Is Dry Trimming Weed Truly Superior?

• Thread starter FatManatee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bongstar

bongstar

Just dry trim. You won't ever wet trim again I promise. You can have perfect weed on the plant but if you screw up the drying process you'll have weed that tastes like hay.You need to wait till the stems almost snap to start trimming You want a small amount of moisture in the stem and for the outside of the bud to be dry to the touch. Once your done trimming you put the herb in jars for a full day, this allows for the moisture in the stem to even out and return to the bud. After the day in the jar take them out to breath for a 20 mins or so, then re jar them. At this point you'll have allowed the herb to taste the best it can.

H

Highkev

Just dry trim. You won't ever wet trim again I promise. You can have perfect weed on the plant but if you screw up the drying process you'll have weed that tastes like hay.You need to wait till the stems almost snap to start trimming You want a small amount of moisture in the stem and for the outside of the bud to be dry to the touch. Once your done trimming you put the herb in jars for a full day, this allows for the moisture in the stem to even out and return to the bud. After the day in the jar take them out to breath for a 20 mins or so, then re jar them. At this point you'll have allowed the herb to taste the best it can.
Curious, Will curing in the jars for say a month or two help Taste or like u said is it best point after 20 min out then re jarring after it’s been jarred for a day?

PETRICHOR

PETRICHOR

Harvest is coming in, have never done a dry trim before and am pondering, if it's worth the shot.

To my knowledge dry trimming reduces the time it takes for the plants to cure, but does it actually give a superior smoke compared to wet trimmed cannabis that has been cured well? Do the scores even out after curing has been done for an extended period of time?
All the oldschool farmers up my way cut em whole and hung them whole.....but if ur plant doesn't ripen all at once on every flower this could pose an issue if Ud like ripened flowers. I understand ur apprehension in too much handling reducing trichs .....keep them as whole as possible and dry trim!

PETRICHOR

PETRICHOR

Curious, Will curing in the jars for say a month or two help Taste or like u said is it best point after 20 min out then re jarring after it’s been jarred for a day?
If done properly(my first success with jars was on accident lol) you can easily double the potency of harvested flower with a good cure HELL YES YOU CAN!

bongstar

bongstar

It will get a little better over a month or so, but it gets to a point where it's going to get as good as it can. Alot has to with humidity or lack thereof. If it's real humid where you are your weed may never get dry enough to reach full flavor potential,zach and Ift's super dry out and you keep opening it it will get to dry. But if cond

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've done it both ways and will never dry trim again. There was zero difference besides being a complete messy PITA. Granted I dry my wet trimmed pot in a very controlled climate for almost 2 weeks. The other consideration with wet trimming is a lot of people hang dry their wet trimmed bud, I dont like to do that as they just get too much airflow and dry too fast. Most if not all commercial growers in BC remove all the buds from the branches into totes and then wet trim it, and use drying racks. Having the bud in a 1-2" deep layer on a drying screen helps them to dry more slowly and evenly than hanging.

The LP owner I'm good friends with has verified this method is what they use, since extensive testing of terpenes from pot dried both ways showed no difference so long as climate is properly controlled.

The important factor is to dry them slowly regardless if they are trimmed wet or dry. Wet trimmed buds need humidity in the low 60's/high 50's and temps between 15-18 celcius. Any warmer or dryer and you'll volitilize sensitive terpenes. Dry trimming acts as a buffer for less than optimal drying environments.

Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I've done it both ways and will never dry trim again. There was zero difference besides being a complete messy PITA. Granted I dry my wet trimmed pot in a very controlled climate for almost 2 weeks. The other consideration with wet trimming is a lot of people hang dry their wet trimmed bud, I dont like to do that as they just get too much airflow and dry too fast. Most if not all commercial growers in BC remove all the buds from the branches into totes and then wet trim it, and use drying racks. Having the bud in a 1-2" deep layer on a drying screen helps them to dry more slowly and evenly than hanging.

The LP owner I'm good friends with has verified this method is what they use, since extensive testing of terpenes from pot dried both ways showed no difference so long as climate is properly controlled.

The important factor is to dry them slowly regardless if they are trimmed wet or dry. Wet trimmed buds need humidity in the low 60's and temps between 15-18 celcius. Any warmer or dryer and you'll volitilize sensitive terpenes. Dry trimming acts as a buffer for less than optimal drying environments.

That and @jumpincactus said so.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

My glass jars are so caked with resin you can hardly see through them anymore. So I wet trim hang 10-15 days then straight into the bags for sales and out the door and my clients walk pass the dispensaries for mine.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter

The important factor is to dry them slowly regardless if they are trimmed wet or dry. Wet trimmed buds need humidity in the low 60's/high 50's and temps between 15-18 celcius. Any warmer or dryer and you'll volitilize sensitive terpenes. Dry trimming acts as a buffer for less than optimal drying environments.

My glass jars are so caked with resin you can hardly see through them anymore. So I wet trim hang 10-15 days then straight into the bags for sales and out the door and my clients walk pass the dispensaries for mine.

Im same ....but pull the moisture out of mine in a tupperware container to make it sweat so all buds are evenly dried then its out the door or jarred for storage...
I agree with all 3 of you. I have tried dry and wet trim side by side with the same clone, and wet trim for the win for me. Like others said, wet trim needs a more somewhat climate controlled dry time. I shoot for 12-15 days before going into jars.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Imo wet trimming allows you to get the buds tight without wanting to hang yourself afterwards. You can always hit em again once they are dried before they go into jars if you snip off some buds that overlap and find more material to trim. That’s what I do anyhow. I tried dry trimming again a month or so ago. I was depressed for a week, lol.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

With the amount of dry sift I get from the screened trim trays i wont go back to dry trimming. I guess its a trade off for the wet trimmed scissor hash.

And as mentioned by the experienced growers above the bud leaves and branches help keep things even in not perfect and changing environments.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Im same ....but pull the moisture out of mine in a tupperware container to make it sweat so all buds are evenly dried then its out the door or jarred for storage...

Important step that. I cure mine in heat sealed foodsaver bags, I just cut to burp and reseal them. lager operations sometimes use shallow rubbermaid totes. I try to keep it within 62-65% RH in the bags for up to 3-6 months before I Co2 purge it, vac some of the air volume out and seal it up.

whitebob

whitebob

boveda humidi packs for the win. do as above and pop one in your jars perfect stickiness. every time.. needs to be sticky to cure..

Thunderstruckfarmer

Thunderstruckfarmer

For personal use I find wet trimming to be easier and produces a fantastic end product.

I’ve yet to have anything commercial I’d trade for my own. But that’s me.

Not saying one way or the other it’s just my own personal preference.

I don’t think it matters much in the end it still gets dried and cured. How you skin that cat is up to you.

I’ve always believed the drying process is just an act of removing moisture. The curing process is where the magic happens.
testing is the exact same wet vs dry in comparisons I’ve seen online. Drying and curing is maintaining the life of the bud, the leaves are dead and just adding moisture to the room. Commercial operations dry trim because they aren’t as hands on and it faster to throw entire branches into a machine after dry. Dividing drying and curing into two separate processes has always been kind of wrong, even though I do it as well. The second we cut down our plants the curing has started, we are just trying to get the buds down from 95% to 58-62%. If it was possible we’d go straight to jars but they are too wet! I liked your comment and agree just wanted to add to it.

RichRon

RichRon

Im super late but I like wet trimming my buds and leaving them on the stem to dry. Its the best of both worlds. Its add a step to the process but its worth it

Top Bottom