Is isomerizing worth it?

• Thread starter Graywolf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Graywolf

Graywolf

Hi ya’ll!

I have been wanting to isomerize some cannabis oil for a long time and some of our play group finally got around to doing it at one of our shindigs, just for shits and giggles, and of course intellectual curiosity.

Don’t try this at home kids! Alas, I won’t bore you with the story and Joe’s wife still lets him come out and play with us, just not at their house anymore.

The process did work out however and so far four of us have tried out the product, but it has not yet gone out for volunteer panel testing, so take this with a grain of salt.

All of us are unfortunately high tolerance patients who no longer experience euphoric highs and vaporizing it, none of us experienced a high, but three out of four of us noted increased mental effect above our already medicated baseline, while the single dissenter reported only a mild headache.

Interestingly the 6’7” 250 pound dissenter is possibly the lowest tolerance member of the group, but all of us require approximately 3X the dose for the average standard tolerance person.

We used a mix of Shiskaberry and Blackberry trim, so the available CBD content was not high to start with, and the nature of my own body’s reaction suggests that the isomerization process also increased the CBN levels.

CBNs sedative effects were suggested by my sense of calmness and lack of bruxing and speediness, which I usually experience with increased THC, despite the increased mental effect.

Now that we have the equipment assembled, we will try the high CBD medical strain that we are currently nurturing from a donated clone, when it is available.

Process:

To isomerizes the cannabinoids, we reflux boiled the BHO in an ethanol tincture with sulfuric acid and neutralized with ammonia.

We used a boiling flask and an Alhin condenser for the reflux, and kept the condenser flooded using ice water from an ice chest and a small aquarium pump. Heat was from an electric heating mantle.

After four or five distilled water washes to purge the ammonia, we added polar hexane to steal the cannabinoids away from the non-polar alcohol, separated them using a separatory funnel, and flashed off the hexane in a beaker, using a hot pad.

The end product was a thick viscous dark amber waxy resin.

My own impression at this point is that the process works exactly as represented, but the effect was not earthshaking on the strains that we tried. More after additional experiments and a wider range of testing.

GW

Mr. Molecule

Mr. Molecule

Good work, that's how it's done.

My own impression is as it has always been, though: that it is only worth it if you have some really degraded (low THC) and very cheap material to work with. Like, if you got a kilo of cheap Mexican weed for $100 (is it still 1974?) that had a shitty sleepy buzz and didn't really get people high, that would be an ideal candidate for it.

Would love to talk to you Graywolf, but I don't have enough posts yet to get or receive PMs here so if you see this would you please email me at [email protected] (or if you know someone on the Canna Cabana, maybe we could get together through them, I'm Reverend Budbreath there). I think we have interesting things to talk about...

I

Inuit

Hey all,

I've got all the gear to do it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

You need to do a "Beam Test" and see if there is any cbc to start with. The beam reagent is potassium hydroxide in ethanol, and will give a pink/purple coloration in the presence of cbc.

You can read up on the beam test on www.scribd.com, and search for "Marijuana Genetics" by micheal stark. It readily describes the beam test, as well as a couple other reagent test. It also will give you concentrations to make the reagent. I don't have it on this cimputer. If you can't find it pm me and I will dig it up for you.

Also, you might have very well degraded the cbc into whatever the next compound is, or further down the degradation pathway by flashing the solvent off. I've flashed off a bit of ISO before and much prefer slow drying.

Best of luck :)

Be safe

I

Z

zoeronerer

its worth it chyld..... yum... dont give any away someone will crash their car,,,,

Graywolf

Graywolf

Hey all,

I've got all the gear to do it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

You need to do a "Beam Test" and see if there is any cbc to start with. The beam reagent is potassium hydroxide in ethanol, and will give a pink/purple coloration in the presence of cbc.

You can read up on the beam test on www.scribd.com, and search for "Marijuana Genetics" by micheal stark. It readily describes the beam test, as well as a couple other reagent test. It also will give you concentrations to make the reagent. I don't have it on this cimputer. If you can't find it pm me and I will dig it up for you.

Also, you might have very well degraded the cbc into whatever the next compound is, or further down the degradation pathway by flashing the solvent off. I've flashed off a bit of ISO before and much prefer slow drying.

Best of luck :)

Be safe

I

Good idea on the Beam test until we can sort out our new used testing equipment. I have Stark's book in my alchemy library. I just checked inventory and have NaOH, and CaOH, but not KOH, so I will pick some up.

Solly, flash off was maybe a bad choice of words. By flashing off, I didn't mean flame. I meant by evaporation, with or without vacuum assist or heat.

I watched a video of flame extracted ISO, but have personally never tried it and excepting for possible accident, am unlikely to.

Yeah, I'm guessing that I not only converted CBD's to THC, but some of the mature THC to CBN. As ya'll know, it is all about time at temperature and the isomerization process added both.

GW

I

Inuit

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiments in the future.

I've been making a batch of oil each weekend (qwiso), using about 100-160g trim each time.....Need to make up some beam reagent and see if it would be worth messing with :)

Be safe

I

Top Bottom