Is it to hot to grow cannabis outdoors in Phoenix, AZ this time of the year?

• Thread starter justinsloan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

justinsloan

Hi, I am doing hydroponics with a four slot kit that you commonly see with the reservoir system. I purchased ten seeds and when two out of four turned out to be bad and died in the first 36 hours, I decided to just get all of them going. I live in Phoenix, AZ and it is the summer time. The hottest time of the year. I would like to keep the spare plants and just grow them on my balcony. And when I say spare plants, I mean anything that results in excess out of six seeds, which would be more than 2. Would it be possible to grow cannabis outdoors in Phoenix, AZ starting it in this time of the year? Because pots and some soil are not that expensive and I can just transfer my rockwool cubes into that.

J

justinsloan

Part of me thinks that if I leave it out on my apartment balcony only when it can achieve sunlight and then just bring it back into the air conditioning and put it in under some cheap LED stand lights for each of them. It does get good CO2 outside, but the heat is my only concern.

freezeland2

freezeland2

If they are photos I’d say wait until next year. Auto’s you shouldn’t have any issues other than fighting heat.

V

Vic2459

Im here in NM a state over, i have shade cloth over my greehouses and fan and misters going. Its been high 90s here if that helps at all

fargonaz

fargonaz

Hi, I am doing hydroponics with a four slot kit that you commonly see with the reservoir system. I purchased ten seeds and when two out of four turned out to be bad and died in the first 36 hours, I decided to just get all of them going. I live in Phoenix, AZ and it is the summer time. The hottest time of the year. I would like to keep the spare plants and just grow them on my balcony. And when I say spare plants, I mean anything that results in excess out of six seeds, which would be more than 2. Would it be possible to grow cannabis outdoors in Phoenix, AZ starting it in this time of the year? Because pots and some soil are not that expensive and I can just transfer my rockwool cubes into that.
I've had one in the sun since June 26th. It's not growing fast but it isn't dying either(story of my first grow.) It gets full sun from ~7A - 2P and I'm watering it every 2 days, feeding on normal schedule.
It's supposed to be sativa leaning hybrid.

I started one(bag seed) in April but by the middle of may it wasn't doing well(zero growth) and put it in the tent(still there.) I think the extra moisture(monsoon) is helping, even with the last few days being drier; it doesn't seem to cause any extra stress like it did with the other plant, but: genetics. So all this crap is anecdotal.

IMG 20220629 104007
IMG 20220708 093418
josefrahl

josefrahl

I tried 1 auto. It was dying at about week 5. Was just too hot. Tried putting it in a shadier spot, but the damage was done. It never grew past 5 or 6 inches. I decided on just indoor growing from then on.

azstew

azstew

I'm in Apache Junction and I wouldn't start outdoor anything this time of the year.
They can stand the heat if they grow up from spring. But the sun is just too intense.
I'm gonna do a mini grow indoors in a few days in a 2 kilo Coffeemate jar and a $6 air pump.Then start outdoor grow later.

20211231 141946
MacroLogos

MacroLogos

You could frame up a small pvc cube - 3x3x5 - and cover it with greenhouse plastic to create a small DIY greenhouse... then make a "5 gal bucket cooler" (youtube it) to cool it off and humidify it.

Last edited:
MacroLogos

MacroLogos

You could even wrap a 2' × 4' × 6' garage rack/shelf in greenhouse plastic and do something like we did for our "veg tent". This is not outdoors, but it is in an uninsulated "shop" with a metal roof and cooled with an evaporative cooler hooked to that AC Infinity 6" high cfm fan... and temps have stayed in low/mid 80s all summer.

20220709 095602
20220709 095625
20220709 095332
20220709 095351
MacroLogos

MacroLogos

This "5 gal bucket cooler" is a design I started with and I was getting 30+° drops in temperature from ambient. It is designed to be powered by a 6" high cfm fan (400+ cfm) attached to the duct work in the lid. Everything to build it came from lowes (or homedepot) and cost about $100. Note: The 120v fountain pump is the bigger one lowes sells, but any of them will work.

20220711 091429
20220711 091045
20220711 091217
20220711 091128
20220711 091135
20220711 091122
20220711 091149
20220711 091206
J

justinsloan

I've had one in the sun since June 26th. It's not growing fast but it isn't dying either(story of my first grow.) It gets full sun from ~7A - 2P and I'm watering it every 2 days, feeding on normal schedule.
It's supposed to be sativa leaning hybrid.

I started one(bag seed) in April but by the middle of may it wasn't doing well(zero growth) and put it in the tent(still there.) I think the extra moisture(monsoon) is helping, even with the last few days being drier; it doesn't seem to cause any extra stress like it did with the other plant, but: genetics. So all this crap is anecdotal.
Yeah, I am going to do mainly indoor and just throw them in the soil pots outside of the hydroponics tent with some cheap LED plant lamps on them and whatever comes, comes. It seems that the heat is not destroying yours so time out in the sun for them is something I am going to throw into their regimen and then just move them back inside by the air purifier and humidifier. Thanks for that, that helps.

fargonaz

fargonaz

This "5 gal bucket cooler" is a design I started with and I was getting 30+° drops in temperature from ambient. It is designed to be powered by a 6" high cfm fan (400+ cfm) attached to the duct work in the lid. Everything to build it came from lowes (or homedepot) and cost about $100. Note: The 120v fountain pump is the bigger one lowes sells, but any of them will work.
Sweet idea!
Right now I go out about 2 and spray the outside of the bag down, but all day cooling seems like it would definitely help.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

Sweet idea!
Right now I go out about 2 and spray the outside of the bag down, but all day cooling seems like it would definitely help.
It does. It also supplies airflow & humidity, which also helps massively.

If you have looked at the VPD charts (and info on Vapor Pressure Deficit/differential) , you can use these types of coolers to sustain ideal VPD levels in both indoor tents and greenhouses here.

The best part? They are cheapAF to run 24/7.

Latest posts

Top Bottom