Is my soil okay for a complete grow seed to harvest?

• Thread starter Samboboi1992
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Samboboi1992

Hi,
I am wondering is my soil rich enough in nutrients to a do a full grow seed to harvest? I'm hoping to 3 oz of dry product. Pot size is about 2 gallon. And the soil has all been picked up from my yard around the tree where all the mower clippings go. So I just dug down 50mm or so and it looked as though to be nutrient rich soil. But is it good enough? Will it drain properly? Etc

mancorn

mancorn

Hi,
I am wondering is my soil rich enough in nutrients to a do a full grow seed to harvest? I'm hoping to 3 oz of dry product. Pot size is about 2 gallon. And the soil has all been picked up from my yard around the tree where all the mower clippings go. So I just dug down 50mm or so and it looked as though to be nutrient rich soil. But is it good enough? Will it drain properly? Etc
Way to many variables to give you a good answer. If by “mower clippings” do you mean green yard grass or do you mean natural brush. The former would be high in nitrogen, but would in itself not make a decent compost, whereas the later would. But compost isn’t high in nutrients and cannabis is a heavy feeder. That said, the richest soils in the world come from old growth forest, which is just dead plant material piling up, so if the soil looks dark and smells good you’d have a good base. But by moving into a pot you’ve reduced your soil food web (the natural process that provides nutrients to plants) and would recommend that you add a balanced organic fertilizer blend to your soil before potting.

S

Samboboi1992

Way to many variables to give you a good answer. If by “mower clippings” do you mean green yard grass or do you mean natural brush. The former would be high in nitrogen, but would in itself not make a decent compost, whereas the later would. But compost isn’t high in nutrients and cannabis is a heavy feeder. That said, the richest soils in the world come from old growth forest, which is just dead plant material piling up, so if the soil looks dark and smells good you’d have a good base. But by moving into a pot you’ve reduced your soil food web (the natural process that provides nutrients to plants) and would recommend that you add a balanced organic fertilizer blend to your soil before potting.
Thanks mate, yeh it's mainly mower clippings. When I dig down it look really rich but yeh just wasn't sure if it would be any good. My mate has at his house some Sandy soil that he says is good for growing anything so I mixed Abit of that in with it. Now it seems to drain better. Hopefully my chocolope lovelys will enjoy it. Also what is the best water source for growing in soil? My mate has rain water is that better than de-chlorinated tap water pH adjusted to 6.8?

mancorn

mancorn

Thanks mate, yeh it's mainly mower clippings. When I dig down it look really rich but yeh just wasn't sure if it would be any good. My mate has at his house some Sandy soil that he says is good for growing anything so I mixed Abit of that in with it. Now it seems to drain better. Hopefully my chocolope lovelys will enjoy it. Also what is the best water source for growing in soil? My mate has rain water is that better than de-chlorinated tap water pH adjusted to 6.8?
I wouldn’t stress either way on the water, as once again there’s a ton of variables. Rain water always seems better, but if you’re collecting off a old tar roof, or plastic, or storing in some funky bladder or barrel, you’re probabaly sucking up nasty shit. But if you have clean reliable source, no reason not to use it. (Most garden hoses are full of lead and why it’s a good idea to use the hoses (RV, boat) made for drinking.) Nor would I worry to much about the pH adjust in soil (which is primarily only a concern in soilless growing). Sounds like you have a small grow, so not a big deal time wise and if it makes you happy pH away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom