Is taking clones from a weaker plant a bad idea.

• Thread starter Vb2flat2surf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

Im about to turn directions and start learning to clone. I have successfully done one by complete accident. but never it got it to flower.
I have 2 current tents going, and 3 plants that frankly are just taking space to be frank.
I originally started with 6 autos ( Northern Lights, Poison Berry, Lambs Breath, Cookie Monster, Blueberry) in one tent, and 5 photos in another ( 3 grandaddy purp and 2 super lemon haze. 2 weeks into my grow i decided to try an expiriment and see if i could take 2 well established plants in soil and convert it to Hydro. Shook the roots, cut the root ball, sprinkled root starter, and put them in DWC. Suprisingly, they took and took WELL.
most of My autos only have about 2 weeks and I wanted to continue the run with the 3 photos left (2 grandaddy purp and 1 super lemon haze).
For the purpose of expirmenting and lerening to clone, is it a bad idea to try and take clones from weaker plants or are they revivable.
Wondering why i would do this? i Need to kill time because I have a Runtz in germination that im putting into hydro after it roots un a pod, in addition to all of the remaining plants. So in a sense i want them a little delayed to give Runtz some veg time.
I pray this makes sense.
Basic question, is it a bad idea to take clones from a weaker plant or are they revivavble and be a good idead to give me a good 2 or 3 weeks for my runtz hydro to catch up once its available.
Really hoping to get some help

Is taking clones from a weaker plant a bad idea
Is taking clones from a weaker plant a bad idea 2
Is taking clones from a weaker plant a bad idea 3
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Im about to turn directions and start learning to clone. I have successfully done one by complete accident. but never it got it to flower.
I have 2 current tents going, and 3 plants that frankly are just taking space to be frank.
I originally started with 6 autos ( Northern Lights, Poison Berry, Lambs Breath, Cookie Monster, Blueberry) in one tent, and 5 photos in another ( 3 grandaddy purp and 2 super lemon haze. 2 weeks into my grow i decided to try an expiriment and see if i could take 2 well established plants in soil and convert it to Hydro. Shook the roots, cut the root ball, sprinkled root starter, and put them in DWC. Suprisingly, they took and took WELL.
most of My autos only have about 2 weeks and I wanted to continue the run with the 3 photos left (2 grandaddy purp and 1 super lemon haze).
For the purpose of expirmenting and lerening to clone, is it a bad idea to try and take clones from weaker plants or are they revivable.
Wondering why i would do this? i Need to kill time because I have a Runtz in germination that im putting into hydro after it roots un a pod, in addition to all of the remaining plants. So in a sense i want them a little delayed to give Runtz some veg time.
I pray this makes sense.
Basic question, is it a bad idea to take clones from a weaker plant or are they revivavble and be a good idead to give me a good 2 or 3 weeks for my runtz hydro to catch up once its available.
Really hoping to get some help
I'm not the best cloner but I've been having the best success by just dipping my cuts in Clonex and sticking them in the dirt. Nothing fancy just cut at a 45* scrape the bark off dip in Clonex and plant keep them humid and spray daily. 10 out of 10....

Of course you'd like the biggest and best but to learn how to clone just do it and see what you get....I've turned some weak assed plants into great flowering girls

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You will have better chances of success when the mother plant is healthy, but it can be done with less-than-healthy mothers, and sometimes it has to be done that way, because the mother plant might not revive enough to be considered healthy.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

@PipeCarver just has a big o green thumb! A lot of my opinion would center on what you mean by weak. As for me, never. The clone is a carbon copy of its Mother, and I keep only the best.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
@PipeCarver just has a big o green thumb! A lot of my opinion would center on what you mean by weak. As for me, never. The clone is a carbon copy of its Mother, and I keep only the best.
If you'd seen some of my clones you'd have thought NFW but they live....Its a weed and hard to kill. You never want to take unhealthy clones with hanging leaves but with a little TLC they'll survive , as long as you don't let them dry out.

If its a strain you like and want to keep great it'll probably grow out of its funk, but if its something you're unsure of and it could be a dog then why bother?

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

If you'd seen some of my clones you'd have thought NFW but they live....Its a weed and hard to kill. You never want to take unhealthy clones with hanging leaves but with a little TLC they'll survive , as long as you don't let them dry out.

If its a strain you like and want to keep great it'll probably grow out of its funk, but if its something you're unsure of and it could be a dog then why bother?
I used to use your phrase about it being a weed, hard to kill etc. Then I started teaching classes and seeing what ppl could do. I don’t use that phrase anymore!
I fully get what you are saying tho. 🙂

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

They are definetly strains i love. Ill get tye bud that i need from my hydros. This would be more for an expiriment and to kill some time honestly. I also dont want to waste my time if they arent worth working with. I can easily transplant them and revive them all day long, but wouldnt mind dabbl8ng with clones while i have enough plants going and our outdoor autos are plentiful

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I used to use your phrase about it being a weed, hard to kill etc. Then I started teaching classes and seeing what ppl could do. I don’t use that phrase anymore!
I fully get what you are saying tho. 🙂
I guess it should be they're hard to kill unless you're trying to kill them. Put em outside at -10 for a couple of days.. feed them Borax and water with Turpentine sure there are ways to kill them or snap their necks when they piss you off ( I have anger issues) but weeds have a habit of coming back if you let them.

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

Well I kind of answered my own questions on ehat weed can tolerate. 2 weeks ago i took 2 of the plants oit of soil, shook them like the had murderedmy family to get the dirt of, rinsed in cold as water, cut the root ball and put them in a DWC to see what would happen. i officialy have the biggest hydros I have.
Regarding initial question I asked in post, I just decided to transplant and keep them going inside. I have a packed tent for now but autos will be coming out one by one around 2 weeks from now.
Thinking ill start some clones from the healthy hydros if anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom