Is my pollen not viable??

• Thread starter etous
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
etous

etous

Sorry guys, no pic.

I harvested pollen for the first time with CS, but kept failing to germinate second seed.
It has been a month since I harvest the pollen, and I finally got my second seed germinated.

So I checked the pollen, and here is the problem.
It was all mushed up together. So definitely moisture got in to it.
I could break it up easily, but heard pollen is vulnerable to moisture.

I only have 1 seed left, so I can't check if pollen is viable or not.

Should I retry to collect pollen? or give this mushed up pollen a shot??

cow_iam

cow_iam

Once moisture gets to the pollen its ruined. Pollen in open air is only good for a few days and in direct sunlight it can be hours.

I am no expert at all but I know someone with a PHD in plant pathology. If you don't flash freeze it within 2 weeks, it is most likely garbage. You can of course vacuum seal it in a jar and leave it in the fridge for up to 6-12 months. Best thing to do is mix it with flour right away, vacuum seal it and at least keep it on the cool side away from light.

Personally I just leave mine in a jar in the kitchen for a few weeks. Vacuum sealing for the fridge is a pain if I am going to use it within a month.

Basically use the pollen as fast as possible and keep away from moisture and light.

growsince79

growsince79

Once moisture gets to the pollen its ruined. Pollen in open air is only good for a few days and in direct sunlight it can be hours.

I am no expert at all but I know someone with a PHD in plant pathology. If you don't flash freeze it within 2 weeks, it is most likely garbage. You can of course vacuum seal it in a jar and leave it in the fridge for up to 6-12 months. Best thing to do is mix it with flour right away, vacuum seal it and at least keep it on the cool side away from light.

Personally I just leave mine in a jar in the kitchen for a few weeks. Vacuum sealing for the fridge is a pain if I am going to use it within a month.

Basically use the pollen as fast as possible and keep away from moisture and light.
I'm going on 2 years with the same frozen pollen.

growsince79

growsince79

What is flash freeze?

Latest posts

Top Bottom