Is it Fungus gnats or Aphids?

• Thread starter urijah710420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Its the company FoxFarms that makes that Ocean Forest you have used hundreds of bags of. You know, the moist soil you were not aware was wet. The one you insisted was clean and that if any grower experienced problems with it, it was only due to the sloppy procedures of the grower or the store. lol

They make froggy as well.

Happy Growing
They used to be the best though. “Back in my day”

Happy Growing

🍀

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Its the company FoxFarms that makes that Ocean Forest you have used hundreds of bags of. You know, the moist soil you were not aware was wet. The one you insisted was clean and that if any grower experienced problems with it, it was only due to the sloppy procedures of the grower or the store. lol

They make froggy as well.

Happy Growing

yeah I wasn’t sure if you meant happy frog. And the only bugs I ever got from soil was from potters gold soil made in Michigan. It contained root aphids. Which are a bit of an epidemic out here now.

Never had a bug problem from any fox farm soils no matter how upset you get. I have seen poorly stored soil with gnats flying around like in an open garage at a grow or feed store. I always look for properly stored bags that are not sitting around long.

storage is where a bag could get wet. It’s a bad problem up here in winter.

do you think OF is hot too?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

mosquito dunks work for me all I use is coco. Which is what he’s using. Same way he’s using it too sprinkled on top. Coco should stay hydrated it keeps from salt build up and keeps your plant happy by providing oxygen and nutrients to your plant. You should not let your coco dry out.

FF or fox farm sure does come with bugs. You can properly pasteurize tho and it would be fine.

I specifically use md in coir because 80% of the time gnats come around because of the water factor.

If you cook ocean forest in the oven you kill all the micro life. Might as well use pro mix.

and are you saying you have had gnats come right out of the bag or soil bin? Or see live larvae in a fresh cup? Cause I have not in 7 years of almost exclusively using it in my perpetual garden. I do mix it with 25% more large perlite chunks for better drainage. I had problems trying to grow in it without.

And you would save a lot of money with the microbe lift at 4 drops per gallon of water/feed compared to mosquito dunks. In another gnat thread another even more concentrated BTi product was mentioned

dextr0

dextr0

I don’t use OF anyway.
I was just thinking if had bunch of bags that’s what I’d do to use it again. Proper pasteurization actually keeps good microbes etc alive while killing off bad.

Gnats in FF soil every time. Out the bag. But again I don’t use it now.

I do need to find a better product for BTI it’s just always convenient to go grab it because I don’t always use it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I don’t use OF anyway.

Gnats in FF soil every time. Out the bag. But again I don’t use it now.

I do need to find a better product for BTI it’s just always convenient to go grab it because I don’t always use it.

if there were gnats in the bag it got wet at some point. They appear when there is fungus and water. Like wet organic soil not drying out.

dextr0

dextr0

if there were gnats in the bag it got wet at some point. They appear when there is fungus and water. Like wet organic soil not drying out.
That’s for sure all the shops had the bags just tossed about. I’ve had fresh FF OF that worked great. But I’ve had more with bugs etc.

That’s actually one of the reasons I looked towards coir.

Top Bottom