Is something munching on my plant?

• Thread starter Bib4tuna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I started so plants in some soil. It's in my garage but technically still exposed to outdoor conditions due to my garage not being well insulated or sealed off from the outside. Out of 4 plants none have showed any signs of pests until today. I just transplanted this plant last night & today leaf looked like this. Is this a pest or something else?

Is something munching on my plant
Is something munching on my plant 2
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Wow, never seen that one before, looks like maybe grasshoppers or something big. Check under the leaves for eggs. I don't think that can be anything but chewed up, so it must be a fairly large size insect.

I use something called "bug eviction" for generally around the house here (I've got a cat so organic is a must) But for general spraying of surfaces, it's really great, I spray walls, floor, anything and gives a strong garlic smell, but also has essential oils. It won't "kill" the bugs, but it drives them away, and it seem to work on a wide variety of pest.

The nice thing I like about this product, is that it's cheap, and it makes lot's of product, so excellent for "everyday" spraying of big areas, I even spray my kitchen areas with it, because it's that safe.

Intentionally designed to send insects onto some other garden or lawn- anywhere but yours! CONTROLS: Ants, Aphids, bedbugs, carpet beetles, carpenter ants, centipedes, clover mites, cockroaches, crickets, earwigs, elm leaf beetles, gnats, fire ants, fleas, millipedes, mosquitoes, pillbugs, scorpions, silverfish, spiders, ticks, thrips & other insects. Doesn't kill 'em, just evicts them!

Last edited:
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Wow, never seen that one before, looks like maybe grasshoppers or something big. Check under the leaves for eggs. I don't think that can be anything but chewed up, so it must be a fairly large size insect.

I use something called "bug eviction" for generally around the house here (I've got a cat so organic is a must) But for general spraying of surfaces, it's really great, I spray walls, floor, anything and gives a strong garlic smell, but also has essential oils. It won't "kill" the bugs, but it drives them away, and it seem to work on a wide variety of pest.

The nice thing I like about this product, is that it's cheap, and it makes lot's of product, so excellent for "everyday" spraying of big areas, I even spray my kitchen areas with it, because it's that safe.

Intentionally designed to send insects onto some other garden or lawn- anywhere but yours! CONTROLS: Ants, Aphids, bedbugs, carpet beetles, carpenter ants, centipedes, clover mites, cockroaches, crickets, earwigs, elm leaf beetles, gnats, fire ants, fleas, millipedes, mosquitoes, pillbugs, scorpions, silverfish, spiders, ticks, thrips & other insects. Doesn't kill 'em, just evicts them!

Thx,I'll definitely try that because I have a bunch of cats which are indoor/outdoor cats & have had a time where one if them actually destroyed my plant so I think some cats are drawn to the plants. I was thinking same thing tho,maybe something big cuz early morning at 1 am plant was fine then checked at noon & leaf was eaten up that much! I saw what looked similar to a lady bug but different color on plant when I found like that. Not sure if they like cannabis or not.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Thx,I'll definitely try that because I have a bunch of cats which are indoor/outdoor cats & have had a time where one if them actually destroyed my plant so I think some cats are drawn to the plants. I was thinking same thing tho,maybe something big cuz early morning at 1 am plant was fine then checked at noon & leaf was eaten up that much! I saw what looked similar to a lady bug but different color on plant when I found like that. Not sure if they like cannabis or not.

They are most definitely drawn to the plants, yes.

My cat eats pot plants. He usually only eats a bottom leaf here or there, I think it's about digestion, as most all animals do it, especially cats. like catnip.

That said, I've got to keep him away from seedlings, because he's munched entire plant tops before, and that's not cool if it's an important plant. I don't mind him eating off them once there a month or so along, he eats so little, and I tend to trim those leaves anyhow.

That's why I keep all seedlings elevated and out of reach. He's lazy and going to take the easy pickings.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

They are most definitely drawn to the plants, yes.

My cat eats pot plants. He usually only eats a bottom leaf here or there, I think it's about digestion, as most all animals do it, especially cats. like catnip.

That said, I've got to keep him away from seedlings, because he's munched entire plant tops before, and that's not cool if it's an important plant. I don't mind him eating off them once there a month or so along, he eats so little, and I tend to trim those leaves anyhow.

That's why I keep all seedlings elevated and out of reach. He's lazy and going to take the easy pickings.
Yeah,but that cat ate my dj short blueberry plant & those were probably most expensive seeds I'd ever bought. It was such beautiful plant so I was a lil pissed,lol. But that actually looked just like the Beetle id
seen. I think that's he's culprit!

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Yeah,but that cat ate my dj short blueberry plant & those were probably most expensive seeds I'd ever bought so I was a lil pissed,lol. But that actually looked just like the Beetle I seen. I think that's he's culprit!

Yeah those things leave big holes, at least they are easy to catch and squish.

Tkroots619

Tkroots619

Caterpillars. For sure. I have had that issue. Found a bunch during harvest and trimming

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yeah,I just smashed him 10 mins ago,lol. Normally I'm animal lover even insect " dont bother them if they dont bother me" but he had to go. Funny as soon as I went out to water that same beetle was on one of my plants. Definitely who's been eating my plants!
LOL, I knew he would be big, you could have taken him outside, sometime I just throw little guys like that off my porch. I just spent about $100 on predators, since I've got a little mite issue ongoing.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Caterpillars. For sure. I have had that issue. Found a bunch during harvest and trimming
Yeah,I've had my share of caterpillars too. Being in garage they're not getting too much attention from bugs but still quite a few. I've been lucky up till wk 3 that I havent
LOL, I knew he would be big, you could have taken him outside, sometime I just throw little guys like that off my porch. I just spent about $100 on predators, since I've got a little mite issue ongoing.
True,I was kinda buzzed,lol. I thought about it but didn’t know if he’d make his way back if I tossed him out. I do the same thing with most bugs tho,just toss em on porch. My girl gets pissed cuz she’s a baby about bugs,lol. Hopefully my plants will be safe til I can get that natural stuff u we’re talking bout. I’ve used Sevin dust on plants on outdoor plants in past but heard it’s not good also I have a lot of pets as u mentioned earlier.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yeah,I've had my share of caterpillars too. Being in garage they're not getting too much attention from bugs but still quite a few. I've been lucky up till wk 3 that I havent

True,I was kinda buzzed,lol. I thought about it but didn’t know if he’d make his way back if I tossed him out. I do the same thing with most bugs tho,just toss em on porch. My girl gets pissed cuz she’s a baby about bugs,lol. Hopefully my plants will be safe til I can get that natural stuff u we’re talking bout. I’ve used Sevin dust on plants on outdoor plants in past but heard it’s not good also I have a lot of pets as u mentioned earlier.

Yea, I've used a number of things, I use a lot of Dr Bonners soap, and things like azamax when it's bad, or mightywash during flower, but I think the predators are the best means against mites. I don't like residues, at all.

If all you have to deal with is the occasional beatels or thrips consider yourself lucky. The borg are relentless and make the weak at heart consider giving up growing canabis. I've seen it utterly defeat growers, I've seen them make people actually move to another grow site (phycially move locations) or flee a place, because they cannot deal with it, nor defeat it.

Or shut an operation down for 3 to 6 months, to get it back under control.

Last edited:
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Yea, I've used a number of things, I use a lot of Dr Bonners soap, and things like azamax when it's bad, or mightywash during flower, but I think the predators are the best means against mites. I don't like residues, at all.

If all you have to deal with is the occasional beatels or thrips consider yourself lucky. The borg are relentless and make the weak at heart consider giving up growing canabis. I've seen it utterly defeat growers, I've seen them make people actually move to another grow site (phycially move locations) or flee a place, because they cannot deal with it, nor defeat it.

Yeah,sounds like a nightmare. Being that mine are in garage so not directly outdoor I'm hoping pest problems shouldnt be too bad. I've always grown outdoor so I've had plenty problems with spider mites,beetles,ect...

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

So...Today I'm finding black winged aphids on plants now. No signs of eaten leaves or that yet except the leaf I mentioned other day. Infestation isn't bad yet I dont think as I only see like 2 or 3. Any tips to control greatly appreciated!

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

So...Today I'm finding black winged aphids on plants now. No signs of eaten leaves or that yet except the leaf I mentioned other day. Infestation isn't bad yet I dont think as I only see like 2 or 3. Any tips to control greatly appreciated!
Picked the aphids off with tweezers & haven't been back. Its been 2 days so I think that did the trick!

Latest posts

Top Bottom