Is this a Magnesium deficiency?

• Thread starter luxeluxe99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
m8ty

m8ty

Ok so my hydroton is media. Do I water my plants in hydro once a week?

Dude I understand you know what you have experience with and it makes sense to you because you have seen it. Different media requires different care I don't know how else to say it. Not all media works the same.

So no media is not media
we're chatting Coco filled pots not hydroton, coco hold on to the water unlike hydroton ..

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

we're chatting Coco filled pots not hydroton, coco hold on to the water unlike hydroton ..
Wrong hydroton holds water. Not nearly as well as coco. Just like coco or rockwool holds water but not as well as soil. That's why it's called soilless and needs watered far more often than soil. It dries out much faster. Even different soil mixes need treated differently.

I'm not gonna continue to argue this. It's really kinda rediculous that this is even a discussion feel free to think what you like.

I don't know what else to say but you are 100% wrong.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The only difference between hydro, soilless, or soil is simply the amount of water that the plants require, in general. It is my experience that it is the lack of O2 that causes damage in the root zone. As was mentioned, hydro systems use water as the media, while others use some type of mechanical structure that supports the roots and provides channels for O2 to penetrate as well as to drain excess water, since it will stagnate and use the dissolved O2 without some type of mechanical circulation (as in hydro).
In summary, I think it is the lack of O2 that causes root problems, regardless of the type of media that is being used. I'm talking in general and I'm sure that some might disagree, but this is my opinion based on my experiences and what I have accumulated in knowledge so far.

m8ty

m8ty

ok we can do this, we'll put two pots filled with coco, one we'll water four times a day and the other we'll water once a week, which one do we think is gonna grow right?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The only difference between hydro, soilless, or soil is simply the amount of water that the plants require, in general. It is my experience that it is the lack of O2 that causes damage in the root zone. As was mentioned, hydro systems use water as the media, while others use some type of mechanical structure that supports the roots and provides channels for O2 to penetrate as well as to drain excess water, since it will stagnate and use the dissolved O2 without some type of mechanical circulation (as in hydro).
In summary, I think it is the lack of O2 that causes root problems, regardless of the type of media that is being used. I'm talking in general and I'm sure that some might disagree, but this is my opinion based on my experiences and what I have accumulated in knowledge so far.
This ^^^

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

ok we can do this, we'll put two pots filled with coco, one we'll water four times a day and the other we'll water once a week, which one do we think is gonna grow right?
Smh dude proper coco mix. 4x feed a day will outgrow a soil plant given ideal environment for both.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok done before I become impolite. You can't fix stupid

m8ty

m8ty

Smh dude proper coco mix. 4x feed a day will outgrow a soil plant given ideal environment for both.
we're chatting coco not soil, two pots filled with coco, one coco filled pot gets watterd 4x a day and the other coco filled pot is watered once a week ...

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
we're chatting coco not soil, two pots filled with coco, one coco filled pot gets watterd 4x a day and the other coco filled pot is watered once a week ...
In my opinion, 4X a day doesn't accomplish any more than once a day, although even once a day can be excessive with small plants growing in larger containers. I use Promix, which is somewhat similar to coco, but doesn't compact as much, in my opinion. I water as needed, since the requirements chnge greatly as the plnt grows and matures. A larger Sativa might drink a gallon or more a day, while an Indica might be happy with a gallon or less every other day. You don't get more growth from more water other than what the plant needs for everyday operations, although the requirements change depending on the size, temp, and Rh.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

@Jimster is exactly right. It is all about oxygen levels at the root zone; if you can keep lots of oxygen around the roots you can keep them completely submerged in water, thus DWC systems. One of the advantages of running flood and drain systems is that the action of flooding and draining forces old air out with the flood and fresh air in with the drain, so with multiple floods a day it does a greater amount of oxygen exchange and increased growth rates are observed. This works in coco too, if you provide multiple feedings/waterings a day it will bring fresh oxygen to the root zone more often than if watered only once a day, again leading to increased growth rates. If doing single waterings per day in coco the coco holds onto moisture very well but has at least an equal amount of air holding capacity as well giving more available oxygen than in soil.

In relation to our nutes it all comes down to Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) of the medium we are in. CEC is a measure of how well our medium can hold onto cations and release, which in our case are typically the usable forms of the nutrients we are providing to our plants. Soil has a high CEC, meaning it will hold onto a lot of nutrients and when more nutrients are provided the soil will also release a significant amount of those nutrients. This is in part why most soil nutrient programs call for days of plain water, the nutrients applied yesterday will still be available a week from now. Coco has a much lower CEC than soil so while it does hold onto nutrients they are loosely bound. Plants have greater access to these nutrients as long as they are in the medium but they do pass through with relative ease. But it does allow for us to use nutrient feeds more often providing our plants with a bit more fresh nutrients with each dose as well as an exchange of the air.

BigCube

BigCube

That's why I like lining the bottom of my pots with hydroton. It helps bring oxygen to the medium and prevents the roots from sitting in stale sometimes salty water.

At least my plants seem to live it. They dont seem to grow as fast when I dont do it. I'm sure having fresh air always right there is a good thing 😆

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Jimster is exactly right. It is all about oxygen levels at the root zone; if you can keep lots of oxygen around the roots you can keep them completely submerged in water, thus DWC systems. One of the advantages of running flood and drain systems is that the action of flooding and draining forces old air out with the flood and fresh air in with the drain, so with multiple floods a day it does a greater amount of oxygen exchange and increased growth rates are observed. This works in coco too, if you provide multiple feedings/waterings a day it will bring fresh oxygen to the root zone more often than if watered only once a day, again leading to increased growth rates. If doing single waterings per day in coco the coco holds onto moisture very well but has at least an equal amount of air holding capacity as well giving more available oxygen than in soil.

In relation to our nutes it all comes down to Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) of the medium we are in. CEC is a measure of how well our medium can hold onto cations and release, which in our case are typically the usable forms of the nutrients we are providing to our plants. Soil has a high CEC, meaning it will hold onto a lot of nutrients and when more nutrients are provided the soil will also release a significant amount of those nutrients. This is in part why most soil nutrient programs call for days of plain water, the nutrients applied yesterday will still be available a week from now. Coco has a much lower CEC than soil so while it does hold onto nutrients they are loosely bound. Plants have greater access to these nutrients as long as they are in the medium but they do pass through with relative ease. But it does allow for us to use nutrient feeds more often providing our plants with a bit more fresh nutrients with each dose as well as an exchange of the air.
Yes... Just yes.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

+1

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
66667125 152146209209483 4651705471080239007 n

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

The fact that you have more PPM coming out of the overflow than is going in indicates that you have a surplus of nutrients, as OldSkl mentioined. I use very little nutrients compared to what some folks use and have great results. Plants aren't like people, where the more you are fed the bigger and fatter you get. Too much of a nutrient can cause other nutrients to not be used by the plant. I would recommend using a water only or a very light nutrient content until your outflow PPM drops somewhat. Once that is balanced out a little, you should see the plant recovering in the newer growth.

Plants make there own food. This thing called photosynthesis, maybe you've heard of it? Npk are NOT plant food. This is prominent backwards thinking thanks to corporate faggotism that's so rampant in the modern times.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Plants make there own food. This thing called photosynthesis, maybe you've heard of it? Npk are NOT plant food. This is prominent backwards thinking thanks to corporate faggotism that's so rampant in the modern times.
Here we go again. I suppose plants only need sunlight and water to thrive? Plants use photosynthesis to synthesize (hence the term) nutrients from a chemical reaction that involves sunlight and water, but you can't build a plant without nutrients, no matter how backwards or faggoty it seems.
Since you always seem to have the reasons WHY we are always wrong, perhaps you can solve this problem instead of trash talking folks. I know that you have been growing for decades, have a Phd in cellular biology, and are on top of everything... why don't you contribute some of your knowledge for helping others instead of constantly kicking folks around? A quick search of your contributions to growers is like a list of compliments given by Don Rickles.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sort of. But if you are going to challange someones post shouldnt you post proof of your own experience and get the facts right?

You dont seem to care about the facts. You just make them up on the fly.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

im confused here ,so if i feed or water my soil grow plant say twice a week,i use 2 gallons of nutes,then i feed my plant each time in coco with the same 2 gal of nutes made at same time and evened out 4 times a day,were is my waste,same feed rather in soil for 3 days or for a minute in my coco that yes does run out then it is used in my outdoor plants,were is the waste?
simple enough imo,soil holds the nutes and plant takes it in as food,stored right down there in the zone,depending on experience how much salt build up is there,no clue until you harvest.
coco feed in beginning very little maybe once a day as roots develop it takes more,believe me it will show you,to put the plant in veg mode you give it air,feeding the coco is more than nutes it is exchange of air,coco is always wet,let it dry and you got a long road to recovery period,so the coco is always wet,you provide more air to the root zone than the nutes if you dig,your replacing them with that same batch of fert you made that morning,it was already ph'ed and ppm were you want it,your not feeding the 2 gal each time if you dig,coco is just husk has not a damn thing in it for plants nothing isnt any difrent than using straight perlite as a media,the more you feed the more air exchange the more growth ,yes it does get to a point were soil catchs up with it,alot later in flower,you dd notice i said feed every time,there aint no just water plan here and no dry cycle nope do it regret it.
like ole jim said all exchange of air and hell i like fresh food myself just saying,so the replenish if it makes me grow too,like i said im confused about the waste thing,even this hydro im doing i empty the barrel right into my beans and such,yep hydro nutes used there in soil,so comes down to the hands and noggin imo again to what are you talking about as far as waste,im not seeing it

Top Bottom