Is Cannabis Lab Testing A Scam???

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smerb

Smerb

Moisture content,,, IMO not enough to worry about , but I'd have the water tested if it were in question, (well, alkiline etc)..

I still pull plug and have soil tested, field, for like a realaste sale and stuff, but the best soil test I was ever taught was the ol Farmer Spit soil test (dont chew gum), ol guy trades 40 acre lease for my work. I was 12 yo. I traded for a herd of sheep also. Ol Farmers ask me: how do you know if that land will produce enough for your heard. I says; I'll have the soil tested and I gonna plant alfalfa, have some extra to sell> he walk me around, with small tbl spoon of soil in his hand from different parts of the property he spit on the soil in his hand and rubs it around... The ol guys show me smeared soil we paint the soil, he says well put gypsum down here , at one end of the field his had full dirt and our spit broke down to sand- he say ye'll get 3 front end loader scopes down here, he kicks the dirt see it soft and to loose, we'll get the manure deep out of the cattle lot, heavy clay/manure down here, He finishes by saying; thats what the colo soil test co gonna tell ya. He throws in some ammonia for the spring sprouts.
comment::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
determined when bud starts breaking down losing its punch.
Reply:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
I have never been around a pro-cannabis testing facility so I should shut my mouth, but you know me:: Ponder this; what about the Mex grower breeders, in colo you Rarely see a brick of Mex but the good Mex , well you and I know that shit would hold for years in some cases (in a brick) and still have one hell of kick,,, try bricking some OG, these new grn strains, what Happens to that bud, dust, so thats hard to answer.

SO IS CANNABIS LAB TESTING A SCAM ??? i hate chemistry , i'm not your expert but I'll give a testing center this,. a good chemist, ask him , is this exact chemical in this compound. He'll usually find it if the levels are high enough.
My shit 38% tested from lab XYZ, IDK....
That spittin touch was a bit country talk.... I like it.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Sorry, I was not clear. Anyone who been around knows what kinda bud comes from you guys... I was pist at the quality and poisons at that time , I stopped at many dispense , not to many in Portland- we even went into the Indian dispenses all those shop from Port to Bend. Then I find the guy that I'm consulting for, no detail other than I think it was you that said; Out of Staters pumping crap around your state dispense, Yup, guy in alfalfa, Huge grn houses, on site lab testing, I told the guy he shouldnt do that. .disaster. cuz I was not able to help him, I never ran into this kinda attitude from a person with very ill plants, all the grn house were sick and I was asked how much gram/watt I have his sick plant to produce, Oregon had a weird law back then rite when rec opened up bout grn houses and lites, the guy wanted me to break the law there also, disaster- and AT THIS TIME , I speculate that he was a major producer of crap for many dispenses at that time,,,,
Now ON TOPIC
If I remember, Oregon didnt want on site Labs,.. Makes sense to me, testing your own product. So I'd hope Oregon got the out stater inline.
Microwave _ I was referring to testing cannabis for poisons. I'm not going to be a pyro tech here but microwave bud will tell many types of chemicals,,, I dont need to identify the chemical for you by color during the fireworks show that happens when cannabis that is full metals and poisons are nuked. At Home Lab Testing - farmers fyi. NUKED CANNABIS FIREWORKS SHOWS IN a MICROWAVE ARE BAD bud! But it 30% THC, lol
Haters gonna hate lol:love1:

Cntrlwolf

Cntrlwolf

I wasnt sure which forum this fit best in, so I opted for here. Great article.......
Thank you for posting this! I literally just ask the bud tender what they still smell at the end of the day. I'm pretty much always happy.
Washington kinda has me fucked up with this whole prepackaged, can't smell bud beforehand shit. I'm not paying $15 a gram for shit I can't even smell first.

Is Cannabis Lab Testing A Scam

A few weeks ago I was waiting in the lounge of a cannabis dispensary and overheard a rather heated discussion about cannabis lab testing. One customer swore that it was a scam, and that dispensaries only advertised lab results as a marketing gimmick to legitimize outrageous prices. The other customer swore, “I’m not smoking no poison, I’d never buy weed that hasn’t been lab tested first.” While neither of the gentlemen were particularly well-informed about the subject, both arguments did have some merit, as well as some serious flaws.

The past decade has been a gold rush for the medical cannabis industry. Thousands have seen the opportunity to make a quick dollar and have jumped into an industry they hardly understand. Many would-be growers have no prior horticultural experience, and are ignorant of the risks associated with improperly grown cannabis. Others have no qualms about using dangerous chemicals and taking unethical shortcuts to produce their products. To make matters worse, many dispensary owners don’t understand the industry any better.

The market is flooded with cannabis that may appear to be high quality but in fact is coated in poisonous pesticides, fungicides, and plant growth regulator–or thriving with colonies of dangerous microbes–or both. While many cannabis users may not notice any ill effect in the short term, some medical cannabis users are seriously ill and highly susceptible to poisons, irritants, and microbes. These are the same patients who are not in a position to grow their own medicine and rely on dispensaries.

Every medicinal, pharmaceutical, food or drink producer is required to provide third-party testing to verify product safety. Unfortunately, there is no basic level of safety or quality required for medical cannabis or the medicinal products made from cannabis. While a few municipalities require dispensaries to have their products lab-tested, this is far from the norm.

As the industry has matured, many growers and dispensaries have begun to lab test their cannabis products for the safety of their patients, and/or to give them a competitive edge. As the demand has grown for these services, labs specializing in cannabis testing have sprung up like little ganja plants, to meet the needs of the market. Most medical marijuana states now have at least one laboratory that can perform basic tests. This has empowered dispensaries to test their products for both safety and and potency, which better enables patients to choose cannabis best suited for their symptoms.

Cannabis Testing Is A Good Thing, Right?
What’s with that scary word “scam” in the title? Back to my story of the two gentlemen arguing in the dispensary. As I listened to them argue I looked around and read the big sign above the counter that stated “All medicine has been lab tested.” What did that mean exactly? All of the samples behind the counter and on the menu had the THC levels advertised, so I had a pretty good idea they were at least doing basic potency testing.

I asked the three clerks behind the counter what other testing was performed. As expected, I got three completely different answers. One said that they tested for everything, the other said they tested for mold and THC. The last told me they didn’t test for mold anymore because it was too expensive and they only bought from reliable growers anyway. He also mentioned that it was all organic so we didn’t need to worry about pesticides. This was pretty much the response I expected. It’s not uncommon for people who work in an industry to know very little about it. It’s just a job, right?

The Low Cost of Testing Cannabis
What’s sad here is not how little they knew, but that for this particular dispensary, potency was a higher priority than safety. Lets look at the math and see how much money they saved by not testing for the safety of their product. For this example I am going to use retail customer prices available from our friends at SC labs. Potency testing runs $80 while testing for potency combined with pesticides, plant growth regulators, fungicides and microbes costs about $168. Most labs require only a one gram sample for testing and most dispensaries will only test one sample from any given batch of cannabis. This means if a dispensary buys one pound from a grower or vendor and sells it in ⅛ ounce (3.5 gram) increments for about $50 each, the dispensary would spend only 68 cents per sale for a complete test.

If this pisses you off, just wait. Dispensaries often buy more than one pound of the same cannabis at a time, sometimes 10 pounds or more. If the dispensary only payed to have one sample tested the cost per ⅛ ounce could be divided by 10, now costing the dispensary only about 7 cents per sale. On top of this, SC labs as well other labs, offer significantly reduced prices for accounts that do a high volume of business with the lab. You and I might not qualify for these savings, but dispensaries will. In many cases this could nearly cut the cost of testing in half again. Don’t ever let a dispensary tell you they can’t afford to do full lab testing on their medicine. It costs about the same to test the cannabis as the packaging your medicine came in.

Price List of SC Labs Testing Services
  • Potency – $80 (Cannabinoids)

• Microbial – $50 (Mold, Mildew, E Coli etc)

• Pesticides, Plant Growth Regulators, and Fungicides- $50

• All 3 of the above tests $180

• Residual Solvents $100 (for extracts like BHO or Wax)
The Accuracy of Cannabis Potency Testing
Lets move on to potency testing, since that seems to be where most dispensaries are putting their money. How important is it to know the exact THC content of the cannabis you’re smoking? Some would argue it’s pretty darn important. Hey, you’re spending your hard earned money. You want to know you’re getting high quality medicine, right? Why would you buy an ⅛ that tests at 18% THC, when for the same price you could buy an ⅛ that looks and smells just as good and test at 20% THC?

I’m not going to tell you that cannabis potency testing is worthless but I will suggest it may not be as important or as accurate as you think. While the accuracy of test itself is probably spot on, no two buds off of the same plant are going to test exactly alike. I haven’t done an experiment myself, but based on a conversation with Ian at SC Labs, there is often as much as a 10% variation in the THC levels of multiple buds from the same plant. This means that even though the sample tested came back at 20%, the ⅛ you purchased could really be at 18% or it could be at 22% THC.

To complicated matters a bit more, the pound of buds that the sample came from probably contains buds from multiple plants. Hopefully they are from the same strain but that’s not guaranteed either. Harvest can be a busy and often confusing time. Growers rarely grow only one kind of plant. Mistakes happen. Expect a pound will have buds from multiple plants and possibly different phenotypes as well. Here is another monkey wrench to scramble your brain, the lab results can be skewed simply by how dry the bud is. Yes, I said it, the water content of the cannabis sample that is tested will affect the level of cannabinoids in the lab results.

Not All Lab Testing Is Equal
There are two primary methods for testing the cannabinoid potency of a cannabis sample. The first is Gas Chromotography which requires that the cannabinoids be vaporized so the gasses released can be analyzed. The downside of this method is that it does not differentiate between THCA and THC or any of the other cannabinoids in acid forms. This may not be important for some patients but makes it impossible to test for decarboxylation levels which are important for lab testing edibles.

The most accurate method for testing cannabis potency is with High Performance Liquid Chromatography. This method allows the testing facility to accurately read the levels of both THCA and THC as well as other cannabinoids in both of their forms. Considering the reasonable price of this equipment, any reputable facility testing cannabis potency should be using High Performance Liquid Chromatography.

Microbiological Contamination Testing
Unfortunately fungus and bacteria thrive in the same environments as cannabis. Anyone with much experience growing cannabis can tell you how common mold and mildew problems can be. Real-Time Polymerase Chain-Reaction (PCR) technology allows cannabis testing facilities to quickly and accurately determine the levels of potentially dangerous fungal contaminant such as Scopulariopsis, Rhizopus along with the more easily seen Botrytis and Powdery Mildew. Most cannabis growers and users wouldn’t guess that bacteria such as Listeria, E Coli are commonly discovered in the cannabis that dispensaries send for lab testing. Luckily these can all be detected through PCR testing. Pathogens like these may cause symptoms like food poisoning in healthy individuals but can be deadly for patients with compromised immune systems.

Pesticides, PGR’s and Fungicides
Most cannabis growers have very little experience with traditional horticulture and are usually ignorant of the proper and safe use of pesticides and fungicides. All too often poisons meant only for ornamental crops are used on cannabis. To make matters worse, dangerous and often banned substances like plant growth regulators are marketed directly to unknowing cannabis cultivators. Even pesticides and fungicides labeled as safe for food crops are meant to be applied to fruit and vegetables that can be washed before consumption. Cannabis is rarely washed before it is smoked.

We should also consider the potential chemical changes that might occur in a pesticide or fungicide when it is smoked and inhaled with the cannabis. I would wager that the majority of safety testing for pesticides is for crops that will be eaten and not smoked. Liquid Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry testing can detect dozens of these commonly used pesticide even when present in trace amounts.

Less Common But Equally Important
Residual Solvents – Cannabis Concentrates
The popularity of smoking or vaporizing hash oil, wax, budder, shatter and other forms of chemically concentrated cannabis is rapidly increasing. With this rise in popularity, amateurs are beginning to make their own extracts and develop new cheap methods for performing the extractions. All of the methods require a solvent. Some state of the art systems use high pressure CO2 but most use potentially dangerous substances like butane, ethanol, propane and a number of other petroleum or alcohol based solvents. Residual Solvent testing allows dispensaries to guarantee that their cannabis concentrates are free of chemical solvents or impurities and safe for their patients.

Terpene Analysis
Terpenes are organic compounds in the plant that create the odors that make each bud unique. Not only do they contribute to the enjoyment of smoking, but they have an impact on the medicinal and physiological effect. While still a relatively new service, some cannabis testing labs are beginning to test for terpene levels. As we begin to learn about the synergistic effect of terpenes and cannabinoids, pointless questions like “is it Indica or Sativa?” could soon be a thing of the past. This is a potential game changer for medicinal patients who struggle to find strains that work for their symptoms.

Edible Testing
Very rarely do I see lab testing done on edibles. While popular brands like Cheeba Chews test their own products and advertise potency on the label, many dispensaries make their own products and don’t really know the exact potency of their edibles. There is a little math required to convert the lab results on edibles to something intelligible to consumers, but it can and should be done. If for no other reason than patients need to know the potency of the edible they are consuming.

So, Is Cannabis Lab Testing A Scam?
If the only test a dispensary has done is the cannabinoid profiles, then yes, I would argue it is more of a marketing ploy than anything else. Cannabinoid ratios on their own, probably won’t help a customer make an educated guess as to what will work for them and it certainly won’t keep them safe from contaminated medicine.

I might be beating a dead horse, but I sincerely believe it is the responsibility of every dispensary to guarantee all the medicine they provide is safe for their patients. There are no established standards for the cannabis industry. This is the wild west. Cannabis dispensaries, growers, and cannabis testing facilities need to work together. Not only will patient benefit from reliable access to safe medicine, but the medicinal cannabis movement as a whole, might actually earn some of the legitimacy it has been struggling for.

http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/is-cannabis-lab-testing-a-scam/

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I have a question. I will use an example of two products from the same concentrate company that I won't name but it wouldn't be difficult to find, but that's not important. I would like to add a disclaimer that I am a moron.

I am looking at a gram of shatter and a gram of distillate purchased at rec shops which show purity testing, but do not disclose the method used. They are from the same concentrate company but are different batches purchased at different shops. The gram of shatter tests 753mg THCA, and 77mg of THC. The distillate tests at 921mg of THC, and (from memory) 25mg THCA. They cost the same per gram. My question is, should I be looking for THC for flower and THCA for edibles? How does a consumer/shopper decide or figure out which product is more potent? I remember hearing a different testing method is used for edibles because they require lower temps, but again, I are moron.

I've seen posts here that THCA turns into THC after applying heat, and we can come to a total potency by multiplying the THCA content by .877, add it to the THC content, and we arrive at the total THC content upon applying heat. How does this process affect edibles and edibles testing?

Looking at a testing website, they say that they use UHPLC or ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography testing 11 cannabinoids.

I see many types of tests and I am wondering as a moron would, which method is most accurate, and why? I made the mistake of asking someone at a shop who seemed to know their shit, and they said there are different testing methods for concentrates, flowers, edibles, etc. Is there a method of testing required by the MMED or is testing a requirement but without specifics? I've heard of high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) but not ultra high, and I have seen gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) as well as Ion mobility spectrometry (IMS) and thin-layer chromatography (TLC), although I know their pretty acronyms I am painfully ignorant of what they are and what they do and how they work. www.unodc.org/documents/scientific/ST-NAR-40-Ebook.pdf

Why does the shop say that their cut of Leeroy tests at 34% but the bottle shows 20%? Because of variance?

Are different methods of testing more accurate or better for different products, from concentrates to distillates to flowers and edibles and pure cbd?

If shop A says their flower tests at 25% THC, and shop B says their flower tests at 25% THCa, which is more potent?

Finally, does any of this matter if my process is:
1. Consume until high
2. Smoke two joints
3. Smoke two more
4. Sleepy time

A couple of links:
http://www.thecannabist.co/2015/12/22/cannabis-testing-labs-why-do-results-vary/45519/
and
https://www.newcannabisventures.com/understanding-variance-in-results-from-cannabis-testing-labs/

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Yes testing is a rent-seeking scam, just like all statist regulatory schemes.

@lino why didn't you just ask around and visit some higher quality shops here? Lots of topshelf available in Oregon, probably moreso than any other legal state (cause we're the best and everyone from your state are all just schwag-producing hacks).

SmokyPockets

SmokyPockets

I think testing is a bit arbitrary, all the various compounds you want to measure are not evenly distributed throughout the plant. Plus people always send in their " best" bud for testing . I think it is useful to a certain degree, but I wouldn't go basing ANY decisions on lab results

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I am still of the opinion that we need a set standard and set of protocols. That way everyone is on the same page. I'll use food labeling as an example... though probably a pretty poor one. But, the idea is this--because testing is standardized, when we read a food label that gives us a breakdown on a per-serving basis, we can rest assured that the calories they measured are measured by the same ruler/measuring stick (metric in my terminology) as all other calories. So the calories in the ice cream are exactly the same as the calories in the chips as the calories in the jam, etc, etc, etc. They aren't a different measure of calories, and THAT means that we could take that ice cream, chips or jam to some other food testing facility and reasonably expect that the calories measured by that different lab would be the same as measured by the manufacturer's lab.

Good Lord, I hope that made sense!

lino

lino

@lino why didn't you just ask around and visit some higher quality shops here? Lots of topshelf available in Oregon, probably moreso than any other legal state (cause we're the best and everyone from your state are all just schwag-producing hacks).
Personally, Ive seen some very good bud from N cali upto you guys in Oregon... I did find good bud from a airbnb home i stayed at in oregon... the local oregon ppl gave me the same warning i hear world wide,,, stay away from the poison dispenses..mine and many of our colo strains were banned, denied entry, to the HT Cup here in colo cuz we win to much, jus sayN.. It was the wild west out there in Oregon,, you guys are bout 10 years behind colo in price and quality in dispences buds, but I really like your licenses prices and procedures,, but you west coasts guys WIN overall,,, you guys got the long season, and I grew one yr in Ft Bragg Cali,,, and that was a paradise for cannabis.

lino

lino

I am still of the opinion that we need a set standard and set of protocols.
FDA pretty good at standards,,, Ive seen herds and flocks sent to dog food for a one spot on one liver, bump on the skin on just one animal. then the FDA goes and shut the cattle yard down also,,, I hear they have there eye on the cannabis industry also.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

FDA pretty good at standards,,, Ive seen herds and flocks sent to dog food for a one spot on one liver, bump on the skin on just one animal. then the FDA goes and shut the cattle yard down also,,, I hear they have there eye on the cannabis industry also.
How so?

YOU WATCH YOUR MOUTH

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Exactly who the fuck is this 'we' people keep referring to, while constantly trying to justify the use of government violence against me to enforce their preferences?

Please get your gun out of my face now :jimlad:

lino

lino

@LocalGrowGuy ,,, I heard of Fed research grants geared toward cannabis inspections,,, also heard of Feds asking cannabis inspection questions around colo agriculture dept and at universities, I also seen Feds looking at students for some new sort of Fed AG inspectors. The rest of my assumption has to do with Politics and political rumors. but it's all hear say....

guymandude

guymandude

the state of Oregon is really using this to squeeze the little grower out of the business by stating you have to test everything and jacking the prices of said testing through the roof.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

the state of Oregon is really using this to squeeze the little grower out of the business by stating you have to test everything and jacking the prices of said testing through the roof.
The Colorado Model v2.0: Fuck the little guys and take care of the pocket liners.

xavier7995

xavier7995

In theory, the idea to have everything tested is a great one. Doesn't really seem to pan out in practice though. Every other substance we consume from a licensed business gets tested, I don't see why weed should be any different. I don't take mystery pills from CVS afterall.

Edit: guy below me and seamaiden nailed it...the tests need to be standardized and produce the same results from the same sample at a variety of locations. Until that happens it is a just a pointless endeavor.

Last edited:
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Will be great when everyone hits the same standard.. One day. That day I will care more about cannabinoid content. Until then, if you claim 28% thc, I will just say, "yeah, says your test" and know your full of shit :-)

lino

lino

Lab Test are scammed and skewed by shear nature,,, Give me money to test for you, If my tests dont show what you want to see I wont get anymore money. Global Warming,,, Earths got to end and cities will be flooded and polar bears are almost extinct. Randy Marsh is proof !

Point: Dispense wants you to see THC content levels. Why are levels of Myclobutanil, Imidacloprid, Avermectin and the like Not in bold print?

Last edited:
LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Lab Test are scammed and skewed by shear nature,,, Give me money to test for you, If my tests dont show what you want to see I wont get anymore money. Global Warming,,, Earths got to end and cities will be flooded and polar bears are almost extinct. Randy Marsh is proof !

Point: Dispense wants you to see THC content levels. Why are levels of Myclobutanil, Imidacloprid, Avermectin and the like Not in bold print?

Marshpoop

The only thing better than Randy Marsh is Randy Marsh on Wheel of Fortune.

Top Bottom