Is this a nutrient deficiency?

• Thread starter JayMan9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Stop adjusting the ph of your nutrient solution (unless using hydro), if you insist on adjusting the ph you must adjust the water before adding nutrients.
Always ph last. Silica if adding first then nutes and then ph the solution.

But I agree if you have built the soil right there should be no need to ph in most cases.

Last edited:
C

cronny

Sorry, but you are clearly blowing smoke. There is absolutely NO sign of nitrogen deficiency which would show itself by an overall yellowing of older, lower fan leaves and work its way up. Come on, even newbies know that.
Totally looks like nutrient burn but without more info on his feeding I can only guess it’s a bit too much nitrogen., or phosphorus deficiency.
Being able to diagnose a plant problem just from looking at it is a skill I have acquired through my years of growing.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Yeah I have that book too, it does you no good if you have been feeding it good and then the leaves start showing deficiency. It just makes it more confusing then it really is.
I don’t know. I’ve never “been feeding it good and then the leaves start showing deficiency making me more confused.”

C

cronny

Always ph last. Silica if adding donut first then nutes and then ph the solution.
It can lock out nutrients in the solution instantly. When you see that cloudiness in the solution when you add ph up that is the chemical reaction that can make some nutrients unavailable.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I don’t know. I’ve never “been feeding it good and then the leaves start showing deficiency making me more confused.”
He is saying if you have been feeding it properly and the plant is showing deficiencies it can be confusing to the grower and they start feeding more because they see deficiencies instead of getting to the root of the problem like ph, compact soil, overwatering, nutrient ratio imbalance, sodium build up etc.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It can lock out nutrients in the solution instantly. When you see that cloudiness in the solution when you add ph up that is the chemical reaction that can make some nutrients unavailable.
Yes depending on the nutrient sources and saturation points. Like calcium sulfate vs calcium nitrate. You ph last this is well known. Also why certain nutrient lines using different sources need 1 part or 2 part concentrates. It depends on the source.

Also it doesn't lock out the nutrient it causes it to precipitate out if the solution.

C

cronny

The plant has obviously been fed good it is big and healthy looking. So why would it be showing signs of deficiency.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The plant has obviously been fed good it is big and healthy looking. So why would it be showing signs of deficiency.
I agree I just don't feel confident as to the reason and you may very well be right. But it could be due to other causes, most of which your advice would fix. I'm not saying you are wrong just simply that I don't feel comfortable pinpointing it yet because there is not enough info

C

cronny

I agree I just don't feel confident as to the reason and you may very well be right. But it could be due to other causes, most of which your advice would fix. I'm not saying you are wrong just simply that I don't feel comfortable pinpointing it yet because there is not enough info
It looks like a big plant in a ten gallon pot of soil. Probably been in the same pot since it was half the size it is now. Which means that it is drinking a lot of nutrient water that leaves behind toxic salts in the soil that will lower the ph over time.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It looks like a big plant in a ten gallon pot of soil. Probably been in the same pot since it was half the size it is now. Which means that it is drinking a lot of nutrient water that leaves behind toxic salts in the soil that will lower
It looks like a big plant in a ten gallon pot of soil. Probably been in the same pot since it was half the size it is now. Which means that it is drinking a lot of nutrient water that leaves behind toxic salts in the soil that will lower the ph over time.
In the words of the mythbusters... Very plausible. Could also be over feeding with cal mag as is kind of the new rage. I am by no means saying you are wrong and there is a good chance you are right.

C

cronny

This is not true. Very early potassium and phosphorus will show dark green leaves before the start showing other symptoms.

Nutrient burn causing nutrient lockout? Are your talking about the roots. Are you talking due to sodium buildup or nitrogen toxicity? Nutrient burn is typically referred to as nitrogen toxicity in my experience.
It will show signs of nitrogen deficiency long before anything else

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It will show signs of nitrogen deficiency long before anything else

Why I'm thinking to much cal and not a lockout. But more info is needed by the OP and that's why I won't commit to a cause of the deficiency.

But you typically won't see nitrogen deficiency in flower when the plant needs more k. It really depends on nutrient ratios. I prefer an equal n to k in veg but higher k to n in flower

BudBogart

BudBogart

If it’s been fed good, salts won’t be elevating the ph. If it has been fed too many salts without flushing it has not been fed good.

C

cronny

Why I'm thinking to much cal and not a lockout. But more info is needed by the OP and that's why I won't commit to a cause of the deficiency.

But you typically won't see nitrogen deficiency in flower when the plant needs more k. It really depends on nutrient ratios. I prefer and equal n to k and a but higher k to n in flower
I've used cal mag for ever and never had a burn

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've used cal mag for ever and never had a burn
It's not a burn... It's a deficiency. Ca can affect the uptake of K. Let's be honest how often do you see a K deficiency in veg... Almost never... So I agree it's highly unlikely it's due to little available K.

I could absolutely be wrong but that's why I'm asking and not saying its the cause. Just a starting point in diagnosing since a K deficiency by itself in veg is sooo out if the norm. I'm thinking outside of the norm

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It would of had problems long ago if it was only fed nitrogen
He is saying if it has been well fed and not showing signs of nitrogen deficiency and you claim you would see that first. Why is there none? Yet it showing a K deficiency

Top Bottom