Is there something wrong with my plants?

• Thread starter WeeblerElf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

WeeblerElf

There is a slight yellowing in my leaves, and hole in one plant. What do you guys think the issue is?

Is there something wrong with my plants
Is there something wrong with my plants 2
Is there something wrong with my plants 3
Is there something wrong with my plants 4
az2000

az2000

What is the soil? What do you feed, how much, how often?

The soil looks dry. That could be good. Usually soils are kept too wet. How do you water/feed? Do you water/feed for runoff?

W

WeeblerElf

The soil is Fox Farm Happy Frog, I'm feeding them 3tsp grow big + 2tbs big bloom per gal, I meter the soil, and when it's dry I water and let 20% run off. I only do the nutes ever other watering. Now my Ph is a little high right now because I accidentally grabbed the wrong water and its Ph is 7.3.

az2000

az2000

The soil is Fox Farm Happy Frog, I'm feeding them 3tsp grow big + 2tbs big bloom per gal, I meter the soil, and when it's dry I water and let 20% run off. I only do the nutes ever other watering. Now my Ph is a little high right now because I accidentally grabbed the wrong water and its Ph is 7.3.

That's the driest Fox Farm soil I've ever seen. Usually they look heavy/dense/wet. What you're feeding is NPK ratio 1.31-1-1.17. That's reasonable. 530/669ppm. Seems a little strong. But, maybe that's how those nutrients are supposed to work. (I've read conflicting stories about Ocean Forest and Happy Frog being hotter than the other. If HF is the hot one, it seems like what you're feeding would be too much.).

Aside from all that. I think I see Mg def in the first photo. I would say add 1/4tsp/gal epsom salt. But, I see speckles in the second photo. Maybe something else is going on.

W

WeeblerElf

I was wondering if I might be over feeding especially with such a rich, nutrient soil.
The spots are what I'm worried about.

az2000

az2000

I was wondering if I might be over feeding especially with such a rich, nutrient soil.
The spots are what I'm worried about.

I've never grown with Fox Farm anything. Maybe someone else can guide you. I try to help based upon what I read. I thought consensus was that HF was less nutes, and you'd feed sooner. OF is more nutes, more risk of feeding too soon. (But, I've read it the other way around too. I don't think they publish anything on their bags about this.).

Your plants don't look overfed/burnt. If you water for 20% runoff, I wouldn't think you'd have a salt buildup problem. The plants look good except the first photo showing something like mg def (and the 2nd the spotting, maybe ca def?).

What kind of water do you use? Tap, RO? If tap, do you know anything about its chemistry? The ppms, and what they are? (If you're in the US, your water provider is required to publish that info every year. You can usually find it online. If not in the US, they should tell you if you call them.).

W

WeeblerElf

I'm using distilled water, PH 6.0 to 6.5 I don't know what the PPM's are.

az2000

az2000

I'm using distilled water, PH 6.0 to 6.5 I don't know what the PPM's are.

Typically, water should have some ppms (ideally 100-200) which would include some Mg and Ca. maybe that's the problem. Distilled has nothing. You could add 1g each gypsum & epsom salt to a gallon. That would add 61ppm Ca & 26ppm mg. (And, 83ppm sulfur). That would be a good starting point. Or, people use "calmag" products to do that too.

m8ty

m8ty

The plants look to be pretty young and small plants don't need all that many ppm's, I suspect burn spots.

Btw what are the light specs?

W

WeeblerElf

It might actually be the light. I didn't realize how fast they've grow. Just moved my lights up a few inches. I've had them on a 24/24, do you guys think I should switch to an 18/6?

Latest posts

Top Bottom