Is it hemp or pot?

• Thread starter Madbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

Watching the cbd infused Moonshiners show last night and they got a hemp bud that looked like pot. Did a quickie wiki and the plants look slightly different but no more than any sativa-indica comparison. Even the hemp buds looked tasty. Quick news search shows cops busting truckloads of legal hemp because the existing tests for thc are binary, it has thc or it doesn’t. So low-level hemp tests positive for thc. My question is how to tell the difference, short of smoking some.

Vagician

Vagician

Hemp for CBD and cannabis for THC are visually no different. The federal definition of hemp is anything below 0.3% THC. Simple as that. I've smoked plenty of hemp flower and it has been fairly tasty but nothing compared to quality THC buds. The genetics just aren't there yet for hemp.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Watching the cbd infused Moonshiners show last night and they got a hemp bud that looked like pot. Did a quickie wiki and the plants look slightly different but no more than any sativa-indica comparison. Even the hemp buds looked tasty. Quick news search shows cops busting truckloads of legal hemp because the existing tests for thc are binary, it has thc or it doesn’t. So low-level hemp tests positive for thc. My question is how to tell the difference, short of smoking some.

You can't tell the difference without having the THC levels tested. Hemp is considered anything less than .3%THC according to federal law.

Currently transitioning to hemp myself as it is more profitable in Colorado.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
One thing that sucks about this, my buddy had an entire crop sit too long, the THC levels went beyond the legal limit from curing. So now it's all useless.

We are getting the 100% THC free, high CBG strain this year 🤠

Madbud

Madbud

Hemp for CBD and cannabis for THC are visually no different. The federal definition of hemp is anything below 0.3% THC. Simple as that. I've smoked plenty of hemp flower and it has been fairly tasty but nothing compared to quality THC buds. The genetics just aren't there yet for hemp.
So the buds look the same just the hemp trichomes don’t contain thc? Maybe thats what I’m asking, does hemp have trichs?

Madbud

Madbud

Btw, the alcohol extraction used on Moonshiners looked loaded with chlorophyll after soaking hemp in 190 proof ‘shine overnite.

Vagician

Vagician

So the buds look the same just the hemp trichomes don’t contain thc? Maybe thats what I’m asking, does hemp have trichs?

Hemp definitely has trichomes. You can't visually tell the difference between quality hemp and quality med/rec THC cannabis. It all comes down to the lab testing and what the THC levels are at. Less than 0.3% is hemp, over 0.3% is a dangerous nasty DEA schedule 1 narcotic right up there with heroin 🙄

The alcohol extraction they did could have the alcohol cooked off of it and you would then have crude oil, a.k.a. RSO. That is what goes into distillation to become beautiful golden vapeable oil. If the initial extraction was done hot and soaked for a long time it will have more pigments and waxies in it. Do it with super chilled ethanol and only soak for about 20-30 minutes and it will be a sexy, almost reflective, black color.

Madbud

Madbud

It was a nasty molasses color after using a sketchy double-boiler, that blended well with some 100 proof shine but nothing i would vape. Tried the quick cold ethanol shake and strain a couple times with no success.

Vagician

Vagician

It works best if you are below -40F. You'd also need a centrifuge that can spin off all but about 2% of the ethanol, about 1,000 RPM. The oils stay in the ground up plant matrix if you don't use a centrifuge. I definitely wouldn't vape anything until it has been extracted, winterized, filtered, and put through distillation once or twice. Vaping RSO would be naaaaaasty.

Top Bottom