Is Hay smell normal or what should I change?

• Thread starter Kopper1013
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kopper1013

So I’ve been struggling with bud rot here and there.

As I harvest a big colla depending on where I find the rot I take some bud from inches away and hang it up and around my house.

The buds feel dry but the smell kinda like hay? They’re aren’t big buds or something that I would think would have a problem in my 65% humidity basement….
I’m try now to make a dry area for my plants but that could go negatively to. Started this a fun thing and along the way things keep piling on 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ Didn’t realize I need a whole drying situation also

freezeland2

freezeland2

That 65% humidity is probably why you get rotten buds.

K

Kopper1013

Are they rotten or just don’t smell right?

I’m getting the actual rot from growing outdoors in the northeast and fall🤦🏻‍♂️ Did know anything about photoperiod vs. autos and these COLD nights and rainy days are killing me

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

There is a thing outdoor growers do called bud washing. I've never done it but its something you can search.

Wet outdoor weed that smells like hay - kinda makes sense to me. I'd make sure they were pretty close to manicured before I hung them just to reduce the organic and humidity load.

K

Kopper1013

Ok I’ve been reading about bud washing (but skipped it for this tiny stuff) and have my H202 ready, hopefully end of the week will be my first harvest 🤞

beluga

beluga

I'm in the northeast, too - our autumn loves to destroy our primary colas.

Rule of thumb to keep you safe - if a bud has visible signs of fungus, the invisible parts are endemic to all of that bud. Might not be accurate, but it's a 'better safe than sorry' situation to me.

I personally don't use anything until there is a distinct break from the rotted bud. I.e. rotted bud - stem - not rotted bud.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Are they rotten or just don’t smell right?

I’m getting the actual rot from growing outdoors in the northeast and fall🤦🏻‍♂️ Did know anything about photoperiod vs. autos and these COLD nights and rainy days are killing me
Didn’t know you were outdoors. So if I understand you want to hang your crop in the basement but the concern is 65% rh. Is running a dehumidifier an option for you? 60% and temps below 70 degrees would be better for drying.

Plants do smell like hay right after chopping sometimes.

K

Kopper1013

My buddy just let me borrow a stand up air conditioner/dehumidifier I’m going to attempt to use inside an 8 person ice fishing tent 🤣🤣 gonna run that for a couple days and check my readings before I harvest to see if that viable

Top Bottom