Is this a malr plant???????

• Thread starter Steveystrappa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

well if its 10 days into flower I might bump it up to 2% chance it could be female (from.way less than 1, haha) A lot of my vigorous males have already formed a second or 3rd ball on the bunch of grapes if they are 10 days in. Most have shown more than yours, but Im talking about a cpl specific strains I've started from seed alot, and they were fast finishing indicas. I would never tell someone what to do with their plans or at least I will try not to unless I'm really stoned and forget, But I will say that I don't think they are physically capable of releasing pollen until the size where you can definitely identify them as male, they haven't gone through puberty yet haha. That being said what I do in that spot is to check every node of the suspect plants every day because they can mature in different areas of the same plant at different speeds of course. Also the little tiny thing I found that works is to backlight them (the nodes) with a flashlight or something it seems like I'm able to see the hair better or notice it sooner.
Well I think it's safe to say this guy is a male

20210621 143104
Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

I mean he is a really healthy male. It's such a shame. Now I have a question. If I leave it outside far away from my tent when will it produce pollen? I'm trying to save a branch to pollinate 1 branch on one of my female rainbow reserves. Any advice?

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

it's a numbers game what is far enough away? How can you be sure? Not saying you shouldn't do it or you will get pollinated just know the risks. If it were me I would do the same as I did to get pollen from my indoor males. 1st I didn't need much pollen so I removed all the sacks before they got large enough to open except for one branch with 3 or 4 sites then as I was waiting for them to actually open I would bag and rubberband the whole branch. Collection was easy enough, i did it out of my grow room and then killed off the brave Blueberry biy. When it came time to spread the pollen I would move to my basement, made sure it was as still as possible so that it wouldn't travel very far. I applied it to the flowers and then bagged them with a rubber band, and would crank the turbo fan out the window to make sure there werent any floaters. Changed clothes and showered after. I don't know if this is the proper technique it's just what made sense to me and it worked the 2 times that I've made seeds. I took the bags off about 12 hours later and did a foliar about 36 hrs after that to wash off any pollen that was still viable.

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

I might be in the same boat with a couple couch mystery seeds that I found and popped with my 1st run of autos this year. They are healthy, haven't participated in any of the short pest battles ive had and love anything I throw at them. Also they stink like skunky funk ever since they were 4 or 5 weeks old in veg. If I bump a branch it smells like a skunk took a shit on my porch. If I should be able to tell if what the sex is within the next week or 2 I should have known by now but I topped them and trained them so hard. Even if they are both males I might want to save these genetics.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

There is almost no such thing as far enough away.
When those pollen sacs pop you will have enough pollen floating in the air to wreck 100 acres of plants.
A light breeze can carry pollen up to 50 miles.

If you really want the pollen, then you need to take a bunch of steps.
I know a breeder but he's not on this forum.
It takes a lot to do breeding without wasting your smoke crop.

At minimum you will need a male room with door seals. (Tents are too porus)
I think he uses flour or talcum powder to mix with the pollen (it dies within a couple of days unless you preserve it somehow)
It's a complicated setup, and even he has lost a harvest to stray pollen.

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

There is almost no such thing as far enough away.
When those pollen sacs pop you will have enough pollen floating in the air to wreck 100 acres of plants.
A light breeze can carry pollen up to 50 miles.

If you really want the pollen, then you need to take a bunch of steps.
I know a breeder but he's not on this forum.
It takes a lot to do breeding without wasting your smoke crop.

At minimum you will need a male room with door seals. (Tents are too porus)
I think he uses flour or talcum powder to mix with the pollen (it dies within a couple of days unless you preserve it somehow)
It's a complicated setup, and even he has lost a harvest to stray pollen.
Yeah I'm probably better off just killing him. I don't wanna be responsible for ruining someone's harvest lol this is the other female of same strain

20210621 153250
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

He also had an outdoor grow last year and the hemp field 30 miles away went to pollen and his entire outdoor grow was nothing but seed. Junk seed.

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

Glad I gave the disclaimer I must have just been lucky cause the basement air was so damp and would have made it harder for pollen to travel.
There are other ways to save it until you are ready to try it safely. If anyone on here knows about tissue culture cloning maybe they could help you out also you could consider just taking a clone off of him that doesn't have a pollen sack and trying to save it that way. Grow it under a single bulb, u only need to keep it alive not as vigorous as a female you are going to bud. Taking another intuitive leap here but I do know something about genetics. A healthy male and a medium/neglected male of exact same genes will produce the same pollen. Maybe a lot more from the healthy one but same genetics. Wow i got off on a tangent there, just caught my 1st buzz of the day.

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

Yeah I should probably kill it... I did read some studies where pollinated female plants have more TAC% overall. But I wouldn't know. I'm just gonna kill him in a few minutes lol. I'll post a pic of the root ball. I'm curious...

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

I just did the deed 😥 very healthy plant and root system. This is only the top quarter of the roots in a 1 gallon fabric. I couldn't get the others out in tact it was so tight.

20210621 161233
20210621 161238
20210621 161503
20210621 161409
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The roots look small and weak. What were you planted in? It looks like coco mix.

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

Plants less then a month old about 24 days. Plants are xtremely healthy imo. This is less then a quarter of whole root system. Just cause note very root is a half inch thick doesn't mean it is week. Same plant 1 hour ago. It's in happy frog and clay stones

20210621 151757
Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

Plants less then a month old about 24 days. Plants are xtremely healthy imo. This is less then a quarter of whole root system. Just cause note very root is a half inch thick doesn't mean it is week. Same plant 1 hour ago. It's in happy frog and clay stones
And the picture is after I shook dirt out so could reveal roots

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I would add some root juice to the other one based on how this one looks.

Or this one:

Latest posts

Top Bottom