Is the bubblegum scent unique to bubblegum strains?

• Thread starter CheebaMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CheebaMonkey

When I first decided to start growing years ago I browsed the seed banks feeling like a kid in a candy shop. So it was no surprise that I settled on a bubblegum strain from BOG seeds, which was promised to smell like grape bubblegum. Which in fact it did, or at least some plants did.

But then I went on to try other strains and I was yet again greeted by that fruity bubblegum aroma. Over and over again, same scent. I tried AK47, Hindu Kush, and Strawberry cough. At some point during the plants life cycle I would smell that same exact fruity smell.

So am I just not keen enough to recognize the subtle differences? Don't get me wrong I've grown plants with their own unique scent. I'm just saying that the smell I got from the bubblegum strain was the same smell from different strains. It leads me to wonder if nutrients and grow room setup are more of an influence on scent than I originally thought.

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Not necessarily brother...... The genes and the genetic combination thereof, that are responsible for bubble gum like terpines and terpenoids are not always found exclusively in Bubble Gum strains. Considering the Original Logan County Bubble Gum clone is reputed to be bred from Big Bud,skunk, and NL5 you can see what I mean. The particular unknown(barring extensive Genetic testing) genes within the genome of the poly-hybrid Bubble Gum clone, that gives BG it's namesake flavor; are also contained within the genome of the land races used to breed the p1 stock,(as well as the P1 stock) that was used to breed the Bubble Gum. It's these traces of shared genetic ancestry in certain strains and hybrids, that sometimes combine ("properly") to pass on genes that express the same or similar terpines and turpenoids responsible for the BG aroma in other cannabis varietals. This is at the very most an elementary explanation of something far greater in complexity than I am able to convey.
Take care brother!!!!!!

B

been

Who'd have thought, Bubblegum smells like it's ancestors. :rofl

I've got AK in my flower room and it smells like Bubblegum for a few hours a day.

S

slowlywebleed

Very interesting Mizz, i agree with U .
But nutients, do it have a taste impact?

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Nutrients and all other environmental factors certainly play a major role in the final outcome of the flavors, colors, aromas, and overall appearance of your nugs. It's kind of another facet of the whole nature vs. nurture thing...... The genetic predisposition of a particular Genotype + the influence of environmental factors, and the interplay between the two equal the phenotypical expression of said genotype.

"Who'd have thought, Bubblegum smells like it's ancestors."
"I've got AK in my flower room and it smells like Bubblegum for a few hours a day."

Well, it's a tad bit more complex in nature than that been, as BG may or may not be like any/or all of its individual ancestors; since it takes the right genes and/or combination thereof to equal a particular expression such as the BG aroma. The pieces of this genetic "puzzle", sometimes merge serendipitously in certain other cannabis varietals (with a common/or parallel ancestry to BG ) which can allow for the expression of BG turpine and turpenoid traits in vastly different(yet distantly related) cannabis cultivars.

F

farmerjohn

Smoked some Bubblegum that a friend grew last weekend. 1 gram glass bowl with shotgunner. Were headed to the movies but after 3 hits decided on the Mexican place 1/2 mile away for fajitas & DosXX. Bud was 3x3 cm. dayglow green with red & brown hairs. Sweet, musky smell & taste. Instant "cough & get off" on 1st greedy hit. 2 more brought on couchlock effects which lasted 30 minutes. Nice cerebral "up" high after that lasting 1 1/2 hrs.

C

CanadianClassic

I just got a "Bubbleicious" mother plant growing now will be some time before clones are in Flower but ill keep you posted on the final product.

Goodluck with the ladies!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom