Is it ready? First time grower that may have made mistakes with other plants.

• Thread starter SUPER_DAVE_SO
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SUPER_DAVE_SO

SUPER_DAVE_SO

Is it ready  first time grower that may have made mistakes with other plants
So, first time grower... I had 3 plants...I thought one was ready, but after drying and putting in jars now for 2 weeks I don't notice any smell when I open to burp the jars... is that normal? The 2nd plant I cut down I did so because I figured it was close and I also noticed a powdery white mold (after having looked up what it was) developing on some of the leaves and I figured it would be best to cut it down to salvage the bud. The 2nd plant is more fragrant in the jars, but still not the smell most of us are used to.

The above plant seems to be almost ready, the weather has turned colder, the hairs have almost all gone orange, and there's a pretty fragrant smell. But after the first 2 plants I just want to make sure that the timing is right.

I have read that as the plant grows near to harvest time some of the leaves may start to brown as nutrients are pulled out of them and redirected to the buds, which seems to be what I'm observing now.

Looking for the advice of those more experienced and smarter than me.😁

2Bad

2Bad

View attachment 1176629So, first time grower... I had 3 plants...I thought one was ready, but after drying and putting in jars now for 2 weeks I don't notice any smell when I open to burp the jars... is that normal? The 2nd plant I cut down I did so because I figured it was close and I also noticed a powdery white mold (after having looked up what it was) developing on some of the leaves and I figured it would be best to cut it down to salvage the bud. The 2nd plant is more fragrant in the jars, but still not the smell most of us are used to.

The above plant seems to be almost ready, the weather has turned colder, the hairs have almost all gone orange, and there's a pretty fragrant smell. But after the first 2 plants I just want to make sure that the timing is right.

I have read that as the plant grows near to harvest time some of the leaves may start to brown as nutrients are pulled out of them and redirected to the buds, which seems to be what I'm observing now.

I wont be able to help diagnose . But I had a question do you have anything in the jars curing the bud? Like humidity packs/bovedas?

growsince79

growsince79

View attachment 1176629So, first time grower... I had 3 plants...I thought one was ready, but after drying and putting in jars now for 2 weeks I don't notice any smell when I open to burp the jars... is that normal? The 2nd plant I cut down I did so because I figured it was close and I also noticed a powdery white mold (after having looked up what it was) developing on some of the leaves and I figured it would be best to cut it down to salvage the bud. The 2nd plant is more fragrant in the jars, but still not the smell most of us are used to.

Id cut it a few days ago.

SUPER_DAVE_SO

SUPER_DAVE_SO

I wont be able to help diagnose . But I had a question do you have anything in the jars curing the bud? Like humidity packs/bovedas?
Nothing at all in the jars, other than the bud... being impatient I have tried a bit of each just after the drying was done and while not super potent, I got touched off it... from what I've read, curing can last up to 2 months (depending on the grower), and that fragrance and potency will strengthen over time. The 2 plants have only been in jars now for 2 weeks at most.

SUPER_DAVE_SO

SUPER_DAVE_SO

Also, looking for suggestions as to the best way to get seeds started.. I've got multiple seeds for about 5 or 6 different strains. I've generally just put some wrapped in moist paper towels and just kept it moist... generally had not bad luck I think... but looking for something consistent as there are a couple strains I only have 2 or 3 seeds of so far.

2Bad

2Bad

Nothing at all in the jars, other than the bud... being impatient I have tried a bit of each just after the drying was done and while not super potent, I got touched off it... from what I've read, curing can last up to 2 months (depending on the grower), and that fragrance and potency will strengthen over time. The 2 plants have only been in jars now for 2 weeks at most.
Ok good. So probably not the best strain for you if you like those terpy strains you got to do a pheno hunt or find a good clone and make sure you clean the clone before growing it out

2Bad

2Bad

Also, looking for suggestions as to the best way to get seeds started.. I've got multiple seeds for about 5 or 6 different strains. I've generally just put some wrapped in moist paper towels and just kept it moist... generally had not bad luck I think... but looking for something consistent as there are a couple strains I only have 2 or 3 seeds of so far.
I do the jiffy pellets. So easy.

growsince79

growsince79

Potency won't get better, but the taste might. IMO if you have to wait 2 months for it to taste good- it's garbage and I'd look for better genetics.

SUPER_DAVE_SO

SUPER_DAVE_SO

I do the jiffy pellets. So easy.
Something that can be picked up in most gardening stores? Do they have a pretty high success rate? With the one strain I grew from seed I was able to get about 50 to 60 percent success rate... problem was my cat decided to eat the seedlings.

SUPER_DAVE_SO

SUPER_DAVE_SO

Potency won't get better, but the taste might. IMO if you have to wait 2 months for it to taste good- it's garbage and I'd look for better genetics.
I'll wait it out and see what happens. I have enough to last me long enough to do the wait. I like to think that the weed wasn't garbage as it was given to me by a person who works for a cannabis company in Canada that grows for the government, as well as themselves. It's more likely that it just never reached it's potential as I have little to no clue as to what I'm doing. So many things on the internet contradict what others say, but the couple articles I read said curing is very important... anywhere between 2 weeks to a couple months... and most seemed to agree that both potency and taste will get better with time.

Oh well, live and learn. I've got seeds for the 2 strains so will see how the next batch comes out now that I have a little bit more experience and can hopefully cultivate something better before giving up on those 2 strains altogether.

2Bad

2Bad

Something that can be picked up in most gardening stores? Do they have a pretty high success rate? With the one strain I grew from seed I was able to get about 50 to 60 percent success rate... problem was my cat decided to eat the seedlings.
Yea they are at gardening stores and home depot get the 30mm(smaller size). And my success rate was 6 out of 6 for my seeds and i'm doing clones now which are all thriving hoping 24 out of 24 and I think i'll get that.

SUPER_DAVE_SO

SUPER_DAVE_SO

Yea they are at gardening stores and home depot get the 30mm(smaller size). And my success rate was 6 out of 6 for my seeds and i'm doing clones now which are all thriving hoping 24 out of 24 and I think i'll get that.
You're giving me high hopes!!! I didn't cut any clones this year as I was terrified that I'd destroy the whole plant, but with a pretty good collection of seeds I'll be trying it next year for sure (or sooner if I take the dive and invest in lights and a tent).

Madbud

Madbud

Got some nute or light burn but shes done. Try half a solo cup of fresh soil, seed about a half inch deep, cover with a baggie and add some warmth, sunny window etc. takes three days to sprout, never fails. Use a clear cup inside a colored one if you want to watch roots grow and keep an eye on soil moisture. Remove the baggie when they sprout.

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Do you have more photos of the plant in the photo above ? The whole plant ?

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

The reason I asked to see a full view, is several of my plants were looing like your first photo but up the whole plant. It happened with in a week. It started affecting my sugar leaves. I was close enough harvest so I chopped. Still not sure if it was the plant pulling the last of the nutrition out of the plant as I was in soil in the ground. ?

SUPER_DAVE_SO

SUPER_DAVE_SO

The reason I asked to see a full view, is several of my plants were looing like your first photo but up the whole plant. It happened with in a week. It started affecting my sugar leaves. I was close enough harvest so I chopped. Still not sure if it was the plant pulling the last of the nutrition out of the plant as I was in soil in the ground. ?
We've had some cold nights in Toronto as of recent and I stopped bringing in my plants once I put them in 5 gallon pails because they're just too heavy... some of the days were cool and gloomy as well, so I think mine was weather/seasonal related

Latest posts

Top Bottom