Is it safe to grow cannabis using compost from a local farm?

• Thread starter Mitchdigger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mitchdigger

Mitchdigger

I am thinking that since there is a farm near me that has free compost that I would like to try it to grow some cannabis. I have a few questions and I was hoping to get some answers here.

1. Is there already a thread on this subject with a step by step instructions on how to do this?
  2. Is local farm compost a good medium for growing cannabis?
  3. Will I need to add anything to it?
  4. Is there any prep work needed before I use it?
  5. I plan on growing in 2 gallon fabric pots indoors, I plan on keeping small plants will the small pots be an issue for the roots?
  6. How do I kill any bugs or anything else I might not want in my indoor grow that might be living in the compost?
  7. It is my understanding that when I first start, there will be plenty of nutrients, but as time goes on they will get depleted. Is this true? If so can you give me some tips on how to add nutrients once they are depleted and when I should do it?

I would also appreciate any tips in regards to using compost.

Kind Regards

karolanne

karolanne

I just read a post about someone that has mildew in his plants and is losing all his weed and has to desinfect everything multiple times on a certain period of time. That person probably used clean things but it turned bad. You should have a look at the post.

If someone that do everything by the book gets spores, I would be cautious using compost that comes from a farm. I'm not saying you should or not, I don't have enough knowledge, but red the post and think about it.

CannasaurusR

CannasaurusR

1 yes FAQ's and hundreds of organic grow threads
2 More than likely
3 yes compost should be 1/3 of your mix usually
4 yes make sure it is fully composted, not hot, fresh or new
5 Not as long as they have a healthy root zone (food water air etc)
6 You don't... composting takes care of most nasties but you have to have a pest plan beforehand, called an IPM on the forums. You will get bugs. What ya do with them is another 2 years of reading LOL.
7 Plenty of styles to growing, see faq's and read, read read.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

1. YES
  2. Is local farm compost a good medium for growing cannabis? YES
  3. Will I need to add anything to it? It depends on what's already in it.
  4. Is there any prep work needed before I use it? See #3
  5. I plan on growing in 2 gallon fabric pots indoors, I plan on keeping small plants will the small pots be an issue for the roots? I would go to 3 gal or 5 gal fabric.
  6. How do I kill any bugs or anything else I might not want in my indoor grow that might be living in the compost? Umm.. Complex answer.
  7. It is my understanding that when I first start, there will be plenty of nutrients, but as time goes on they will get depleted. Is this true? If so can you give me some tips on how to add nutrients once they are depleted and when I should do it? Recharge is what I use. That and you add soil, not nutes.

camdendiesel

camdendiesel

I just read a post about someone that has mildew in his plants and is losing all his weed and has to desinfect everything multiple times on a certain period of time. That person probably used clean things but it turned bad. You should have a look at the post.

If someone that do everything by the book gets spores, I would be cautious using compost that comes from a farm. I'm not saying you should or not, I don't have enough knowledge, but red the post and think about it.
Yea...wouldn't want to use something from outside on your plants...might ruin them...

Brendanpre

Brendanpre

There used to be a grower on here that did these badass, monster, outdoor grows in nothing but cow poop iirc. Not 100% sure but I think it was "Great Lakes", maybe one of the older members can help me out here?

Rooke

Rooke

There used to be a grower on here that did these badass, monster, outdoor grows in nothing but cow poop iirc. Not 100% sure but I think it was "Great Lakes", maybe one of the older members can help me out here?
yes it was Great Lakes that grew in cow dung and she’s a fantastic outdoor grower she knows her shit! I only wish I could be the grower she is! Not on here anymore 😢but you can still read her posts. I believe her manure was at least 3 years old . Hope this helps!

7munkee

7munkee

There is a guy on you tube that sells bags of compost he makes. He cooks it in an oven overnight at like 150 degrees to kill any crawlies. Of course a lot of the good stuff is killed also, but that can be recharged with some decent compost tea.

Observationist

Observationist

I’ve used cow manure before, my first outdoor grow-I didn’t know what the fuck to expect or what I was doing, mixed with some other things, like perlite and sand and peat sphagnum moss and some ocean forest soil

I didn’t have to do anything else besides setup a net, because when it rained and the buds got soaked, the 10ftorso one hanged all over the place, had colas bigger than my arm.

And got these

8C3BC2C4 7B3D 4E0C BEA2 FEEF98107A7C

Latest posts

Top Bottom