Is Burnt/smoking Cannabutter Salvageable?

• Thread starter ritzcracker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

ritzcracker

Hey everyone,
Today I tried making edibles for the second time and I used the same method that went really well the first time but somehow everything went very downhill very quickly. First, I decarbed the weed, which went well. I then mixed 7g of weed with 1 cup butter and 1 cup water and put it on the stove to simmer.

I was checking the temperature about every 20 minutes, keeping it above 160 but below 200 Fahrenheit. About 40-50 minutes into the simmering, I had retreated into another room to avoid the weed smell, and when my timer beeped, I went to check the weed and found that the pot was smoking, the liquid/butter inside was absolutely black, and the kitchen was full of smoke!

I put the pot on my balcony to cool and stop smoking, but I'm really bummed at having lost that much weed so quickly. I ended up straining it into a container and it's now in the fridge cooling, so I can see whether I can separate the butter from the leftover water.

Does anyone have experience with this or can anyone let me know their experiences with really burnt cannabutter? I'm concerned that the temperature probably went above 200F, denaturing the THC, and I wonder if it's even worth eating to see if it still works (assuming I can get over the burnt smell/taste). Any ideas?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Hey everyone,
Today I tried making edibles for the second time and I used the same method that went really well the first time but somehow everything went very downhill very quickly. First, I decarbed the weed, which went well. I then mixed 7g of weed with 1 cup butter and 1 cup water and put it on the stove to simmer.

I was checking the temperature about every 20 minutes, keeping it above 160 but below 200 Fahrenheit. About 40-50 minutes into the simmering, I had retreated into another room to avoid the weed smell, and when my timer beeped, I went to check the weed and found that the pot was smoking, the liquid/butter inside was absolutely black, and the kitchen was full of smoke!

I put the pot on my balcony to cool and stop smoking, but I'm really bummed at having lost that much weed so quickly. I ended up straining it into a container and it's now in the fridge cooling, so I can see whether I can separate the butter from the leftover water.

Does anyone have experience with this or can anyone let me know their experiences with really burnt cannabutter? I'm concerned that the temperature probably went above 200F, denaturing the THC, and I wonder if it's even worth eating to see if it still works (assuming I can get over the burnt smell/taste). Any ideas?
Never leave oil or butter on the stove and leave the kitchen.
Don’t ingest any burnt oil or butter. It is not healthy at all.

I

InnoV8.420

Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

The thing about butter is it burns at 190. Most recipes say not to bring butter to a boil so people figure to keep the temperature under 212. Or like your post says 200. The point is that butter can't get that hot. I learned from baking recipes. If you use a double boiler put water in it on the stove and make sure the temperature doesn't go above 180 with your thermometer, your stove should peak and you'll know how hot it will get (assuming its electric and turns off when it reaches max heat on the setting) then make your cannabutter. Or buy a digital crock pot lol.

Top Bottom