Is he reaching? New rockwool in hydro

• Thread starter ispy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

ispy

@Cashmeh - hey, i did not want to hijack my own thread so i figured i'd start another here. i started this up the other day and he is kinda taking off here. you think he is reaching for light? sure is getting tall fast.

thanks

Is he reaching new rockwool in hydro

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

@Cashmeh - hey, i did not want to hijack my own thread so i figured i'd start another here. i started this up the other day and he is kinda taking off here. you think he is reaching for light? sure is getting tall fast.

thanks
For sure. Turn that light up 10% according to your lux app not light dial. 15-20k. Looks to green to me. . push it harder

I

ispy

You trying to jinx yourself calling it a he? :)

Looks like you have been feeding already - I'm seeing a lot of salt on that hydroton.

Looks to be a 6" netpot? Any roots coming out the bottom yet?
lol. i don't want to be sexist but i dang sure aint doin he/she... ;) it...
so no food - thanks for noticing that. i saw it and meant to ask thoughts on that. no idea where that is from. i rinsed them thoroughly. used distilled water. it is a 6" netpot. no roots visible yet

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

New hydroton and only distilled water?

Are these bubble buckets or RDWC?

If you look at the cotyledons on the first pic and then the second, you will see they are starting to fade to pale green on the way to brown. This is an indication they are hungry, but don't dump the nutes on just yet. Lets see what is going on with the roots. Can you carefully move aside some hydroton and take a peek? Are there roots coming out of the rock wool?

Assuming these are from seed so you should have a tap root headed straight down. If you don't see that, you may be over-wet and we need to sort that before feeding.

I

ispy

RDWC. yes new. I did notice that which made me think I need to move to next step. I will check the roots as suggested and post back soon. Thanks!

I

ispy

So good catch. It had not even broke through the rockwool. I opened it up and that root was head off to the side. It kind of straightened up when I opened it. Was not even peeking out.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

For me, I do not even put the seedlings in the RDWC system until the roots are fully established and able to support the plant. Depending on your system, you may not even be getting water to the rock wool. Is it wet right now? Have you been top watering at all?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

While you have that out, maybe give that hydroton a good bath in the sink to wash off the white stuff.

Did you perhaps add bacteria or great white or similar? It's a little out of focus, but could be mycos I suppose.

I

ispy

I am new here and I had some good help from @Cashmeh. Many ways to skin a cat right? It is very damp. I have top watered some but water line is high and it is keeping it damp. As for adding bacteria or anything - absolutely nothing. Just distilled water and light. I even checked the other day and PH was still as expected and no PPMs. I will rinse them now.

looked real quick and found this on reviews for this hydro.

White deposits on the stones even after washing
By raghu bala on May 17, 2022Leaves white deposits even after washing, rinsing and cleaning. Pebbles break very easily

4qt Hydroponic Clay Pebbles, 3 lbs, 8mm-12mm, Toypopor Natural Organic Expanded Grow Media for Hydroponics, Drainage, Decoration, Aquaponics and Other Gardening Essentials​

I

ispy

While you have that out, maybe give that hydroton a good bath in the sink to wash off the white stuff.

Did you perhaps add bacteria or great white or similar? It's a little out of focus, but could be mycos I suppose.
Also, on that white stuff - it is only on the very top layer of the hydro. As I dug in the rest is all clear.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

guess he is ready for some food?

View attachment 1261707
So remember once your ppms drop around 50 to 100ppm you can feed it and raise it back up to the 300ppm or wherever you were having success with ppms falling.

I generally pick those pebbles out once they get alot of buildup on them. I wouldnt top feed over those salted pebbles though.

So its just from your nutrients and evaporation leaving them behind. No biggie but controllable later on once you want to look into it.

Moe prolly has lots of ways you can filter it out if ya ask him.

I

ispy

Thanks,
I did have a question on that for you. I was looking at the grow charts from General Hydro and they call for WAY more nutes at this point. Am I misreading it or do you not subscribe to their guides? I realize most guides are a general rule. or is it the scale they use?

Last edited:
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Thanks,
I did have a question on that for you. I was looking at the grow charts from General Hydro and they call for WAY more nutes at this point. Am I misreading it or do you not subscribe to their guides? I realize most guides are a general rule. or is it the scale they use?

View attachment 1261983
So them as a company want you to use more of their product. Im sure if you call them they will try to convince you to do drain to waste for their benefit.

Generally we use half what the suppliers says to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom