• Start date
  • Tagged users None
charli3fox

charli3fox

First things first, here's a little bit of info about my current grow:

Seed Source: ILGM
Strains: x3 White Rhino, x3 Blueberry CBD
Medium: Coco Coir + Perlite
Nutrients: Blue Planet Farmers Pride Organic (Automated run to waste fertigation system) x2 daily = 1qt/plant/fert. (3gal/day total)
Lights: x2 Mars Hydro 300w TSL-2000
Containers: 10 gal fabric smartpots filled with approx. 7gal coco+perlite (they’re filled about 2/3 full, with the edges of the fabric pots folded down so the top of the pots are just about flush with the top of the substrate)
Technique: 6 to 8-way LST, ScrOG + Supercropping (i cropped between 4th and 5th node, but these plants went nuts and pumped out extra limbs, some even mutated unprompted twins at the ends of each branch)
Grow Area: 3.5ft x 6ft / 6plants = 3.5sqft per plant
Distance from substrate to lights: 27-28” (max)
Distance from substrate to screen: 8”
*I have very limited space. The only place I have available is in the corner of my tiny, low-ceiling basement, on top of a dining room table. hence the significantly diminished vertical space.

I veg'd for approx 5.5 weeks at 18/6
at this point they have been in 12/12 for a little less than 2 weeks.
I've trimmed everything below the screen and done a little light-handed defoliation to help increase airflow. I was getting wet spots all over my plants and battling with fluctuations in temp from 62-84F and RH from 65-85%. I was worried about mold, so I setup a ac/dehumidifier unit and now have the temp sitting comfortably from 65-75F and RH 39-55. no more wet spots. no signs of disease.

the buds are already forming beautifully and there are more bud sites than i can count, and here's the issue i'm having....
first of all, I have limited vertical space. At 2 weeks of stretch I'm pretty sure I'm about as tall as I can afford to get, the tallest bud sites are about 6-8" away from lights 😬 I've managed to keep these plants exceptionally short and bushy by any normal standards, but I'm concerned I'm going to run into my lights. So my first question is:
Does anyone have good techniques for haulting, stunting, or w/e the remaining early flower stretch? (I noticed while doing supercropping that the stems that got pinched tended to slow their vertical growth, so I've gone through and pinched all the tallest branches in hopes that will slow things down) if things get too close...I can maybe rehang lights to squeeze another couple inches in, but I'd rather not have to go through all that.

The major issue, and the reason for this thread: I've already run out of room in my screen, and I have SO MANY BUD SITES! and my branches and nodes are so close that my plants are very dense and bushy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm concerned that I'm going to wind up with a lot of covered bud sites that are going to be deprived of enough light to properly mature. There are so many mixed reviews out there about defoliating to expose bud sites I just dont know what to believe. I would experiment, but this is only my second grow and at this point the investment isn't worth compromising my crop for the sake of an experiment.
so, my question to all you pros out there, is my ScrOG too dense? should I be removing bud sites or leaves? is it perfect just the way it is?

I would appreciate some advice from the community.
and, hey, thanks for having me! I just joined today, but I've been reading these forums for years. it's nice to finally participate :)

Is my scrog too dense
Is my scrog too dense 2
Is my scrog too dense 3
Is my scrog too dense 4
Is my scrog too dense 5
Is my scrog too dense 6
Is my scrog too dense 7
Is my scrog too dense 8
ru knuts

ru knuts

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I believe my mistake was vegging to long. I flipped to 12/12 when my scrog was 60-70% full. I'm thinking I should have flipped when it was 50-60% full.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
First things first, here's a little bit of info about my current grow:

Seed Source: ILGM
Strains: x3 White Rhino, x3 Blueberry CBD
Medium: Coco Coir + Perlite
Nutrients: Blue Planet Farmers Pride Organic (Automated run to waste fertigation system) x2 daily = 1qt/plant/fert. (3gal/day total)
Lights: x2 Mars Hydro 300w TSL-2000
Containers: 10 gal fabric smartpots filled with approx. 7gal coco+perlite (they’re filled about 2/3 full, with the edges of the fabric pots folded down so the top of the pots are just about flush with the top of the substrate)
Technique: 6 to 8-way LST, ScrOG + Supercropping (i cropped between 4th and 5th node, but these plants went nuts and pumped out extra limbs, some even mutated unprompted twins at the ends of each branch)
Grow Area: 3.5ft x 6ft / 6plants = 3.5sqft per plant
Distance from substrate to lights: 27-28” (max)
Distance from substrate to screen: 8”
*I have very limited space. The only place I have available is in the corner of my tiny, low-ceiling basement, on top of a dining room table. hence the significantly diminished vertical space.

I veg'd for approx 5.5 weeks at 18/6
at this point they have been in 12/12 for a little less than 2 weeks.
I've trimmed everything below the screen and done a little light-handed defoliation to help increase airflow. I was getting wet spots all over my plants and battling with fluctuations in temp from 62-84F and RH from 65-85%. I was worried about mold, so I setup a ac/dehumidifier unit and now have the temp sitting comfortably from 65-75F and RH 39-55. no more wet spots. no signs of disease.

the buds are already forming beautifully and there are more bud sites than i can count, and here's the issue i'm having....
first of all, I have limited vertical space. At 2 weeks of stretch I'm pretty sure I'm about as tall as I can afford to get, the tallest bud sites are about 6-8" away from lights 😬 I've managed to keep these plants exceptionally short and bushy by any normal standards, but I'm concerned I'm going to run into my lights. So my first question is:
Does anyone have good techniques for haulting, stunting, or w/e the remaining early flower stretch? (I noticed while doing supercropping that the stems that got pinched tended to slow their vertical growth, so I've gone through and pinched all the tallest branches in hopes that will slow things down) if things get too close...I can maybe rehang lights to squeeze another couple inches in, but I'd rather not have to go through all that.

The major issue, and the reason for this thread: I've already run out of room in my screen, and I have SO MANY BUD SITES! and my branches and nodes are so close that my plants are very dense and bushy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm concerned that I'm going to wind up with a lot of covered bud sites that are going to be deprived of enough light to properly mature. There are so many mixed reviews out there about defoliating to expose bud sites I just dont know what to believe. I would experiment, but this is only my second grow and at this point the investment isn't worth compromising my crop for the sake of an experiment.
so, my question to all you pros out there, is my ScrOG too dense? should I be removing bud sites or leaves? is it perfect just the way it is?

I would appreciate some advice from the community.
and, hey, thanks for having me! I just joined today, but I've been reading these forums for years. it's nice to finally participate :)
24-36 hours of complete darkness before the switch to 12/12 pretty much stops the stretch and gets the plant to flower quicker.
i’ve posted the science behind it before.

Anthem

Anthem

Wow you have a really dense canopy. I sure hope you have some dehumidification and fans going in the tent. Would hate to see PM show up with all the great work you have done.
You can try MOAB to stop the stretch. I have used it, but the results tend to also include pulling all of the nutrients out of the lower leaf's and bring it to the bud sites. Also you can use decision by Millinium but I have no experience with that product. Either way there is a trade off for using the products.

charli3fox

charli3fox

24-36 hours of complete darkness before the switch to 12/12 pretty much stops the stretch and gets the plant to flower quicker.
I was unaware, next time I will be sure to implement that strategy...but it's a bit late now, isn't it? do you think that doing the same thing at this point (2 weeks into 12/12) would have a similar effect? or am I on the hunt for alternative solutions? thanks for your help!

Anthem

Anthem

Can you post the science on this thread. I only ask because I do 36 hours of darkness and the plants still stretch the same as if I just changed from 18/6 to 12/12.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I was unaware, next time I will be sure to implement that strategy...but it's a bit late now, isn't it? do you think that doing the same thing at this point (2 weeks into 12/12) would have a similar effect? or am I on the hunt for alternative solutions? thanks for your help!
ya it’s too late, now is the time to create as less stress as possible.
time to get creative.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Can you post the science on this thread. I only ask because I do 36 hours of darkness and the plants still stretch the same as if I just changed from 18/6 to 12/12.
ok i will.
could be a strain thing, mine barely stretch.

charli3fox

charli3fox

Wow you have a really dense canopy. I sure hope you have some dehumidification and fans going in the tent. Would hate to see PM show up with all the great work you have done.
You can try MOAB to stop the stretch. I have used it, but the results tend to also include pulling all of the nutrients out of the lower leaf's and bring it to the bud sites. Also you can use decision by Millinium but I have no experience with that product. Either way there is a trade off for using the products.
hmm. I'm unfamiliar with any of those products, I'll have to do a little research.
and yes, I do have some serious dehumidifier running and fans going right now. it's actually not in a tent, i built a frame and hung reflective 'drapes' around it. I have 4 stationary fans, 2 above, 2 below, and an oscillating tower fan at the end and side. RH is sitting pretty consistently between 50-40% and temp 65-75F (lights off vs lights on). there doesn't seem to be any signs of excess moisture, and def no signs of PM.
thank you for your input! I'll be sure to check out MOAB and Decision by Millenium

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I have done this with at least 15 strains and the results are all similar. What strain did you have luck with doing the darkness for 36 hours?
it probably easier to go to my profile and hit the arrow drop down menu and look at my posts. it’s there.
think you may have read it already.

Anthem

Anthem

hmm. I'm unfamiliar with any of those products, I'll have to do a little research.
and yes, I do have some serious dehumidifier running and fans going right now. it's actually not in a tent, i built a frame and hung reflective 'drapes' around it. I have 4 stationary fans, 2 above, 2 below, and an oscillating tower fan at the end and side. RH is sitting pretty consistently between 50-40% and temp 65-75F (lights off vs lights on). there doesn't seem to be any signs of excess moisture, and def no signs of PM.
thank you for your input! I'll be sure to check out MOAB and Decision by Millenium
Be careful if you use the MOAB, the stuff is like rocket fuel. I want to say something like 0-52-32. I really do not care for the stuff, it is just too hot IMO. Also you can use MOAB for a finish to get one last push of growth.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
it probably easier to go to my profile and hit the arrow drop down menu and look at my posts. it’s there.
think you may have read it already.
gelatos, got some flowering now at 23 or 24 days, i topped them, tied them down daily during veg.

Anthem

Anthem

gelatos, got some flowering now at 23 or 24 days, i topped them, tied them down daily during veg.
That makes a little more sense. Gelatos lean hard towards indica. The indica's do not stretch as much as a 50/50 plant

Top Bottom