Is Growing Going The Way Of Big Pharma?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Tonight I was watching a show on all aspects of Cannabis, mostly centering on Colorado but is the same in a lot of areas.
I admit that I'm older than dirt and in the way, but when I started growing, especially indoors, the idea was to try to duplicate what a plant would find outdoors. Seeds were saved from best buds (If you were lucky enough to get one or two) and plants were usually trained and split to try to keep them manageable.
Back to the TV show. Just about every grow showed a typical commercial grow setup with specialty plants that don't grow too tall and everything looking nice and efficient. The products look great, large, vibrant, and colorful. Like a Hot House Tomato.
Looking back, the plants have totally changed with most being much shorter and designed to have fast flowering, low stretch, and all of the other great things, but in the process, are we creating a Frankenbud? Truthfully, I don't see the big differences that growers claim. Everything seems to be either a slightly Indica or a slightly Sativa hybrid, but there are so many choices and hybrids of hybrids that plants are beginning to get almost too uniform.
I know that growers o this site like variety, but just about any of the dispensaries, at least in Pa, grow only the standards, with a full Sativa or a straight full blooded, non hybrid Indica bring something of legend, simply because they don't have the yields that seem to be developing the genetics as we progress. What are your thoughts? Are we heading for a great hothouse tomato that is uniform and the same everywhere, or ca n we keep the homegrown heritage varieties that are a little smaller, not as pretty, not as strong, but has a sweet and non overwhelming taste and smell? Are economics driving the old strains into oblivion?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Agree. Breeding for high thc lab tests and short flowering time as first concerns has made many newer strains seem flat and boring to me.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i agree with both yall,i think with legalization in most states will bring a big problem,just for a while,thought is,it new and everyone is on board when it was ilegal for the fact we strive to keep others from telling us what to do,teen years all over,with legal stuff hitting the streets,i see lots of robbery not for just product,but for extortion to put the business out of business and bring folk back to the street corner,just my opinion,there are a few strains left out there if you can get realseed co. to respond to your messages,all mountain and tropical strains,true sativas like the old days,indica plants stay low and all for managment on the indoor plant,i havent smoked one yet i liked,i like to keep control of my thoughts and indica just melts me to a chair and i dont get shit done,nope dont like um,i think the plan for the highest thc count is a crippler to this plant,but im not one that wont to be shit face,i use a true meds,3 or 4 hits im done for a hour or so.
so im with your thinking of just another gimmick to drain the wallet and no real benifit from it,this old gizzer aint paying 100 bucks for 5 fem seeds,with that look what that started,the autos aint no way i would grow them.
science aint about shit when it really cant be explained if you dig,studies ha,this one say this and that ,and once in a while someone will agree,then 10 yr down the road ohh shit this causes cancer,

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Just wait till the fda gets involved with your medical cannabis, do you want to ingest orally or a suppository in your anus?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I still grow the same strains I did 30 years ago, but I also like to mix with some old school Indica, not the hybrid stuff that is the poster child for legal grows. The growing methods have changed so much, it's hard to tell what you will end up with. The program on Colorado's program and showing some of the grow operations...it looked more like a science project/X-Files type of thing than a normal looking, growing plant that you see outdoors. It's like making wine with old vines VS a cell cultured plant that produces only the grapes without the hassle of having vines, arbors, and the labor that goes into it. Like tomatoes, I think the "heritage" strains are getting decimated by the new green tide, since they aren't as easily managed or have the giant yields you see today.

H

Hdinkleman

where i live the “legal” market is garbage.
the more people want to make money the worse the quality will get.
itll be up to us small farmers to produce the best flower, all the big companies care about is money.

legalization in the small markets where i live will and has already ruined the flower market.
everyone here wants cartridges, which are garbage in my opinion, basically paying flower prices for leaf trim

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
where i live the “legal” market is garbage.
the more people want to make money the worse the quality will get.
itll be up to us small farmers to produce the best flower, all the big companies care about is money.

legalization in the small markets where i live will and has already ruined the flower market.
everyone here wants cartridges, which are garbage in my opinion, basically paying flower prices for leaf trim
You in Oregun? It’s all shit here now. $5 grams been sitting on the shelf since 2017, LMFAO! Had to make it cheaper so they can afford there heroin to.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I mean you have to understand where they are coming from specially in the Denver area. There is no new licenses so the price of getting in the game tripped over night.

It's def going in the direction of commercial AG. You would be stupid and broke if you didn't. The cost of running something like that, while paying rent in Denver (fucking retarded speaking of CO exclusively), is why most people who think they know what they are doing or have zero experience in the AG sides of things and are coming from real estate/ retail businesses and investments fail after a couple of years and get bought or sell the business.

Growing some lanky ass 13 week Sativa for the head isnt going to get you more money in your store. 90% of the people who are shopping in those stores prob have never even smoked a real Sativa even tho they think they have. It all comes down to money. That's what the legal market is. It's no difference then people blowing out houses and warehouses on the down low just on a bigger scale with a lot more cost/regulation/testing involved all while getting less per lb with tons more competition.

You also have to understand they are growing either what they can get their hands on, can buy, or what people want, or had to pay one of their dudes to bring it in by offering them enough money to make it worth their time. These are a bunch of square fucks usually and they can't exactly just be like "yo hook it up with that East Coast clone." They have no clue where to even start or are gonna get taxed like a mofo. Behind every head running one of these is some non head ass people 99% of the time.

Why the people who did it right to regulate the market did it by sq ft of canopy and not plant count (as long as their is a cap on the licences and how many you can hold) which im not sure if there is any of that on the state level just local.

Where we are heading is once the Fed's get involved its all going to be concentrates and extracts. You wont even be able to sell/smoke flowers. They won't actually even be growing plants at that point. Follow what GW Pharma is doing and the patents they hold to get a better idea of what the future is going to bring.

https://patents.justia.com/assignee/gw-pharma-limited

Also using brewers yeast to produce cannabinoids

Last edited:
RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Modern weed sucks for too many reason to list. Should we try anyway?

Every single person who stopped buying your 60 dollar 8ths when the dispo opened is gonna be on Thc pills in 5 years. The Low quality market created by big pharma friends has guaranteed future monopolized success in that crime category.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

So, I'm in Oregon. I'm an economist by training. I've grown for a long time. I'm getting older than fuck. Here's my prediction(s).

1) The US will deschedule marijuana before the 2020 elections. One party or another will grab the issue to try and win. The states will be eager supporters, because they are budget starved, and watching Oregon, washington, Colorado's tax revenues from weed.

2) the producers in these states will first overproduce, because it doesnt take much money to grow weed; the barriers to entry are tiny.

3) prices will plummet for three years. Thats about what it will take to starve weak producers out.

4) prices will stabilze upwards to cost of production plus 20-25%. Quality will specialize. There will be beer price grade, and a whiskey price grade.

5) mass marketers will emerge, and speciality producers will emerge, much like the beer market.

In short, an informed market will emerge. My two cents

H

Hdinkleman

no im in vermont, probably the dumbest people in the northeast, im not from here.

the dispensary here is a joke, i bought three slices three different time that were full of seeds.
have bought bud there that was drier than a saltine cracker.
also premature stuff as well

then you got all the inbred idiots on facebook posting lefalization memes.
straight idiots dont understand, nor do i think they care, that they will all be paying super exorbitant prices for “good” stuff, or super cheap for absolute garbage.

and dont get me started about the cartridges.
i dont want to taste some fake ass strawberry cough flavoring in my leaf trim run oil lmao.
cartridges go for 40-50$ around here and the dumb fux in my area love them.

because they are the type that like hot dogs, not prime rib

argue if you want, oil carts are leaf trim people are paying premium flower price for, and they love it! so stupid
let me sell you a 2000honda civic for the price of a 2019 bmw.

oh well somebody has to be taken advantage of for “legal” weed to work.

no thanks ill grow my own premium flower, no garbage here

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
So, I'm in Oregon. I'm an economist by training. I've grown for a long time. I'm getting older than fuck. Here's my prediction(s).

1) The US will deschedule marijuana before the 2020 elections. One party or another will grab the issue to try and win. The states will be eager supporters, because they are budget starved, and watching Oregon, washington, Colorado's tax revenues from weed.

2) the producers in these states will first overproduce, because it doesnt take much money to grow weed; the barriers to entry are tiny.

3) prices will plummet for three years. Thats about what it will take to starve weak producers out.

4) prices will stabilze upwards to cost of production plus 20-25%. Quality will specialize. There will be beer price grade, and a whiskey price grade.

5) mass marketers will emerge, and speciality producers will emerge, much like the beer market.

In short, an informed market will emerge. My two cents

Yeah the craft beer market is always a good thing to kind of go off of. The problem is the growth and where we are now took decades. I guess you need to take that into consideration when dealing with this. The other problem is the whole flower component of it. Once big name investment gets involved you will see the whole smoking side of it gone. Even tho there will always be a market for it.

The only real people that should worry are the people pumping out sub bar work. Just like in craft brew you have the people that drink keystone and the people that drink the good stuff. I mean Mexi Brick is still floating around Texas in large quantity. There will always be a market for high end weed. Spec when people pay 20k for glass. The large scale stuff is going to go the way of whatever the new science is based on cost. If you are making carts and can make THC cheaper then growing plants without a bunch of lighting be sure there is gonna be some serious money behind it. You just have to pick your lane and pick it wisely. Why I feel for the newcomers. They have to navigate this and if they don't have anyone to kind of teach them the ways of what has happened in the last 20 years with the market its gonna be hard for them not to loose their asses.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

n
then you got all the inbred idiots on facebook posting lefalization memes.
straight idiots dont understand, nor do i think they care, that they will all be paying super exorbitant prices for “good” stuff, or super cheap for absolute garbage.
That's not what we see here in the PNW. Plenty of great weed for reasonable prices in the stores. 25-28% THC for 6 bucks a gram. 14% for 60 bucks an oz. Legalization works.

H

Hdinkleman

That's not what we see here in the PNW. Plenty of great weed for reasonable prices in the stores. 25-28% THC for 6 bucks a gram. 14% for 60 bucks an oz. Legalization works.[/QUOTE

people are still selling black market imported california garbage right up my street for 50$ a slice.
carts go for 40-50$ a piece

im not making a generalization here, i finished my black market career last december. worked in this area for the last 20 years and finally had enough, the market has changed dramatically in the last year. people around here dont give a crap about quality, i liken it to the fact that we have very few high dining, or anything close to it, ar0und this area but there are many chain restaurants and diner ( which anyone who works in restaurants knows are the porta pottys of the culinary world)

heroin is king now, all us OG stoners cant compete with that, or meth that is spreading into the area now.

my post here is more of a frustration of being aurrpunding by redneck scumbag junkys more than anything.

rant over lol

P

Pass2TheLeft

You all sound more concerned with the money.
I just want it legal so i can grow without fear and provide my father with the medicine he needs to be comfortable.
You all sound like drug dealers

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

You all sound more concerned with the money.
I just want it legal so i can grow without fear and provide my father with the medicine he needs to be comfortable.
You all sound like drug dealers
Lots of people sell. They won't be for long. Lots of others of us, myself included, grow for personal use.

P

Pass2TheLeft

Lots of people sell. They won't be for long. Lots of others of us, myself included, grow for personal use.
Reason i posted what i said is because i got in trouble talking about this and was warned by mods lol

P

Pass2TheLeft

Your all lucky to be able to grow it legally cant you all remember having to hide what you do now your moaning its legal wtf is wrong with you all

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Your all lucky to be able to grow it legally cant you all remember having to hide what you do now your moaning its legal wtf is wrong with you all

Heres a fact you might not like.

There have been way more weed arrests since medical has been allowed than ever before.

And im sure it will increase now that we have rec.

And they havent even figured out how to bust high drivers yet. Just wait.

Weed is far from legal. Its regulated. Not even close to the same thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom