Is it Fungus gnats or Aphids?

• Thread starter urijah710420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
urijah710420

urijah710420

Saw this guy flying around in my tent. Is it a fungus gnat? I was going to flip to 12/12 tonight but having found that in the tent should I treat the coco with anything? Thanks dudes!!

Is it fungus gnats or aphids
Is it fungus gnats or aphids 2
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
see any more? look closely at the soil surface? just stare at it a bit while moving your fingertips along the surface..

urijah710420

urijah710420

I have 6 2 gallon pots in my tent. Out of those 6 pots I only found 2 little black bugs crawling on the coco after i ran my finger thru the coco. They flew out of the pots when i did that. Looked like fungus gnats to me but I'm no expert.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i’m guessing yes gnats, if so the bad with gnats is their larvee which will eat at your roots.. generally just cover the soil or coco with an inch or two of perlite, try to keep the area dry meaning don’t let their be spilt water sitting around and keep it windy!! you could hand sticky traps too, act now and you’ll be able to flip soon..
but maybe wait for another reply to confirm it’s a gnat.,

urijah710420

urijah710420

Haha i got so lucky to catch him. I saw him flying around so i sat in front of my tent for 1+ hour and finally saw him land on a leaf and squished him between my hands haha. Is there anything yall would recommend to run thru the coco to kill them? I'm letting my coco dry out completely in hopes to kill any eggs in the coco. I will hit the store tomorrow and get some perlite to top dress with. But is there something i should run thru my coco or should letting it dry out completely do the trick? Thanks!

Last edited:
GrowHobo

GrowHobo

3/4 Inch of perlite with some diatomaceous earth mixed in on top will stop the adults from getting back in to lay eggs. Azamax works ok. I can’t remember what the life cycle is on larva but you gotta treat them a few times if u go pesticide route. I like the perlite on top method. I just do it now because I hate gnats.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Haha i got so lucky to catch him. I saw him flying around so i sat in front of my tent for 1+ hour and finally saw him land on a leaf and squished him between my hands haha. Is there anything yall would recommend to run thru the coco to kill them? I'm letting my coco dry out completely in hopes to kill any eggs in the coco. But is there something i should run thru my coco or should letting it dry out completely do the trick? Thanks!
i don’t i would let the coco dry right out..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i don’t i would let the coco dry right out..
if there is eggs and larvee the whole life cycle is like a month and a female can kay like a gazillion eggs!
get something on the surface of that coco, even a towel something till you can properly treat it

urijah710420

urijah710420

Will be picking up perlite and flytraps for the room tomorrow. Until then I put paper towels over the tops so nothing can get in or out. While doing that I noticed a couple other critters wtf lol can anyone identify any of these. I keep my room spotless so it's kinda crazy to me to find damn bugs. These were not in the grow tent but in the room that the tent is in.

Bug04
Bug03
Bug02
Bug01
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
must be humid or hidden moisture coming from somewhere

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Nice picture of that nasty flyer.

Great tips about perlite. I read that sand could also work. The idea is it to be a inorganic material that blocks their traffic.

Someone might have mentioned it but you could also dry out your medium. If it was soil you could do that. With Coco I dont think thats a good idea. I only run soil myself.

I have gotten bugs through soil. Even the ones that are high quality and treated.

sticky non toxic fly traps are a good idea. You could have it hanging or place over the pot.
and good airflow is Key.

Good luck

urijah710420

urijah710420

Besides the gnats I think I might have figured out what I have. Springtales. The first picture is off google of a white springtale. The next two pictures are of what I believe are springtales found in my coco. W/O the camera flash the bugs in my coco look white in color: In the second picture below I actually captured the tail leading me to believe they are springtales. Lemme know what you guys think. Been researching all night lol.

Spring3
Spring2
Spring
Moshmen

Moshmen

Will be picking up perlite and flytraps for the room tomorrow. Until then I put paper towels over the tops so nothing can get in or out. While doing that I noticed a couple other critters wtf lol can anyone identify any of these. I keep my room spotless so it's kinda crazy to me to find damn bugs. These were not in the grow tent but in the room that the tent is in.
Spring tales

Top Bottom