Is this a nutrient deficiency?

• Thread starter JayMan9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BudBogart

BudBogart

Do we even know if he is growing in soil, organically, miracle grow, what schedule, fed what, how, when? or what grow conditions the guy has? I’ve never seen so many definitive diagnosis with so little info. Can we here from the op or just acknowledge the many experts among us for their abilities?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Do we even know if he is growing in soil, organically, miracle grow, what schedule, fed what, how, when? or what grow conditions the guy has? I’ve never seen so many definitive diagnosis with so little info. Can we here from the op or just acknowledge the many experts among us for their abilities?
Yep I agree no way to know with out more info. It's a potassium deficiency... Cause unknown lol.

C

cronny

He is saying if it has been well fed and not showing signs of nitrogen deficiency and you claim you would see that first. Why is there none? Yet it showing a K deficiency
Because it is a ph issue, nitrogen can be used by the plant at a wider ph range. So if the soil has dropped to say 4.5 ph it can still take in plenty of nitrogen but almost no potassium.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Because it is a ph issue, nitrogen can be used by the plant at a wider ph range. So if the soil has dropped to say 4.5 ph it can still take in plenty of nitrogen but almost no potassium.
Yup but how many other deficiencies would there be at 4.5 along with potassium. Anywho I'm not saying you are wrong and all this chatter means nothing until we get more info. I agree what you suggested will likely fix the issue but the cause is still unknown in my books.not doubting you and enjoyed the chat getting to know ya bit better.just giving the reasons behind my statement cause you kinda said I was wrong.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Yup but how many other deficiencies would there be at 4.5 along with potassium. Anywho I'm not saying you are wrong and all this chatter means nothing until we get more info. I agree what you suggested will likely fix the issue but the cause is still unknown in my books.not doubting you and enjoyed the chat getting to know ya bit better.just giving the reasons behind my statement cause you kinda said I was wrong.
You have the nutrients dialed in, seriously, chemistry is your thing.

BudBogart

BudBogart

He is saying if you have been feeding it properly and the plant is showing deficiencies it can be confusing to the grower and they start feeding more because they see deficiencies instead of getting to the root of the problem like ph, compact soil, overwatering, nutrient ratio imbalance, sodium build up etc.
I’ve got that, but first we would see what the problem was (potassium deficiency), and then start to identify the cause. If in an organic soil with plenty of nitrogen but no added p or k, just starting to flower and these signs appear, a farmer would add p and k. If the farmer had been adding lots of p and k on a frequent basis he would then have to analyze what conditions have been created, ph, nutrients analysis, etc., and determine his best course of action. Still no need for being too confused to identify the problem with the aid of a picture.

BudBogart

BudBogart

These may help, hopefully not too confusing. One is soil, one for hydro.
20A34676 8DE3 42B7 A6F3 155680C59B65
92DFAA10 82E9 4EC3 B2DF 4C72E43591B5

C

cronny

I’ve got that, but first we would see what the problem was (potassium deficiency), and then start to identify the cause. If in an organic soil with plenty of nitrogen but no added p or k, just starting to flower and these signs appear, a farmer would add p and k. If the farmer had been adding lots of p and k on a frequent basis he would then have to analyze what conditions have been created, ph, nutrients analysis, etc., and determine his best course of action. Still no need for being too confused to identify the problem with the aid of a picture.

It doesnt matter what the
No you dont need to know any of that stuff to be able to tell the difference between a nutrient deficiency and a ph problem. Nutrient deficient plants have multiple things happening at once, slow or stunted growth, woodie purpling stems, smaller fan leaves, weak new growth, water uptake slows. When a ph problem occurs it can seem like with in a few days the plant just starts dying. That is why potassium is the first to show, the uptake of potassium drops to about 10% within a half a ph point.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It doesnt matter what the

No you dont need to know any of that stuff to be able to tell the difference between a nutrient deficiency and a ph problem. Nutrient deficient plants have multiple things happening at once, slow or stunted growth, woodie purpling stems, smaller fan leaves, weak new growth, water uptake slows. When a ph problem occurs it can seem like with in a few days the plant just starts dying. That is why potassium is the first to show, the uptake of potassium drops to about 10% within a half a ph point.
Have to disagree. Depending on the deficiency they usually show by themselves or sometimes in small groups and usually have early indicators as you said purpling etc. Ph is usually overall plant health and shows multiple signs of deficiencies as well as transpiration issues and stunting in my experience. Of course this is all dependant on severity and not always the case. Essentially they are kind of one and the same ph can cause deficiencies.

DiverDown

DiverDown

It looks like a big plant in a ten gallon pot of soil. Probably been in the same pot since it was half the size it is now. Which means that it is drinking a lot of nutrient water that leaves behind toxic salts in the soil that will lower the ph over time.
OH BOY..... I have been following this thread, as I also am a new grower and have nutrient issues. Aqua Man helped me figure out I was over feeding. My plants look great right now, BUT I do have some of the leaves that look like the pictured ones, but they are at the bottom. I thought it was just the lower ones being the natural die off. Then one of you three said the plants need to be repotted. CRAP! I moved mine out with the thought once out, I do not repot again. They are in 10 gallon bags. ...... us newbies are reading are soaking up the info passed around. My head is spinning.....

C

cronny

Have to disagree. Depending on the deficiency they usually show by themselves or sometimes in small groups and usually have early indicators as you said purpling etc. Ph is usually overall plant health and shows multiple signs of deficiencies as well as transpiration issues and stunting in my experience. Of course this is all dependant on severity and not always the case. Essentially they are kind of one and the same ph can cause deficiencies.
Only in soil less mediums where there is no ph buffer and all the nutrient water must be ph balanced is where you will see multiple ph related deficiencies. Soil doesn't have large ph swings like hydro. So the most mobile nutrients will be choked out immediately when it passes a certain ph level.

C

cronny

OH BOY..... I have been following this thread, as I also am a new grower and have nutrient issues. Aqua Man helped me figure out I was over feeding. My plants look great right now, BUT I do have some of the leaves that look like the pictured ones, but they are at the bottom. I thought it was just the lower ones being the natural die off. Then one of you three said the plants need to be repotted. CRAP! I moved mine out with the thought once out, I do not repot again. They are in 10 gallon bags. ...... us newbies are reading are soaking up the info passed around. My head is spinning.....
How long have they been in the 10 gallon pots

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Only in soil less mediums where there is no ph buffer and all the nutrient water must be ph balanced is where you will see multiple ph related deficiencies. Soil doesn't have large ph swings like hydro. So the most mobile nutrients will be choked out immediately when it passes a certain ph level.
Both have buffers or at least should or your in for a world of problems. But I get what your saying. In this case potassium would be one of the last mobile nutrients locked out due to ph. It's got a very large range. Again let me stress that in just having an enjoyable convo that I can hopefully take some info away from. I'm far from knowing it all and only have cannabis experience in hydro. Just incase it's not coming off that way

Added: Kinda why I was leaning toward calcium in veg. It's not something you see but again neither is potassium deficiency in veg. I still don't think you are wrong though it could be nutrient buildup causing lockout due to ph but I would lean more towards salinity of the soil if not calcium

Last edited:
DiverDown

DiverDown

Are they in soil
June 15 they went into the 10 gallon pots, except one I put in the ground. The one in the ground does not have any issues at all ever. But the others do have the lower inside leaves turning brown and yellow. But I have been over feeding. The one in the ground obviously can handle my screw up.

Top Bottom