Is my Afghani Kush burning up, or is this a deficiency?

• Thread starter Erik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Erik

Erik

This is Afghani Kush from seed. It's 40 days old. It's in FFOF in 7gal smart pot. Have it under 250w MH and around 160w of cfl's. Temperature gets to around 78-80 during the day, and 65-68 at night with lights off. I water it every 4-5 days. Feed with Earth Juice grow and catalyst every other watering. I let the nute solution bubble for 48 hours. The pH ends up at around 6.8 after 48 hours of bubbling. My runoff pH is right at 6.5. I am using very little amount of nutes. 1/2 tsp. of EJ grow and 1 1/2 tsp. of catalyst per gallon of water. I thought maybe nute lockout, so I flushed with botanicare clearex. It just keeps getting worse. Also have some clawing going on on the top growth

Here are some pics

Is my afghani kush burning up or is this a deficiency

Is my afghani kush burning up or is this a deficiency 2

Is my afghani kush burning up or is this a deficiency 3

F

fuzzy

Kinda looks like a little over fert and your PH may be a little high.peace,fuzzy

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Inadequate light causes the curl, along with unstable pH. Feed less and add more lighting. Trim for air circulation.

Erik

Erik

250w MH + 160w cfls is not enough for a single plant? And as far as pH being unstable, it always goes in at 6.8 and runoff always comes out at 6.5.

F

fuzzy

In soil, i try to keep ph around 5.9-6.0 and can go as high as 6.3 but any more than that i usually see some effects.Lights can cause the curling also.Right now i have 1 thats clawing from too much light.I have a cutting i just put in the flower room and the top on it is doing a little clawing.So too little and too much can cause it also. peace,fuzzy

Erik

Erik

I thought in soil a good pH range is 6.3 - 6.8? I've always gone by this chart
Chart

How would I go about bringing the pH down? Earth Juice suggests not to use pH adjusters with their nutes.

Erik

Erik

How is it starving and burning at the same time? I've been feeding it.

Scorpion

Scorpion

the roots are too wet ,it will not take up the nutrients (micro) so feed it with a normal grow solution as per directions and let the roots dry out from that point.
Also,try watering from the bottom and let plant suck up the water.
Indicas and Afghan land race types do not like wet roots at the surface area,these are air roots and need to stay dry,just like afghanstan.
,thats how
scorpion

Erik

Erik

I water when the soil is pretty much completely dry (4-5 days). I check by sticking my finger almost to the bottom of the pot. These smart pots are not that deep, so I'm able to shove my finger pretty much all the way to the bottom, and the soil will be dry at that level. The plant even starts to droop a little on day 5, so 4-5 days is all it takes for my soil to dry out.

I think tomorrow I'm gonna trim her up on the bottom and feed lightly. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and flush right before I feed though.

catdaddy

catdaddy

feed it its starving
i am not an expert but i would have to agree with Scorpion on this one. keeping it on the i, i too was experiencing the same problems displayed in your pics. i left my girls with someone for a month and when i got them back the first thing i thought was overfert, so instead of flushing the soil i leeched with 3 waterings and it did not make the problem any better.
a few days ago i seen a thread with similar problems and someone suggested that it was underfed and i said to myself could that be it? shortly after i made a solution high in k, diluted it to half of the total ppms (the mix was hig) and foliar fed. the next day they when the lights came on to my surprise they were looking a whole lot better. looking at the pic and remembering the thread i would say it's a micro problem, maybe cal, if anything else.
when i get the chance i will post thread i am referring to and maybe it can help you as well.

Erik

Erik

Just a thought...if it was underfed, wouldn't the leaves show some yellowing?

Also, could this possibly be stress from the fan? I noticed that the brown blotches are only on the leaves that are getting hit by the fan. As you can see in the third picture, the brown spots are on the left side of the plant and mostly on the top fan leaves, which are getting hit by the fan.

Erik

Erik

OK, so it's the end of day 4 since I last watered. The bottom fan leaves are starting to droop. So I think I can rule over watering out. I will flush tomorrow and give it a good dose of EJ Grow.

K

kushtrees

I havent done any soil grows in over year and that was out door. For soil 6.5 is a good ph, 6 is more for hydro. If the only damage is near the fan it could be a humidity issue. Too much air movement can cause low humidty spots, and that first pic sort of possibly maybe could be wind burn. Low humidty can cause Ca issues and the leaves can curl inwards to try and conserve moisture, If your doing organics its sort of difficult to burn the plants from what Ive seen.

id move the fan back and and make sure you humidty is around 60-70 for veg. the fact that only one area of the plant has issues makes me think its not a nutritional issue, nutrition problems are usually uniform around the whole plant, hope this helps.

Erik

Erik

Yea the humidity is low usually around 38% with fan on and around 56-60 when the fan is off at night. I'll have to rearrange a few things tomorrow so I can move the fan to another location. Thanks!

philly kush

philly kush

i agree with scorpion i had the same problem about a month ago i was feeding my girls 3xs a week but goin lite on the nute mix my boy at the shop told me 2 up the nutes ,within a a few days they were happy again. goodluck with the rest of your grow

K

kushtrees

wow 38 is super low. My guess is thats causing all ur issues, humidity is one of the most over looked variables, and also one of the most important, good humidity can be better than added co2. id say keep feeding how you usually do, maybe a good flush and then feed as normal, the rest of the plant looks green and healthy so its probably not related to nutrients.

if anything the leaf tips curling down are a sign of too much nutes, upping them may cause more problems.

back off the fan, hell you could even turn it off in veg, if you have 0 space and do what you do id bet youll see new healthy growth soon

growdamnit

growdamnit

overfed.. burnt nutes in its leaves..
dont be too zealous homes..
flush.. then raise the lights..

Top Bottom