• Thread starter mikkel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikkel

mikkel

Is it good to trim this a bit

G

geemonty

Personally I don't trim until 5/6 sets of true leaves then I top depending on what the plant looks like height wise. When I do top I don't take off any of the leaves below until there are newer leaves shading out the lower ones. There is not really any airflow issues and what looks like good light exposure. You could top it now if you wanted maybe. There are probably more knowledgeable growers that will jump in with better info.

Last edited:
quirk

quirk

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. For instance, when I get a mature 5th node, I cut off everything below the 4th node and begin training.
My reasons are:
1. To get rid of lower popcorn producing bud sites, and focus the plant on more productive growth.
2. To provide great airflow throughout grow.
3. To provide ease of watering and training.
This works for my auto grows.

BeginLST
Plastic or cloth
G

geemonty

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
This actually somehow made me think of something I read about awhile back when I was looking into cloning but can't recall where... maybe here on the farm? I have never seen anything about this since and can't find where I read it. I never tried it but from what I recall is that defoliating the lower nodes at an early stage, but just the fan leaves not the branches, gives more light exposure to those branches and causes them to grow at a greater rate and you can take them as cuttings for clones much earlier than you normally could. Probably not relevant to the OP but it just kind of popped in my head reading your post.

mikkel

mikkel

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. For instance, when I get a mature 5th node, I cut off everything below the 4th node and begin training.
My reasons are:
1. To get rid of lower popcorn producing bud sites, and focus the plant on more productive growth.
2. To provide great airflow throughout grow.
3. To provide ease of watering and training.
This works for my auto grows.
those plants are beautiful
but you guys seriously have to tell me what nodes are hahaha
english isnt my greatest langauge, and im a bit confused

im guessing 5 nodes is when one branch has 5 leafs to it, or is it when there is 5 branches or something else?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

those plants are beautiful
but you guys seriously have to tell me what nodes are hahaha
english isnt my greatest langauge, and im a bit confused

im guessing 5 nodes is when one branch has 5 leafs to it, or is it when there is 5 branches or something else?
Nodes are the leaf sets that stack on top of each other as the main stem grows. In other words, when the plant sprouts from seed it throws a set of pre leaves called cotelydon. From there you'll get your first set of leaves. This is your first node. after 5 sets of these leaves you can think about topping or fimming the plant.

I assume you are of German descent judging from your name and the way you spelled it?

mikkel

mikkel

Nodes are the leaf sets that stack on top of each other as the main stem grows. In other words, when the plant sprouts from seed it throws a set of pre leaves called cotelydon. From there you'll get your first set of leaves. This is your first node. after 5 sets of these leaves you can think about topping or fimming the plant.

I assume you are of German descent judging from your name and the way you spelled it?
Danish, but close enough

So these things are the nodes right?
And did i count them correct?

AC73CFCB B260 4D6F A9F5 1E06A5D45F35
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Danish, but close enough

So these things are the nodes right?
And did i count them correct?
Yes Sir!

I got to see Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden back in the 90's when I was a touring musician. Beautiful country!!

G

geemonty

Honestly looking at it from side view I'd probably top it now if it was my grow. I mostly just top and do some light LST to guide ~16 tops into a rough grid to fill the canopy evenly.

Top Bottom