Is the vapor from a sulphur burner toxic?

• Thread starter DazedNconfussed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DazedNconfussed

Hey guys, I just started burning some sulphur in my grow room which is in my basement. I noticed after 10 minutes the smell f burnt matches has traveled upp into my house...not super strong but yu can smell the burnt match smell a little bit.

Is the sulphor vapor toxic? Do I need to seal my grow room up better before burning the sulphur?

Anyadvice would be great.

E

ent

not sure if it is toxic or not but you should definitely avoid inhaling the vapor / fumes.

D

DazedNconfussed

well I had the burner above my plants and i just moved it underneath the plants on the floor instead.....wanted to burn for an hour but its not worth it if im letting toxic fumes in my house.....

E

ent

i've read you will want to keep it a couple feet above the plants. are you using this as a proactive measure or are you currently fighting a pathogen/pest?

you're going to want to avoid oils if you ran the burner.

D

DazedNconfussed

yeah i have white powder on alot of my plants....thought it was jut dust at first then was told after posting pics here it was "PM"....so I planned to burn for 1 hour every 3 days...im 26 dys into flower and just starting to get nice little buds so i want it gone asap.....I had the burner above the plants for 30 minutes, and will run it below them for the next 30 unless someone tells me its ok if you can sell a little of that burnt match in the house....

D

DazedNconfussed

hey bro
seal that room up better!

yeah, thas what i thought....hell it has panda plastic on 90% of the ceiling then R-19 instalation... geuss ill have to work on sealing it up with another layer of panda tonight.....

forknowledge

forknowledge

yeah i have white powder on alot of my plants....thought it was jut dust at first then was told after posting pics here it was "PM"....so I planned to burn for 1 hour every 3 days...im 26 dys into flower and just starting to get nice little buds so i want it gone asap.....I had the burner above the plants for 30 minutes, and will run it below them for the next 30 unless someone tells me its ok if you can sell a little of that burnt match in the house....

Whats "PM"? Ive read that term all over the place.

C

CAPO

Something you never want to see, bro!
It's a type of mildew from teeny-tiny spores, that once it contacts the leaves it imbeds itself. Then produces a white powder mildew, usually in the form of little circles on the tops of leaves. It is a pain to get rid of.

convex

convex

If it KILLS mildew then you know it can't be good for you ;)

Cheers

E

ent

well it changes the ph level on all the surfaces it touches, making a hostile environment for pathogens. when it burns i believe it's sulfur dioxide. which is like rotten eggs. if i'm not mistaken. i don't think it is toxic, actually i believe it is all natural. however, i do not believe that makes it safe.

from the EPA:

http://www.epa.gov/air/sulfurdioxide/health.html

Current scientific evidence links short-term exposures to SO2, ranging from 5 minutes to 24 hours, with an array of adverse respiratory effects including bronchoconstriction and increased asthma symptoms. These effects are particularly important for asthmatics at elevated ventilation rates (e.g., while exercising or playing.)

Studies also show a connection between short-term exposure and increased visits to emergency departments and hospital admissions for respiratory illnesses, particularly in at-risk populations including children, the elderly, and asthmatics.

EPA’s National Ambient Air Quality Standard for SO2 is designed to protect against exposure to the entire group of sulfur oxides (SOx). SO2 is the component of greatest concern and is used as the indicator for the larger group of gaseous sulfur oxides (SOx). Other gaseous sulfur oxides (e.g. SO3) are found in the atmosphere at concentrations much lower than SO2.

Emissions that lead to high concentrations of SO2 generally also lead to the formation of other SOx. Control measures that reduce SO2 can generally be expected to reduce people’s exposures to all gaseous SOx. This may have the important co-benefit of reducing the formation of fine sulfate particles, which pose significant public health threats.

SOx can react with other compounds in the atmosphere to form small particles. These particles penetrate deeply into sensitive parts of the lungs and can cause or worsen respiratory disease, such as emphysema and bronchitis, and can aggravate existing heart disease, leading to increased hospital admissions and premature death. EPA’s NAAQS for particulate matter (PM) are designed to provide protection against these health effects.

D

DazedNconfussed

THANKS FOR THE READ ENT...i am just curious, do any of you other sulphur burner users not get the smell outside there grow room and into the house....

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
Your room needs to be sealed...the vapor is going to coat everything....that's how it works. If your room was sealed you wouldn't be smelling it anywhere but your room.

S

ShorelineTex

I've accidentally burned sulfur in amateur pyrotechnic activities right in my face, and it ends up burning my throat and nose really bad for days. Water in your throat/nasal cavity + sulfur oxide gases = trip to the emergency room if you inhale enough. H2SO3 anyone? Sulfurous acid is no fun.

That's why they burn this stuff in hell.

B

bicycle racer

i use serenade for pm seems to work quite well its a bacterial product. safer than sulphur and a more permanent cure the bacteria consume the mildew also its a lot easier on plants.

E

ent

i use serenade for pm seems to work quite well its a bacterial product. safer than sulphur and a more permanent cure the bacteria consume the mildew also its a lot easier on plants.

i've heard a lot of good things about serenade and also any potassium bicarbonate based product, such as greencure.

one of the pro's of using a sulfur burner over a spray is that a burner, when used in a sealed room, will guarantee 100% coverage. the sprays are effective once they touch the mildew but they must come in contact.

serenade and greencure (potassium bicarbonate) are both oil free products. they can be used in conjunction with sulfur without fear of leaf burn.

personally i use sulfur until about week 4, then i switch to sprays. hopefully this will be the only run i'll have to worry about this. i'm going to clean the shit out of everything inbetween runs with bleach and i also got a fogger called Fungaflor TR to use when the plants are removed.

S

Strictly_Kush

If your only using it for an hour, why not leave your house for an hour and open some windows in your house? Maybe even put the sulpher burner on a timer, that way when you come back the house will be aired out..

D

DazedNconfussed

If your only using it for an hour, why not leave your house for an hour and open some windows in your house? Maybe even put the sulpher burner on a timer, that way when you come back the house will be aired out..

yeah, thats what im going to do....only sucky part is its 30-40 degrees outside...brrrrrr

D

Dubwobble

When I run my sulfur burner I can smell it a little bit throughout the whole house for a couple hours afterwards.

Never seemed to be a problem other than smelling like rotten eggs/matches & the direct smell of it makes me wanna gag.

As soon as you turn your intake/outake on again and the fans turn on the smell will start to leave.

Top Bottom