Is This A Deficiency?

• Thread starter 4HydrogenAtoms
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
4HydrogenAtoms

4HydrogenAtoms

Hi.
I was just wondering what is cause these Leaf Curls & Deformed Leaves.. And light yellowing of the leaves in certain parts?
Is this a deficiency
Is this a deficiency 2

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Simple answer is yes, a deficiency. However, it appears to be a slight deficiency due to improper pH, if I were to guess (and I am guessing). It's helpful to know a few parameters here.

Feed?
Water (quality)?
pH?
Temperature?
Relative humidity?

B

Budwiser0908

Hi.
I was just wondering what is cause these Leaf Curls & Deformed Leaves.. And light yellowing of the leaves in certain parts?View attachment 329337 View attachment 329338

I'm probably just paranoid and perhaps Seamaiden is correct, but the twisting of the leaves would have me looking for pests. Specifically, root aphids as well as broad mites will cause similar discoloration and disfigurement of the leaves. I would get the scope out and check the leaves and take a hard look in your medium for things moving. Water first and get a chair and sit and stare hard for signs of movement. SOmetimes it takes a few minutes for it be detectable.

Cort

Cort

Id check runoff for ph problems before i worried about pests. PH can twist leaves too, and causes all kinds of lockout deficiencies.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I do think that Budwiser has made a good point, and it's better to be proactive rather than reactive. Doesn't take much more time to set and check for pests than it does to test pH and other parameters. But looking at it again, to *my* eyes, it looks like a lockout or pH issue moreso than disease or pests.

4HydrogenAtoms

4HydrogenAtoms

Simple answer is yes, a deficiency. However, it appears to be a slight deficiency due to improper pH, if I were to guess (and I am guessing). It's helpful to know a few parameters here.

Feed?
Water (quality)?
pH?
Temperature?
Relative humidity?

-My Feed Is Relatively lower than what is asked to be used.
-Water Quality is Natural Rain Water.
-TDs readings give me around 850-860 (My Electric Ph meter broke so I've been using a liquid test indicator with results of 5.0-6.0ph)
-Temperature min. 77F max. 91 F
Humidity flux between 30%-60% Never lower than min or higher than max to date.

4HydrogenAtoms

4HydrogenAtoms

I'm probably just paranoid and perhaps Seamaiden is correct, but the twisting of the leaves would have me looking for pests. Specifically, root aphids as well as broad mites will cause similar discoloration and disfigurement of the leaves. I would get the scope out and check the leaves and take a hard look in your medium for things moving. Water first and get a chair and sit and stare hard for signs of movement. SOmetimes it takes a few minutes for it be detectable.

Been using my scope pen and no pest found, turned off bubbler to notice any movement in water and nothing...

4HydrogenAtoms

4HydrogenAtoms

Thanks guys, Im going to trouble shoot this problem over the next 2wks...
Back off on Feed and lighting distance..
-Also started Magic Green foliar spray, doing very well with my soil grow so far and color and strength of leaves. Noticed there fan like rather than droopy.
Will try this on my hydro grow.
I will keep you guys updated.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
-My Feed Is Relatively lower than what is asked to be used.
-Water Quality is Natural Rain Water.
-TDs readings give me around 850-860 (My Electric Ph meter broke so I've been using a liquid test indicator with results of 5.0-6.0ph)
-Temperature min. 77F max. 91 F
Humidity flux between 30%-60% Never lower than min or higher than max to date.
Do you test TDS/EC prior to adding nutrients? Is it possible to get the temps a wee bit lower? I haven't grown pure hydro (yet), so I can't speak to those pH parameters, they do seem a bit wide to me, but not outside of acceptable parameters... 5.0 may be getting a bit low. I find myself wondering if the plant's really getting a fully balanced feed. Can you post up its label information, please?

jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

Do you test TDS/EC prior to adding nutrients? Is it possible to get the temps a wee bit lower? I haven't grown pure hydro (yet), so I can't speak to those pH parameters, they do seem a bit wide to me, but not outside of acceptable parameters... 5.0 may be getting a bit low. I find myself wondering if the plant's really getting a fully balanced feed. Can you post up its label information, please?

the curling could be genetic...but it could also be pH...you need more accuracy than 5-6 pH, anything below 5.5 is a bit iffy if you leave room for pH measurement error...

Yeah, 5.0 is getting down there. At 5.0 ph Phosphorus is readily available but at the point where it will start to taper off big time if your meter is reading high or if your ph takes a dip for some reason. In addition, Aluminum skyrockets to deadly levels. Phosphorus becomes 1000x less available at 4.0 ph than at 5.0, and Aluminum becomes 1000x more available. So definitely try to keep a bottom of 5.3-5.5. I personally never liked going below 5.6. It seemed it took a day, day and a half longer for the plant to start using nutes. If I started at 5.7-5.9, they fed like crazy from the get go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom