always loving that pleasant smell. Its also good for GI related complications including acid reflux, I cannot remember the last time I had heartburn ;).

Now with all that being said, I will not discredit nor give praise to the black pepper theory, but it is for sure a fact that black pepper shares many terpenes with cannabis, and the funny part is, if you were to get head stash cannabis with these same terpenes, and instead of smoking (which is combustion and introduces other elements into the consumers body), if one was to vape the flower, the chance of the paranoia and anxiety even onsetting is cut by a very large margin. By vaping you take out a lot of components of burning that would otherwise be inside of you and could VERY well contribute if not altogether cause the paranoia.

Chlorophyl is causes paranoia, if you buy weed that smells like hay, it has not been properly dried/cured, and you should not consume it. If you do, no problem, just expect that you might get paranoia and anxiety.

If anyone has any questions, either ask here and I will try to help you out to the best of my knowledge, and/or PM me.

Stay Medicated My Friends.
nice post man, well put

Bambi

Bambi

Ive tried working on this for along time now since I'm not a big fan of thc only pot and found in 2002 the Calio orange strain was the near perfect mix of low thc high cbd's , its been a good example for others into medicinal marijuana especially,
It's high effect was more like a medium sized dose of - diazepam ) real good for chronic anxiety being either no paranoia effect's like this example in the calio orange and some of its poly hybrids that aren't available now like - Top lady or something lady was the oddest of all orange type highs, funny/ laughing high that left ya with a odd smerk on ya face as if you were angery yet felt happy on the inside;

Orange afghanni type plants I find incredibly grand for a Body high felt in the head also;
the ratio plants highs are what interest's myself now days, shame I still need to take a best guess that haven't been far off really when I see oversea's pals having them tested legally is a huge bonus with regards to where I reside on mother earth.

I

Irishmick

It’s a shame this post is older now @ 3 and a half years old. I love reading everyone’s comments and learning what works and what does not.
If I smoke my WW I have noticed it doesn’t help me with sleep much if at all, but my daughter(she’s older, as am I,lol) she will fall right to sleep with a few hits.
Next time i’ve taken too much I’m deffinatley going to try the pepper and I’ll post here to let everyone know if or hopefully how well it works.
I love all of this info.

M

myflorida

It's not the pepper itself which reduces anxiety, it's the flavor. You reduce anxiety by "grounding yourself" and you do that by sensing the world around you. Touch something, taste something, etc. This reminds you that you are safe and sound.
It is becoming increasingly apparent, terpenes and other ingredients of medical alter the effect of THC. Weed that devoid of balancing terpenes and cannabinoids such as CBD, can cause anxiety and paranoia, rather than cure it. A simple home experiment by Neil Young, who is in his 60s discovered that the terpenes in black pepper stopped paranoia. Young's findings went viral and attracted attention to many studies about terpenes in marijuana, that were collecting virtual dust in the internet medical annals.

Perception

Perception

...Weed that devoid of balancing terpenes and cannabinoids such as CBD, can cause anxiety and paranoia, rather than cure it...

I believe this. It’s why I’ve been growing for 3 years now - working on growing happy healthy plants in living soil. Been a long road, but my smoke has been getting better and better, and as it does, it becomes more relaxing with less likelihood of anxiety (which I’ve been prone to).

I err on the side of letting my buds get ripe to slightly over-ripe before harvesting, and this seems to really help. Really wait until I see plenty of Amber trichomes, trying to get that CBD up.

Top Bottom