Is this a nutrient deficiency?

• Thread starter JayMan9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cronny

Only in soil less mediums where there is no ph buffer and all the nutrient water must be ph balanced is where you will see multiple ph related deficiencies. Soil doesn't have large ph swings like hydro. So the most mobile nutrients will be choked out immediately when it passes a certain ph level.
Yes I agree that you can have multiple deficiencies from ph problems but the deficiency isn't the problem it's the ph. A deficiency problem shows many symptoms before late stage potassium deficiency. The plant is pulling potassium from older unneeded leaves.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Potassium deficiency. Are you in flower yet?
^
I suspect it's a potassium deficiency caused by improper pH
Screenshot 20190722 172849 Chrome

C

cronny

June 15 they went into the 10 gallon pots, except one I put in the ground. The one in the ground does not have any issues at all ever. But the others do have the lower inside leaves turning brown and yellow. But I have been over feeding. The one in the ground obviously can handle my screw up.
Are they flowering have buds set yet

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes I agree that you can have multiple deficiencies from ph problems but the deficiency isn't the problem it's the ph. A deficiency problem shows many symptoms before late stage potassium deficiency. The plant is pulling potassium from older unneeded leaves.
Fair enough... Have to excuse me I just have a hard time seeing ph with no other deficiencies.. I get salinity causing it, maybe calcium on the outside chance. Like I said hydro grower. I would love to see a slurry test from the OP to see what's going on.

Also I see a deficiency as a symptom not a cause. Like ph causes a deficiency, low oxygen causes deficiency etc etc.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Idk I can see salinity for the life of me I can't seem to grasp ph since K is sooooo available over a wide range. Maybe another nutrient but not K.

I agree that flushing would correct any of our thoughts of cause. PH, salinity or the off chance of high calcium.

C

cronny

Fair enough... Have to excuse me I just have a hard time seeing ph with no other deficiencies.. I get salinity causing it, maybe calcium on the outside chance. Like I said hydro grower. I would love to see a slurry test from the OP to see what's going on.

Also I see a deficiency as a symptom not a cause. Like ph causes a deficiency, low oxygen causes deficiency etc etc.
Yes deficiencies are symptoms of a problem. But the way they pop up with ph problems is different then just a plant that needs more nutrients.

C

cronny

Idk I can see salinity for the life of me I can't seem to grasp ph since K is sooooo available over a wide range. Maybe another nutrient but not K.

I agree that flushing would correct any of our thoughts of cause. PH, salinity or the off chance of high calcium.
The ph could be high causing an iron deficiency which looks very similar.

JayMan9

JayMan9

Doesn't look like your in flower are you feeding high amounts of calcium by chance?
I had a friend watch my plants for a week. That plant was in the smallest pot and it was over watered. I am not sure if that is a contributing factor or not. I fed the plant with a 20-20-20 when I returned and it actually seems to be worsening a little. I'll add more photos. I also was thinking potassium deficiency. I see there is a difference of opinion on whether it's burn or deficient. I'm hoping that adding more photos will sort things out.

JayMan9

JayMan9

You are both wrong, this is a very common issue I only see in rootbound veg plants and late stage flowering plants, it's a combination of both a burn and a deficiency caused by certain nutrients being locked out of either the soil, or the nutrient solution before watering, it is a deficiency late in flower during the flush but is accompany with a nitrogen deficiency which will happen way before the other deficiencies. If it happens in large vegging plants it is because of a ph problem in the soil caused by over feeding without enough flushing. The only way to fix the ph problem is to repot into a bigger pot with new soil and give plain water for 2 weeks.
I have repotted into a large pot. I added 40 litres of new soil. I can hold off on feeding for the next week and see if there is any improvement.

JayMan9

JayMan9

I never said it was which is why I asked about calcium supplementation. If it was in flower I may think otherwise. I agree it could be ph but it could be calcium excess or other. It's not very common in veg so I would not recommend adding it and say 99% it's not due to to little in the medium bit rather it's not available for one reason or another.
I have not supplemented with any calcium.

C

cronny

I have repotted into a large pot. I added 40 litres of new soil. I can hold off on feeding for the next week and see if there is any improvement.
Yes if the new soil has nutrients you wont need to feed for at least a week

JayMan9

JayMan9

It looks like a big plant in a ten gallon pot of soil. Probably been in the same pot since it was half the size it is now. Which means that it is drinking a lot of nutrient water that leaves behind toxic salts in the soil that will lower the ph over time.
It was repotted into that large pot about a week ago. Was in a pot half that size for about 8 weeks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

OP can you do a slurry test and check ph and ppm. That should give you a good indication. And yes over watering can cause low oxygen and limit nutrient uptake and also affect respiration.

More photos would be great

JayMan9

JayMan9

OP can you do a slurry test and check ph and ppm. That should give you a good indication. And yes over watering can cause low oxygen and limit nutrient uptake and also affect respiration.

More photos would be great
Give me a moment.

Top Bottom