Is THC to CBN a home brew possibility?

• Thread starter zosos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
zosos

zosos

HI,
I have a clean extract of Hawaiian Haze, and am wondering if The THC (about 3%) can be converted to CBN. I have read quite a bit about this and have come to no real conclusions.

Been vaping as is, which is Awesome BTW.

But others want it without THC.

Hemp oil

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

Yes ofcause, cannabinol (CBN) is the nonenzymatic oxidation byproduct of THC and is most commonly an artifact found after prolonged storage, Its also the only chemical in our plants responsible for aiding sleep, There are two methods to do this, prolong the storage of your bud or you can decarboxylate your bud for longer and at slightly lower temps, 60-65c (140 - 149 F) over a period of 1-2 hours, your thc will be converted into CBN, in you case you want to decarboxylate your extract, the exact 3% you trying to achieve will only be able to be done by testing the % amounts of CBN within the extract as you decarboxylate

Last edited:
zosos

zosos

Yes ofcause, cannabinol (CBN) is the nonenzymatic oxidation byproduct of THC and is most commonly an artifact found after prolonged storage, Its also the only chemical in our plants responsible for aiding sleep, There are two methods to do this, prolong the storage of your bud or you can decarboxylate your bud for longer and at slightly lower temps, 60-65c (140 - 149 F) over a period of 1-2 hours, your thc will be converted into CBN, in you case you want to decarboxylate your extract, the exact 3% you trying to achieve will only be able to be done by testing the % amounts of CBN within the extract as you decarboxylate

Thank you for the reply,

The goal is to go from 3% to zero THC.... or less :)

so..... with heat (145Ā°Ā±), and enough time, all of the THC theoretically will convert? Is it that simple?

Does it need to be @ reduced pressure (vacuum)?
Will it work under high pressure (500 psi)?

my simple mind

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

Thank you for the reply,

The goal is to go from 3% to zero THC.... or less :)

so..... with heat (145Ā°Ā±), and enough time, all of the THC theoretically will convert? Is it that simple?

Does it need to be @ reduced pressure (vacuum)?
Will it work under high pressure (500 psi)?

my simple mind

Use an oven at about 230 - 240 F for about 1-2 hours, that's should be enough. The goal is to bake the extract / bud slowly. Too much heat for prolonged time will burn it and most times give it a crispy / burnt taste, you don't want that. All or most of your thc should be converted to CBN. I would also recommend converting THC to CBN by baking / carboxylating the buds before extraction

Last edited:
RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Hemp farmers are just as lost as weed farmers.

Go back to school and don't cheat this time ya cheater

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Lance Griffin from Extraction Magazine writes:ā€œThe most common and obvious strategy beyond natural aging is to apply heat. According to Wang et al, ā€œĪ”-9-THC itself readily oxidizes to cannabinol (CBN) with oxygen and light during the decarboxylation process.ā€ A different study published in 2005 found that this oxidation occurred above 150Ā° C (302Ā° F) given a 15-minute decarboxylation period. The typical decarb process employs lower temperatures and longer times to avoid this conversion and preserve Ī”-9-THC; amping up the temperature may thus prove useful for CBN seekers. However, using a vacuum oven mitigates this conversion.ā€ Read the rest of Lance Griffinā€™s article here.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
The other strategy for converting THC into CBN is the use of UV light as an alternative to heat. As mentioned previously, light degrades cannabis and hemp, facilitating a natural conversion of THC into CBN.
Howeverā€”and hereā€™s the catchā€”to extract CBN at a large scale in a lab setting, neither UV light nor heat is used to convert THC to CBN for the purposes of isolation. Typically, it is a much more complicated and well-guarded proprietary SOP involving refluxing the THC, dissolved in specific solvents, and usually in the presence of precious metal catalysts.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Hope that helps.
Very interesting the medicinal possibilities from Cbn.

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

The other strategy for converting THC into CBN is the use of UV light as an alternative to heat. As mentioned previously, light degrades cannabis and hemp, facilitating a natural conversion of THC into CBN.
Howeverā€”and hereā€™s the catchā€”to extract CBN at a large scale in a lab setting, neither UV light nor heat is used to convert THC to CBN for the purposes of isolation. Typically, it is a much more complicated and well-guarded proprietary SOP involving refluxing the THC, dissolved in specific solvents, and usually in the presence of precious metal catalysts.
The UV light sounds interesting might even try it myself

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
The UV light sounds interesting might even try it myself
Makes me think of the Morrocan hash high in Cbn.
Traditionally the plants were dried on rooftops in the sun, that may explain the high level of Cbn.

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

Makes me think of the Morrocan hash high in Cbn.
Traditionally the plants were dried on rooftops in the sun, that may explain the high level of Cbn.
Same way alot of the stuff is dried here and sold, cheap sleepy stuff not worth the smoke

zosos

zosos

so... not so simple I guess, I would like to keep the extract intact.
I will try heating as prescribed, and look for testing methods to reveal the results.
I'll let y'all know...

Thanks! :)
Zosos

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

I have some low grade bud that has been stored for 2-3 years, was thinking about making it into bubble hash, would it be high in CBN?
It would be great if it did

zosos

zosos

Well.... Finally got around to testing heated vs original.... performed thin layer chromatography on samples.... THC levels went up... So...???
:)

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
that would seem impossible, lol. so, how much did they go up? can you repeat the test? the whole thing - heating and testing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom